TV Show Discussion Thread

SNL is on tonight, they kicked it off with a Last Supper easter skit…

That’s not my point here.
The Background music they used, this church chorus music, sounds exactly like a similar one used in Hitman. (Maybe in the church? It’s very distinct, lengthy chorus notes)

I’m sure with how much content is in Hitman to make each level, I wouldn’t be surprised that some of that is stock music… but I’m surprised Hitman remained the only place I’d heard it until now!

EDIT: video for people in the USA

And video for canadians and probably others

2 Likes

If it is the Hitman church music, it’ll be this.
Didn’t watch SNL so i don’t know it it is!

3 Likes

Yeah I’m like 90% sure they used this in the skit! Nice!

I guess it’s public domain

3 Likes

Just watched it on YouTube and it is! Gotta love Ave Verum Corpus

2 Likes

BEEF

Comedy/Drama series on Netflix about a road rage incident between two people that slowly keeps escalating to hilarious and later violent levels, affecting everyone in thier personal lives. Thoroughly entertaining, I highly recommend this one. :+1:

5 Likes

Was talking with my sister about what she thought of the Last of Us finale.
She really enjoyed it and the ambiguity of Joel’s choice.

She also mentioned she already got spoiled on the sequel a bit… :frowning: She knows Joel dies.

She also dropped the bombshell that she “knows” that Ellie “befriends/dates the daughter of the doctor Joel kills” … “Abby right? daughter of the doctor that joel kills?”
LMAOOO wow that’d be freakin weird.
I have the heart to tell her that she’s dead wrong, but I hope she can cut herself off from the REAL truth about Abby.

4 Likes

Joel dies? huh… I guess he’ll have more time to be a Mandalorian then!

4 Likes

I’m sure we’ll see his force ghost appear in the finale of TLOU Part 3.

4 Likes

HBO Max is becoming just plain Max (:yawning_face:) next month.

And they released a teaser for True Detective: Night Country, which I’m mostly excited about because Jodie Foster. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Jeez, seeing the “Max” branding at the end of the title gives me no feeling whatsoever. Its so bland :sweat_smile:

HBO may have fumbled GOT with its writers but its still a moniker of prestige, quality TV.
What are the execs thinking oof

5 Likes

They took the old Cinemax branding too far, I think.

2 Likes

Forgot to talk about some recent shows I’ve finished/started…

Umbrella Academy Season 3
Back in the big city, and dealing with an alt-timeline plot with a new group of supers.

It was pretty cool to see some of the new heroes and how their powersets work and clash with others until a lot of them died unfortunately, but honestly it was probably because they were going to be super OP anyway – the poison girl was just insufferably powerful

Seeing a somewhat supportive Reginald was also really great, he and Klaus had some great scenes together – and even though his methods are still overly harsh and traumatizing, I liked seeing the man actually excited and engaged in interacting with his “kids” and super-people for once.

But of course he’s obviously not to be trusted in any timeline, and yeah he’s actually more evil than ever this time around. Fuuuuuckin’ murderer too.

Allison was the worst aspect of the season. It was tragic what has happened to her so far, but someone REALLY needed to give her a debriefing on alternate timelines and the paradox they’re in.

She kept making so many excuses to be a dick, acting as if her child was murdered. (But she wasn’t). That there was no way to get back to normal (there is, and it’s what this season is about) And in fact, her daughter never existed, nor did Allison for that matter in this timeline, and everything could be resolved by going back to an alternate timeline where she has a daughter – which again this entire season’s mission was all about??!
My god, and the stuff with Harlan?!! Murders the actually cool autistic representation of the show off-screen, just because she felt like it, and then shrugs off his death as a meaningless event that didn’t bring her peace or even regret??! The AUDACITY. UGH.

She became so unlikeable to me this season, all dark and brooding and a jerk to so many people.

Really enjoyed Viktor in this season. It’s super cool that the writers were quick on the up-take and got his character to transition alongside him, and they dealt with it with so much care, it was great. Literally no character took any issue with his name change and appearance and that’s really awesome, how it should be. Even daddy Reggie was immediately using it, cool!

Idk, it was an overall enjoyable season with lots of action, music, and emotion, but there were some notable frustrations I had that made watching it a struggle.
Excited to see where it ends up in Season 4 as they’ve set up quite the big final antagonist.

Poker Face

Human Lie Detector travels around the country (on the run) and comes across various murders – she proceeds to help solve them by deducing who is lying, and how to get them to slip up.

It’s a really, really fun show. Some stellar guest casting in each episode, with an always fun murder to watch unfold and the mystery of how Charlie is going to crack the case wide open.
Great cinematography in a few episodes too, and I really came to like the banjo-inspired soundtrack and main theme.

I love that they let the audience share this lie-detecting superpower, as you always see the murder happen first, so you know who is going to lie about the victim – and seeing how they might get caught (or avoid) Charlie’s detection is great fun.

I’ve heard it’s heavily inspired by Columbo so I should probably check that out if I want more of this fun how-catchem formula.

Recently started Yellowjackets… My dad started season 2 recently, but wanted to rewatch S1 as a refresher, since he’s forgotten who-is-who in the friend group.

Very interesting concept of a thriller show – a high school soccer team crashes in a plane on their way to Nationals, and gets stranded in the Canadian wilderness for 19 months, at one point turning and hunting each other…; The show flips between events in the Wilderness, and much later in life as Adults, having escaped their pasts, and each other – but some people are digging up old wounds, and eager to… “Reconnect” :thinking:

Only seen the first episode but it’s a good thriller. Lots of mystery about what went down in the past, and what they all have to hide as adults.
I’m finding it a bit difficult to keep track of all the teens in the flashback scenes, but I’m sure that number might be thinning out sooner or later, since it’s clear not all team members survived the wilds.

2 Likes

Frankly, I ended the 3rd season of Umbrella Academy really disliking Allison. I hope they find a way to redeem her in season 4 because she deserved better than that story line. I mean she basically r(aped)umored Luther and that was about it for me. We know they can do great characters and that’s what Allison got? No thank you.

2 Likes

This past weekend I binged all 3 seasons of Star Trek: Picard. All three seasons were pretty good, I’d say the weakest was season 2 cause most of it was set on 2024’s Earth (ie, not enough Star, not enough Trek). The first two seasons were interesting in how they mostly used previous Star Trek actors sparingly and gave new cast members more time to shine.

In season 3, though there were also several new cast members featured, the season also served as a reunion show for the cast from The Next Generation. I was surprised by how well most of the fanservice moments were integrated into the plot, and all the legacy cast had their own moments in the season. The ending of the season sets up for The Next Next Generation, so it’ll be interesting to see if they follow up on it with a more traditional “plot of the week” Star Trek show. If this is the last we ever see of Picard and co. I’d be fine with that too.

4 Likes

Just want to give an overview of all the shows I/my family are currently getting into as groups, for those of you that only stick to one or two at a time.

I am currently watching Mr. Robot and What we Do in the Shadows with a friend of mine, thanks to remote watch features on streaming.

My parents and my sister are getting through Ted Lasso Season 3, I am not joining them since I haven’t gotten around to checking out the show yet.

We’ve all just recently started watching Yellowjackets because my dad wanted a rewatch because he needed a Season2 refresher and also House of the Dragon that my sister has been craving to get us to watch together.

My sister and my dad are binging more The Amazing Race now that she’s back from university.

There’s also Barry’s final season that my dad and I haven’t started yet, but I hope to soon, at least once some of these shows start clearing out of my list.

And I hope to convince my folks to watch Andor together since I still haven’t seen it and everyone says it’s peak.

And that doesn’t mention the TV shows we’re all watching individually! My goodness there’s just too much out there (and we’ve started too many at once lol)

1 Like

… sure, why not?

Now I’m gonna have Steal My Sunshine in my head for days.

2 Likes

The writers are officially on strike, with late night shows shutting down immediately.

I remember the 2007/08 strike killing the momentum on several promising new shows. (RIP Pushing Daisies.) It’s going to be interesting seeing how this affects things in the age of streaming.

6 Likes

Part of me is happy that the only TV show I currently watch is Barry.

It’s releasing its last episodes in the following weeks, production having finished for a while now. So no issue with the strike.

As for the strike itself : as usual, solidarity!

5 Likes

A bit of a teaser and the reveal of the names of the Doctor Who anniversary specials.

Special 1: The Star Beast
Special 2: Wild Blue Yonder
Special 3: The Giggle

Not my favorite titles, but I’m all in for more Donna.

3 Likes

Good evening 47, your target calls himself Mr. Giggles…

But mmmm it looks fun!! So excited for NPH’s villain

3 Likes