Unpopular Opinions

thats the most long winded explanation for “suspension of disbelief” I’ve ever seen

Felt that phrase was too commonly used and inadequate for my purposes.

are people claiming they’ve never been immersed in a movie? odd. personally, it’s the whole reason I watch movies. from what I’ve gathered, the movies that don’t immerse me tend to be the ones I find boring.

I totally understand where Heisenberg is coming from.

2 Likes

On the subject of movies:

Horror movies that rely on jumpscares are the least scary type of horror. I recently watched the Conjuring 1 & 2 and Insidious. I caught myself getting bored sometimes because the only intense parts came from the buildup to a jumpscare. And those scares immediatly erase all tension. Some silly looking bloke pops his heads on screen and screams. :roll_eyes:

Good horror comes from a tight story and a strong atmosphere. I find movies like The Witch, The Others, Signs, The Village and The Babadook a lot scarier cause they get under my skin. Those are a lot more immersive to me that a jumpscare filled rollercoaster ride.

This frustrates me because it seems like these days the general audience eat that shit up. My ma and sis claim to be horror enthusiasts but get bored by movies like The Ring or Black Swan because its not loaded with jumpscares. Apparently all you have to do is film a dogshit narrative and throw in a dude with a moronic mask to entertain people. I hate that, because horror can be truly great, but bad horror creates a stigma on the whole genre.

5 Likes

Good Horror movies are rare nowadays. Nightmare on Elm Street, The Thing, The Fly, The Living Dead Trilogy - not a single loud jumpscare in those, yet they are scary af.

A relative recent horror movie i saw and really liked was “oculus”, that was a good movie. Very suspenseful and spooky, without cheap loud Violine stings.

3 Likes

I like both. Brooding psychologic horror, deep tension that never lets up. Stuff like Annihilation or Midsommar.

But I also thought both Insidious and Conjuring were done really well. Insidious is very camp but I hate the possession and ghost shit so I found it very scary. Maybe I’m just a big baby, I dunno.

A good example of a something that has a bit of both is Haunting of Hill House. I adore that show.

2 Likes

My one gripe with The Thing is that they reveal the alien (or rather its nature) too early. The first half an hour or so is a masterclass in suspense- and atmosphere-building and I generally prefer the movies where I feel the presence of the monster/danger, but don´t fully see it until later (e.g. Jaws, Jurassic Park, The Exorcist, Predator). Here once they show off the alien, the horror focuses too much on the body gore which is more disgusting than scary/disturbing. Although the whole paranoia thing regarding who may or may not be “fake” is what elevates it, I feel it could´ve been even better if they kept the audience unwitting for a bit longer.

4 Likes

I like horror movies that are most scary in their broader implications and possibilities. Two main examples that come to mind are Event Horizon and Maximum Overdrive.

In the case of the former, all the possible explanations regarding what is on the other side of that warp portal. Every possibility is terrifying. We’re given a few explanations as to what is happening, both of which kind of rub up against each other, but there’s a few other possibilities that are not discussed which, by implication, may actually be even more disturbing. But, we’re never given clarification.

In the case of the latter, the wide-ranging impact of every electrically powered or connected machine on earth suddenly coming to life with the desire to do nothing except kill, injure, or otherwise harm every human being in sight, all without warning, and lasting anywhere from four to eight days, depending on the nature of the event. The word catastrophic would be appropriate. But we’re only given subtle clues as to how bad things have gone in a local sense, with how the rest of the world is faring being left to the imagination beyond a news report that confirms it is indeed happening everywhere.

These two films may not necessarily be scary in the rawest sense, as they’re a bit silly in premise and execution, but the existential horror they create about how helpless humanity really is and how bad things might be for us, without giving out details as to how bad and letting you imagine it yourself, makes them much scarier than movies that spell it out for you, let you know how it ends, or relies on jump scares and gross-outs to driving the horror theme.

2 Likes

whoops we’re in the unpopular opinions thread and not after school horror appreciation.

all horror movies fucking suck, romantic comedy is the only good genre

1 Like

Scaredy cat detected

3 Likes

sweat drops intensifies

Yup I love romance and I totally understand jokes :grin:

No but seriously, fair enough, if you dig romcoms that’s cool :purple_heart:. I’m more of a psychological horror and true crime type of person myself.

2 Likes

was a joke but lalaland and crazy stupid love are unironically some of my favorites <3

1 Like

I can’t really get into romcoms because all I ever hear anymore is how problematic they are.

I don’t know how or when this became a trope, but I’m getting bored of seeing this: if, in any kind of fictional setting that takes place roughly in the present day, you have a character who is a black man and is a bounty hunter, that character is going to be wearing a cowboy hat and a trench coat. You do not see this with a character of any other race or gender, at least not exclusively. Jason Goes To Hell, The Blacklist, Fear The Walking Dead, it doesn’t matter. If your bounty hunter is a black man, he will look like he belongs in a Marty Robbins song.

The last “horror” movie i watched was the nun after which i couldn’t sleep alone for a year :{

1 Like

I have never in my life had a bad dream or a sleepless night because of a horror movie (or any other kind for that matter).

I only saw 3 movies in an actual cinema and The Nun was one of 'em. I remember the little kids in the front rows laughing throughout the entire thing, mostly because of the Frenchie character.

There were also lots of “don’t look back” from them :grin:

2 Likes

I’m thinking… Cursive writing isn’t necessarily a different way of writing, but a method in which you can flow from one letter to the next… Instead of writing each individual letter in a mechanical fashion (who does that?). One might reach a level where their handwriting looks cursive, but it can still look mostly “printed” as long as you can have a flow going while writing anything down.

Is that unpopular? Maybe more of a thought that not a lot of people considered before. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Youtubers making content about other youtubers is the lowest-brow form of entertainment on the planet, outside of tiktok videos. Who the fuck is Sneako? Who the fuck is Dr. Distasteful or whoever the fuck? Why is anybody acting like these people mean anything? What’s happened, why do we glorify people sitting in their bedroom talking into a mic and uploading empty clickbait content for children? Why do we act like this shit matters?

3 Likes

Very popular opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes