Unpopular Opinions

I mean what spods said is self-evident honestly, holidays are an objective good time to structure gatherings but I guess I just feel we should have more time off.

I have a feeling @Heisenberg would debate you on that. Mostly because water being wet isn’t technically agreed upon.

Are you American? Thought you were Australian

1 Like

My greater point is: do we even want to see each other on holidays? Holidays all seem to be about anxiety from being around each other and being able to afford food and gifts and trips, all to spend time with people we don’t really like, sometimes outright despise, all because of the expectation that we are supposed to spend time with them due to them simply being our blood families. Social media has become more and more filled with people seeming to share in that view point as more years pass. It seems to me our society would be a lot healthier if we could just admit that we don’t really like these holidays anymore, mainly because of the expectation we’ve put in place that we have to be around these people.

True. Water technically isn’t wet; it makes things wet.

Good, we’re back to your opinion based on your own family/SoMe observations. It may surprise you, but many, many, many people really like holidays.

2 Likes

It may surprise you that many, many, many more people don’t like them. I think you missed that part in the middle of my paragraph. This is not solely based on my opinion; I just happen to agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment.

I am Australian. We have more days we can schedule as holidays off from work (I remember an American co-worker told me how much you can take off and I remember it being shockers) but we lack a Thanksgiving (some families will see each other on Easter and then never again until Christmas) and we don’t have a federal labour day (which means most states differ on when we do celebrate it ad none of us use the American date)

1 Like

You sound like you have some official statistics about who likes and dislikes Christmas.

I’m not the one making this statement:

In any event, liking the holidays, and liking spending time with family during those holidays are not the same thing.

Im not stating as fact where the majority lies. You are.

Odd thing to say. They’re not mutually exclusive.

Yes, you are. You are literally making the same argument I am from the other direction, so if you’re going to accuse me of stating as fact where the majority lies, then so are you. Only one of our positions can be the majority, and if you’re going to refute mine, that means that you’re claiming yours is.

And yes, they’re not mutually exclusive, that’s what I said, so where’s the confusion?

Nah bro its a bit different. I said many people like something. You then reply that more people actually dislike it. That makes it sound like you’re looking at a statistic.

I didn’t not say “more” in the sense of greater numbers. It was “more” in the sense of there being many, many more people to consider in the equation and they are of the opposite position. It was not a claim of my position being greater in number. Consider the context.

Alright, it just sounded like you meant more people when you said more people. No worries.

Also when you say two things are not the same thing it sounds like youre saying they’re mutually exclusive. Just a heads up.

And I think it sounds pretty unhealthy to be in a dynamic where you feel forced to be together with people you outright despise. Sounds quite sad tbh. Can’t you host your own get together with friends and family members you like? Maybe you wouldn’t hate it so much then.

I have no friends and I despise my family. I would never waste my precious free time on them. My wife and my dog are all I need. My most meaningful relationships aside from that are on this forum.

1 Like

Aw that sounds awful :frowning:

3 Likes

Not really, it’s quite liberating to keep your circle of trust very small and just dispense with the rest of the muck that is humanity.

The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.

1 Like

I may be about to really kick a hornets’ nest on this one, but…

…

I liked John Travolta in Battlefield: Earth. I don’t like Battlefield: Earth, but I like Travolta’s role. His over-the-top portrayal of an alien that wouldn’t be imposing even in season two of Star Trek: The Next Generation, was actually perfect for movie so ridiculous and terrible, and was the only enjoyable thing to find in that train wreck.

4 Likes

That isn’t controversial at all, Travolta is like the one thing everybody who has ever seen Battlefield Earth can agree on is the most entertaining thing about the movie.

Alongside the shitty Dutch angles and ties to the Church of Scientology he is the most talked about thing about the movie.

This is a huge step down from your Wham-based opinions last year.

1 Like

Because this one is actually opinion. I just don’t get why he gets so much shit talked about the downturn in his career due to this role. He’s had worse roles in better movies.

1 Like