Upcoming Video Games

Despite the massive shortcomings of ME3 and Andromeda, I can say Mass Effect is still a phenomenal series. While I do understand choosing not to preorder, I think with this new edition being more of a update rather the a remake, like Resident Evil 2 for example, it seems there’s a smaller chance of them fucking it up. I think I’ll pick it up though it probably won’t be on day one.

1 Like

i only ever played me1. it was alright. reminded me of starflight, if anyone is old enough to remember that?

2 Likes

I used to have the Genesis version, but I haven’t thought about it in years.

I got it second-hand so I didn’t have the instruction booklet and I don’t think I ever knew what the heck was going on, but every once in a while I’d bust it out and fly around a solar system and land on some random planet to do some mining. :laughing:

It was fun, but it’s definitely a prime case of something that I would have enjoyed a lot more if the internet had been around for me to look stuff up so I could figure out how it worked. :grin:

2 Likes

yes! i had the mega-drive version. it was hugely complicated… even with instructions. :joy: me and my brother pored over it but never got anywhere close to finishing it.

always wanted an updated version of starflight and me1 sort of scratched that itch. i heard me2 ditched a lot of the starflight influence so never bothered with it.

2 Likes

Not sure why but I never was interested in the series. I think I even have the second one on Origins. Most articles I saw about each games were about all the NPC you can bang… I also don’t like RPGs that have voiced protagonists, same problem I have with Fallout 4.
I’ll stick to Daggerfall / Morrowind and be boring :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Postal 4 is definetly coming together nicely. Still long ways to go before completion though, although apparently they want to hit version 1.0 by the end of this year. So perhaps not too long until Thursday. Mind you, they have nearly finished the map now, it seems like there are only 2 areas left in the center of the map that need built, since Friday won’t add any new areas, maybe aside from a mission area.

Not sure I’d really recommend the alpha to anyone who doesn’t already enjoy Postal 2. But I’m hoping by the time it does hit version 1.0, it will be a very worthwhile game.

2 Likes

I think that RWS tried a bit too hard to be funny with this one. P4 is more similar to Paradise Lost than P2, which is not bad but everything starts out wacky straight from the start. P2 was very mundane on the surface and missions were not out of the ordinary (until shit really hit the fan).

Also the map in P4 is a big too big with too many unused spaces for it’s own good. I rather have it a bit more compact with lots of details and less tedious walking that a huge wasteland that makes me wish for an auto-walk function and stare at flat empty areas. I know it’s alpha but I don’t think much will change related to the level design.

Still, we’re getting a Postal game in 2021 which is a miracle by itself so I’m still thankful :laughing:

2 Likes

Ugh… at least I’m not a fan of KH.

4 Likes

What a shame.

1 Like

I enjoy western games more. A lot of Japanese games are downright too weird for me and Kingdom Hearts is no exception, in both concept and lore. I heard it’s a mindfuck :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

KH as a series is special to me since it helped me through a dark time in my life during 2018-2019. A sort of escapism from reality for a little bit. It’s not for everyone, the story in convoluted, but it helped me on a more personal level and that’s why I hold it so fondly.

4 Likes

I sortof agree and disagree on that. I think Postal 2 is really of its time, it was definetly made in the George W Bush era. I think Postal 4 being just a bit wackier and a bit less edgy makes sense considering the current climate, and really the amount of (dark) absurdity the Trump years have brought us.

Yeah, I do sortof agree with this. I am guessing this is due to technical limitations, which is why even in one map space, there is noticable gaps between groups of buildings. Guess they can’t have too many NPCs and objects together at once. I am hoping though that since it seems the map has almost been finished, the next step is just getting all the buildings filled with NPCs and objects, put some more secrets everywhere. Kindof hope they do more side quests, feel like that is a good idea to utilise more of the map.

They’ve also added in that train service, that basically lets you go to the NEWS of the map, but I’m wondering if maybe they should add in more stops. Perhaps that would make things too easy though? I also hope they actually bother to add in the actual subways, it looks a bit lame at the moment with the tiny staircase and the TV monitor.

KH is definetly a series I want to get into it, but until this announcement, pretty much the only way to get those collections was buy them on PS4. Or, well, buy all the games across half a dozen systems when originally released. I hear KH is both weird and probably takes itself too seriously, but honestly, that’s the kind of thing I am into. Just a shame this is EGS exclusive. May wait til I get a PS5 in future to play KH, see how I feel.

And speaking of ports, Crash 4 is coming to Xbox Series S/X, PS5, and Switch on March 12th.

But PC players will have to wait later in the year for it.

Oh and it’s also a sodding Battle.net exclusive for PC, because of course it is.

1 Like

The pre-1989 Eastern European experience video game that no one knew they wanted but they do

5 Likes

that’s changed aesthetic, hasn’t it? i recall it was quite bright and breezy, though still weird. voice commands is new too. i like the eastern-european angle.

1 Like

I found out about this game a few weeks ago! (Apparently some Russian officials tried to shut it down, since it could paint a bad picture of their law enforcement - I think that’s silly)

Looks really surreal and strange. Hopefully the full game is worthwhile, as at the moment it still seems like a kind of tech demo (and I’m getting Hello Neighbour vibes from it – interesting concept that wasn’t used too well at release, as well as bugs and stuff)

2 Likes

Not specifically new game, but there’s a confirmed new Nintendo Direct for tomorrow. Apparently there hasn’t been a big one like this in over a year!

Also, btw, Telltale Games’ Tales From the Borderlands is now back on digital stores. If you haven’t played it, I highly, highly recommend picking it up. You’ve missed out.

3 Likes

Call me crazy but I don’t see how you can make an apolitical game about the Second Battle of Fallujah.

5 Likes

i’m not making excuses for them because they’re clearly pandering to a specific audience with that kind of talk, but i think when devs say “it’s not political” they probably mean “it’s not didactic”.

1 Like

True enough but if I want a recount of the events I could just read the Wikipedia page.

1 Like

Since September 2019 was the last “proper” Direct, as in it wasn’t dedicated to a specific game or being a “mini” Direct. Exciting stuff, shame I’ll be at work when this streams. Hope to maybe try and watch it without being spoiled when I get home, but I doubt it.

Seconded. Fantastic game, easily the best Borderlands story, shame that Borderlands 3 seemed to learn nothing about what made Tales so great. I havn’t played all of Telltale’s games but I would think this is one of the better ones.

3 Likes