What Videogame(s) Are You Playing?

I cannot recommend Ghost of Tsushima. The game is alright, but holds nothing compared to other PS4 exclusives. To be quite frank the game feels outdated in its world design and encounters. Like a early open world game from the PS3 era.

I find it overrated. Not bad, but far from a PlayStation exclusive must play.

4 Likes

I tried that one once. Or maybe twice.

Got to the second settlement in the game, but the game felt a little too packed with busywork with scavenging and crafting (and there were a few tedious forced stealth/eavesdropping missions near the start that turned me off)

Good. Thanks.

Really? A lot of the buzz I heard surrounding this game was how unique its navigation was compared to any other open-world, and how the encounters and side missions were worked into the gameplay+story very well.

I’ve played the multiplayer mode when that became free on Plus and enjoyed that for the combat.

3 Likes

These are all terrible except gow 2018 being decent

2 Likes

The game is unique in it’s approach to combat, seamlessly switching between combat stances.

But the approach to the world is very classic and formulaic, especially for a game in the PS3 era. Random encounters can be pretty much summed up to a few different scenarios, it all feels very empty and scripted. The beauty of the world comes in design and pretty countryside Japan and it’s different seasons.

The main missions often follow the same formula, do “side” missions, then liberate castle and do it all again.

Every now and then there are some exciting and cinematic missions that are great. But in the end I would say it’s a pretty formulaic PS3 era open world game, but almost two generations too late.

It’s good, but nothing special. There is a reason why many describe it as Assassin Creed Japan. I plan to replay it again, but that is more to due with my own experience with Japan. It’s more likely I’ll replay Witcher 3 for the third time, before this.

2 Likes

FWIW, I only voted for Ghosts of Tsushima because it involves a theme I like very much. I have never played it… not yet anyway.

3 Likes

lmaooo Khaki at it again with the weird gamer take! Thanks buddy, noted! :joy:

Hmm, okay. Sounds like any old open-world game, but as it’s all based around combat I’m sure that’s still fun. Thanks for the input.

3 Likes

Lets just say that professionals have standards, and i completely skipped over judgement, a game i havent played but heard many good things about

2 Likes

There we go! :joy:

I was gonna say, I was surprised you were lumping this one japanese mystery-puzzle game with all these other action-adventure titles with heavy narratives that I know you dislike…

1 Like

God of War 2018 is a far cry from what the series used to be, the violence is toned down, Atreus is nothing more than annoying, Kratos is irritating and the bosses except the one Dragon you fight are lame as fuck.

The Troll “Bosses” are like the worst and uninspired boss fights in a modern videogame.

Ragnarok is far better in every regard, but also just not as good as GoW2 was.

I recommend you to play Ghost of Tsushima, it’s probably not like the best game ever, but it has a wonderful artstyle that made me more often stop right in my tracks to just admire the gameworld than not.
Also the Sword Fighting is hella fun.

5 Likes

I like GoT. The multiplayer Co-op is fantastic.

Hang on… @TheChicken didn’t we play that together once?!

5 Likes

We did once yes! It is a fun wave-based mode.

3 Likes

GoT is literally the “Thing: :rage: Thing Japan: :star_struck:” meme, it is a gussied up Assassin’s Creed game with the well refined combat system being the only real difference. I can’t believe I am saying this but just buy Power Wash Simulator or Dredge for the same price. What Remains of Edith Finch is on special if you want a nice short game (you don’t but I am just going to recommend it anyway), as is the Ace Attorney trilogy (Which is long).

Pathfinder Wrath of Righteous is discounted, it is Baldur’s Gate 3 but based on the much superior RPG game because I always pimp Pathfinder over DnD. Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition is cheap and I can certainly say that game is sufficiently long and has one of the best narratives ever. Get Cult of the Lamb before they remove it from stores next year and support an Australian developer or you could support an Australian developer and buy Stray Gods, I know you are a theatre kid so you might get a kick out of it .

NORCO is a measly 13 bucks which means it is cheap for you as well, hands down some of the best pixel artwork of its year and one of the best examinations of the awful world we live in. Steve Jackson’s Sorcery: The Complete Collection is also discounted if you like reading. Also speaking of reading if you haven’t played it yet Disco Elysium, it isn’t on sale or anything I pimp it at every opportunity.

5 Likes

I didn’t mention it, but all of these on the list aren’t costing me right now. It’s all in the PS+ Extra Catalog. Still, I guess thanks for the advice lol

What Remains of Edith Finch is on special if you want a nice short game (you don’t but I am just going to recommend it anyway), as is the Ace Attorney trilogy (Which is long).

Played both of these, enjoyed them

Pathfinder Wrath of Righteous
Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition

Second one’s on my list, will maybe check out the first one? Baldurs Gate 3 is on my list given what I’ve heard of it. But it be expensive for something I’m unsure of…

Cult of the Lamb before they remove it from stores next year

They’re not gonna remove it from stores on Jan 1st… that was their social media rep being a little too silly.

Both of those titles are on my list though to get to one day.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this one… hmm…

Steve Jackson’s Sorcery: The Complete Collection is also discounted if you like reading. Also speaking of reading if you haven’t played it yet Disco Elysium

First one ive also never heard of. Elysium is on my backlog… but tbh right now I want something with a little more player-control instead of delving into a political thriller choice-based RPG.. from what I’ve heard of it at least.

3 Likes

I know right? I just don’t have the time or money to get something like that.

Oh I hadn’t heard that, I guess that is nice.

Hopefully you do get around to playing it sometime soon.

Ah I get it now. I suppose if you want to play a PS+ sanctioned game for free you could take a chance on Saints Row. It is free, sufficiently playable, sufficiently long and you have player input in almost every level of customisation from guns to cars to the player character.

4 Likes

Welp, I’m done Control now, just have the AWE missions to finish up then maybe jump into the Foundation. I don’t think I’ll try to do all the side missions this time around or go looking for all the Hidden Rooms.

God of War and Tsushima are at a tie right now, with multiple people coming in to tell me to not go with Tsushima.
Y’know I’d have expected a lot more people saying that about the Ubisoft game there but okay lol

:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I say flip a coin to break the tie, though personally I’ve never played either game. I just voted for the one I’m more interested in playing.

4 Likes

Flip a coin. Assign whichever side with whichever game. I’d go further and suggest how you feel about the outcome might suggest which game you’d rather play… Or you can stick to the outcome regardless of how you feel about it.

Edit: I did not copy Nazareth! :joy: I was typing this out as he made his (almost same) reply. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Welp, I flipped a coin, best 2/3. God of War won.

I’ll start installing it tonight then :+1: thanks for the input people, I hope I like it.

6 Likes

Chilling out and building up Oberland into a comfy little shantytown. Also I have a lightsaber.







6 Likes

Started God of War tonight. Defeated the Stranger and making my way through the mountain path.

(Actually, I’ve played some of this before, about 3 years ago – the opening section up until you get to the big lake and are set free to explore some more, then I guess I kinda bounced off that and found a different game to play…)

Anyway, there’s not much I recall all that much about the opening so far. Definitely didn’t feel this long the first time, but I’m having fun exploring off the beaten path so much.

Combat is punchy and simple to pick up, the dialogue is pretty good (though Atreus acting like an angsty teen is surprising me, he’ll grow on me or character will improve… “so… we’re going towards the creepy singing?” :roll_eyes:oh-god-not-a-self-aware-joke)
And the world building feels natural in an environment sense and nicely fantasy-like in a Norse/God-like sense. Runes everywhere, lots of old weapons from long-dead warriors laid about…

There’s a few issues that have popped up for me so far, some to get used to and some that is unfortunately baked into the game?

The combat is going to take a while to get used to. Anything more than 2 enemies is tough, especially if they’re special enemies that can’t be stunned easily. I’m dying quite a bit on normal.
Attacks from behind are hard to keep track of, and I have a hard time figuring out whether it’s best to use Axe for damage or Fists for that sweet grab finisher.

The environments and graphics quality looks good, but there’s something about the textures in this game that looks a little off. Everything looks too “rough” as best I can put it? Like what’s supposed to look like beautiful snowy nature just looks too gritty in a sense… I find it strange.


Ooh, also, the objectives UI is annoying me. I don’t need to be told “escape the ruins” or “follow the mountain path” or “hunt with Atreus”.
I can pick up on dialogue cues and what the story is telling me already thank you! And there doesn’t seem to be any setting to turn those off. Lots of combat-related UI, but not game notification ones…
For such a cinematic game, it feels weird to have this feature. Also the RPG elements are a little daunting so far, but I hope with more I unlock the more I’ll get better at combat.



6 Likes