What Videogame(s) Are You Playing?

Chapter 2 of It Takes Two complete! This game just gets wilder and wilder.

You finally meet a friendly NPC, a talking Squirrel General and his little army, and the game then turns into a sort of WW2-esque shooter adventure!

One player uses sap, the other player blows it up.
It’s used in puzzles, in combat, and the game always stays fresh with new mechanics.
There’s sections where each tool has specific advantages. There’s sections that are Ratchet-and-Clank/Crash Bandicoot-like rail grinding. There’s a section where one steers a raft and the other shoots “mines” in the water. Another where one steers a plane and the other shoots pursuers. Or, my favourite combo: one drives a plane, and the other has a Street Fighter-style battle on the wings above.

Or, there’s purely visual sequences, where the two of you travel through small areas with glowing chalk cave-paintings. Or riding the back of a ghostly fish and taking in the bioluminescent sights.

Overall, it’s been lots of great fun gameplay-wise with how often things get shaken up, and the crazy zany tone the story brings.

Although I find the story has a weird “silly children’s fantasy movie” vibe crossed with mature language and subject matter?
There’s some character tropes and situations you would easily find in a PG animated film (“wait, let’s not fight! Let’s work against this enemy! -Duhh, Okay!”, but then all of a sudden a vacuum says it sucked up “a bunch of crap” or someone wants to kick a squirrel’s “furry ass”.
I… just didn’t expect such a strange tone shifts in this!

We did find the best cutscene in the game so far though! (In my humble opinion) (I may have added to it for effect)

I love the book now

8 Likes

I’m going to be trying out ‘The Last Faith’ demo on Steam.

I will probably edit this later and give my thoughts on it.

Edit: Oh yeah! This game ain’t f’king around! :laughing:

It has been compared to Blasphemous, and having played it I can see even more likenesses (I won’t bother to list them). Parrying is way easier in Blasphemous. With this, I believe you have to press 2 buttons at the same time - it’s as if you have to catch the attack, not hold a stance in order to guard. I’ve only used it once in a boss battle. Speaking of which… It took me a while, but I eventually got past the first… form. It really comes down to a pattern. Hit him with a combo, and dodge since his attacks have a certain pattern. You’ll likely die a lot until you figure this out. When you do learn the pattern you’ll have all or most of your health.

I quit when I got to this 2nd form… Figured I played enough.

The enemies… They seem easy enough to cheese if you’re below them and can hit them by jumping up to them. On even ground is when you better be careful! I’ll still need to practice that parry technique.

You have 2 primary weapons you can switch to via the d-pad (press Right). You can also cycle through items (up/down?) and techniques (Left). Items include a healing syringe, bombs you can throw, and (essentially) mana for special attacks.

Or something like that.

Seems like a fun enough game that I’ll likely get it.

4 Likes

It Takes Two is so much fun, it’s no wonder how it got Game of the Year. @silvereyes and I can clearly see already that it changes up the gameplay and the puzzles a lot so it always feels fresh and new.

Chapter 3 is the Space level, being tracked by a huge baboon plush with a Buzz Lightyear complex.
There’s wild gravity sections, side-scrolling, balancing challenges, and to tie it all together is some very distinct powers.

Silver got some gravity boots that lets them walk on walls using special paths and I essentially become Ant Man. Growing and Shrinking to get into places or use big objects. The perspective switching for both characters is cool, as the Gravity player’s “floor” becomes the ceiling, and the Shrinking player has a wide, low field of view.

The boss battle at the end is interesting in that Silvereyes had to keep avoiding lazers and area attacks by a ufo, meanwhile I was tiny, traversing a very long and dangerous obstacle course to disable said ufo from the inside!

And it keeps doing cool (and stressful stuff) from there! Grinding on rails, while another person has to jump on buttons to raise barriers quickly! Tilting-maze puzzles to roll a ball to the goal together. Or, the most stressful yet, paddle-boat riding, where each person controls a paddle and you have to fight off enemies!

Currently we just stopped at a point where it turned into a Diablo-style top down view, some sort of dungeon-crawling magic adventure awaits!

Also, for your pleasure: artist’s rendition of a Chicken in a paint soup.

8 Likes

We’ve made it to Chapter 5 of ITT! Judging by my “Game Activity Progress”, we finished 4 chapters and are just over halfway done! So I assume there’s probably 7 chapters in all?

This game is way longer than expected, but that’s good! It’s been fantastic so far and still isn’t getting old, with all the new powers we keep getting, puzzles to solve, or challenges to overcome!

Just recently there was an impressive clock-tower-type of level. Some time-twisting/cloning powers, and that damn book keeps finding ways to get in the way! He’s fun though yeah lol

Man, It Takes Two is great fun gameplay, but that story is pretty bonkers.

We just dismembered an adorable talking elephant plush! A queen at that, too!

Or, there’s also

the child’s parents feel no remorse or question their morality, for even suggesting to intentionally make their daughter cry, as they (morbidly, comically) shower themselves in her tears – to lift a curse, you see – and when that doesn’t work, they still don’t care!

Are they sociopaths?
Are they going crazy from being held hostage as dolls by a book?
Have they become nihilists due to accepting their reality as some sort of abstract “dreamscape”?

I don’t know, but this story is so far painted with strokes of FUN and really WEIRD stuff! And that’s been kind of the appeal for me at least! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yay Regicide! :crown:

Edit: oh yeah and the bosses (bar one) are all very fun and unique. I loved the King&Queen Chess battle. Pieces appear, move, and attack based on their actual use.

5 Likes

Mmmm Mmmm! Just re-read these comments from acci and @Khakiasp about the two SpiderMan games.

Can’t wait for the sequel and I wonder if any of the complains up here will be addressed for you two.

2 Likes

Well given how central the black suit/Venom is to the game I am probably going to have even more complaints at least on a story level possibly a gameplay one but I doubt it.

3 Likes

The story and gameplay look really bad so far so once it comes to pc i cant wait to dig in

2 Likes

Gameplay? Really bad?

:unamused: ok weirdo lol… I think it looks about the same as the first which was decent overall, though I’ve only seen the major showcase trailers and that’s it.
The open-world traversal looks mega-cool IMO.

A little worried on the story content apart from Venom stuff, but as long as its dark and moodier than the first it should have a good tone

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to the Lizard, he looks great.

giphy (8)

7 Likes

Allow me to explain, the gameplay looks simpler and way easier than the first game. Especially the stealth, which somehow looks worse. This is a problem if you have to do this for 30 hours straight again

Oh and controversial opinion but web wings will probably make the traversal more stale and boring

2 Likes

Okidoke, well I haven’t looked up much gameplay so I don’t got much to say about that. :man_shrugging:

Stealth in the last game was basic, but you really can’t get much out of it unless you’re Batman, master of stealth and fear. Spider-Man has never really had great stealth.
Honestly forcing yourself into combat was a lot more fun and engaging than slowly picking enemies off in the first game.

Web Wings I’m also a little concerned about being preferable to swinging, but maybe they’ll win me over. If not swinging is still gonna be great. :+1:
But also hey Just Cause 3 had a great wingsuit so who knows

2 Likes

I am still playing Starfield.

I just finished my first run, and entered the NG+.
I can see why the way it works could be contentious, but fortunately for me, it is ideal for my way of playing the game.
No “my engagements and hard work were all for nothing in the end, intentional nihilism meta narrative” for me. For now at least.

I’m a proponent of the “role playing is knowing when to not engage, and saying no” school of RP.
So in my first run, I was just a member of constellation here for science!, exploration, and recruiting a large crew for my research station of a ship.
As a consequence, I did not do a lot of side quests.
I did exactly 6.
The three quests where you help a botanist in New Atlantis (science!, I appreciate how my botanic skill appeared in the dialogue, even if it was without consequences)
Walter Stroud quest, since I have starship design.
One companion quest. (Sarah)
The First Contact quest. Because I romanced Sarah, and the wedding happens in Paradiso, where the quest starts when you approach in orbit. It involves a generation colony ship that took the slow way to the planet, since FTL travel was found after their departure, a classic of science fiction. I did the whole quest in my character wedding clothes. (insert Doctor Who, Donna reference. It was honestly the vibe of a Doctor Episode. I liked it)


So now, the NG+. I will replay the same structure. For the record, you can completely skip the main quest by doing an in-universe info dump to your allies, but for the first one, I relive it.
In my first run Sarah was the mandatory “one of the four main companions will die”. It was her or Sam for me. I (1) wasn’t going to leave Cora without a father, and (2) it made sense RP wise to prioritize defending the Lodge, there were two children there. It was in-universe a week after the wedding, and I RP a grieving spouse burying themself into work and revenge after it. So I will aim to correct that.
Because NG+ involves your character going to a new universe, retaining their memories, ready to do it all over again, or just going there to gain more power, or just to explore.
So the RP narrative goal of my NG+ will be to have everybody lives (just this once Rose!). And the game has to be given credit, your character knowing what will happens is frequently used. The antagonist / other starborns see what you are doing, and their dialogues are completely different, as a matter of fact their entire intent towards you becomes different.
I won’t explore locations, quests, and faction until at least NG+2. It’s partially thought up, and could be a good arc to create.

I mean, if you take Cydonia, Mars as an example. It’s a place with a whole questline (and frogs apparently :smiley:). Currently I just went to the bar in the entrance corridor for the main quest, and nothing else. It’s what my character would do.


What I will say though, is that the start from scratch also means loosing all equipments. And since my character is based around being dependant of advantage gained through the crafting mechanics (and companions), it means doing that all over again.
And the crafting in Starfield is egregiously large for the sake of being large and complex

This is the list I took 2 hours to make of what I need, and what I have to manufacture, and in which order.
The whole document is 430 lines long.
(at least I front loaded the research skills, and the manufacturing skill. Without them, the complexity of the list would be two fold)
It also be reusable for the next NG++, and beyond.
But WTF Todd


For the curious, here were my two main ships.
The first one is the much expanded and improved version of the one I posted at the start of my run.
The second one is inspired by Interstellar, made to cross the larger distance between late game star systems.



I have a bunch of other things to say about the game.
I think that in 2-3 months I will make a larger write up of both my campaigns/story, and of the game itself.
I will say for now, that the game is not made to be RPed during quests. You can RP what to play, how you make money and xp, but once you are on a story, you follow the narrative and its flavours.
For the way I will play the side quests later on (my NG++ onward will be “The Pilgrim” path, of observing what the universes and its inhabitants have to offer), it will meld well for me. But I can absolutely see how it could be infuriating.

The game frequently does not pass the "I thought about a solution while the 10 seconds of dialogue played, and it’s not allowed, nor acknowledge.
I understand when a RPG does not let you do something you thought about 10 minutes later, after much reflection. But when it’s something I instinctively think about before the prompt arrived ? That’s an issue.


Nonetheless, I am surprised by how much I like Starfield. It just fitted right for me, and the way I wanted to play it.
But it’s a very particular fit. The shape of will not go well for a lot of other way of playing, or other expectations.
(New Vegas is still way superior)

5 Likes

Ditto. The game is flawed as fuck, buggy and boring, but also, there’s a secret sauce there that keeps me playing.

I think I like the lore. Not the writing, but the lore. The Stories Of The People In The Universe. I’m engaged in pretending I’m in this world, even if the actual RP elements are barebones and choices don’t matter and crafting is insanely unnecessarily dense.

I haven’t done any outpost or ship fuckery. It’s just not how I want to play. And it’s cool that those are mostly optional. Though I will probably have to upgrade my ship or buy a better one as I push myself into enemy territory where they’re at a much higher level than mine.

The game is so flawed. I have a hundred ideas for fixes. And yet…. SPAAAAAACE

5 Likes

@LandirtHome Gotta say those are some impressive looking ships. If I’m reading it right, those are both class A?

To sum it up, I think the main issue with the game is that it somewhat spreads itself too thin by trying to be a jack of all trades. And it doesn’t do a bad job at it but this inherently means there’s not enough focus to go around. 1,000 planets might be a selling point to some, but we really didn’t need this many. I’d rather they cut it down to 40, 60, or maybe 100 so they could instead use the resources for a tighter, sharper edged development IMO. But that being said, I’m still having a ton of fun with it.

5 Likes

Thanks @Nazareth. But I can only take credit for the first one. The interstellar one is a shamelessly stolen design from the internet.

The first one (my main one) was made with the idea of “what if my character bought an old ISS styled research station, slapped a bunch of engines into it, and called it their homeship”.
This final version has (all without any ladder) :

  • starboard all the research and crafting stations,
  • port places for 8 crew, a bunch of passengers, and even a private captain quarter ,
  • finally the main deck has a navigation console a few meters from both the bay/docker, and from the pilot seat. For diegetic navigation.

Just so you know : the game locks the ship component behind both your skills and your level. You need to be level 60 to have access to the best reactor, shield, weapons, and engines.
And yes both are class A. The particle beams + crew bonus are enough for me.

My character is a diplomat going science. I play without taking any boosting skills (no combat, no ship combat, nor piloting), and that needs to research, craft, and recruit to be able to to handle things.


To you, and @Axwage

I think Bethesda games are best enjoyed if you consider them the video-game equivalent of the main basic rulebook / lorebook of a tabletop RPG. It has some mandatory modules and campaigns, but that’s not going to be enough, and you need to use your imagination to create substance.
The quests, and campaigns present are more examples, stereotypes, or fun bits to show the lore and world, not shape your character around.
And in Starfield it’s not perfect, but it can work. It’s a world, and a game I can live in as a character.

As an example, I have heard great things about fallout 4 Sim Settlement 2 mod.
I also think there is a good reason every Bethesda game has a “start anywhere, as anyone, no main quest triggered, just live you best life” mod amongst its most downloaded.
To Starfield credit, is basically how you can approach the new game plus, hell it’s what the Pilgrim path is.

I do hope though that the planned DLC won’t be the usual Bethesda “you go into a new separate campaign and instances without any true link to the rest of the game”.
Because I really like the narrative structure of the game, and so much could be made there.
Imagine having a complete alternative main quest to find the artifacts (maybe a different reason why) by working the issue with a different faction other than constellation.

5 Likes

“Good artists copy, Great artist steal” :wink:

3 Likes

Sonic Superstars.

I’ve beaten it multiple times including the post game stuff. It’s probably my favourite game to release since the last Hitman.

8 Likes

Sorry that thats the case, i hope you find better games soon!

9 Likes

I’ve started playing Spiderman 2 yesterday and like 1 hr in my ps5 just turned itself off, without warning, just like a power outage.
Now i don’t want to play it anymore.

10 Likes

Did you get an error code? It sounds like it’s overheating. Does it get enough air?

9 Likes