What's New....?

I think that’s applicable to first names, not so much surnames. Also it’s talking about more than one person with the same family name. I found this useful:

If the name ends in s, z, ch, or sh, add es. That means the Davis family becomes the Davises, the French family becomes the Frenches, the Hernandez family becomes the Hernandezes, the Glaves family becomes the Glaveses.

If the name ends in x, add es—unless the x is silent. So the Felix family becomes the Felixes, and the Bordeaux family becomes the Bordeauxs.

9 Likes

I truly hate this rule :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: my surname already ends in ‘es’ so my family is the XXeses. A trash language

8 Likes

English is so fucking stupid lmao

6 Likes

All languages have their quirks :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s their last name so putting an S or ES on it is correct.

For another example… the plural of goose is geese. However, if my last name happens to be Geese, and you were talking about multiple people in my family you would use Geeses.
“I was playing football with the Geeses.” << the people named Geese.

“I was giving bread to the geese.” << the animal that looks kinda like a swan.

1 Like

Haha alright thanks! the Geese reminded me of this great video from James Rolfe

3 Likes

Where even I get confused is the plural possessive of a name that ends with X.

To talk about a car owned by Sierra Knox you would say “Ms Knox’s car.” << Singular possessive.

But how do I write the company owned by all members of the Knox family?

Is it “the Knoxes’ company” or is it “the Knoxs’ company?” I think it’s Knoxes’ but I really don’t know.

1 Like

It is “Knox’s company” or “Robert’s Company” because Robert is a founder and the CEO while Sierra is just a CFO.

I hadn’t thought of this stupid way to type surnames until I heard some guards talk about “Yateses” in Mendoza. :laughing:

4 Likes

For the purposes of my question let’s assume they both own the company.

A pet-peeve of mine when it comes to English pronunciation is colonel. There’s not even an r in there!!

8 Likes

Then it is “the Knoxes’ company”.

1 Like

Actually the English word does have an “r” in it but the usage of coronel fell out of use in the 17th century and has been replaced by the Spanish pronunciation while using the French/Italian spelling.

2 Likes

oh boy, just wait until you hear how lieutenant is pronounced

5 Likes

Diana says it in Hitman 2 briefings. As in Silent Assassin.

1 Like

I pronounced it lieu - tenant but I also heard of left - tenant which I don’t understand, old English I guess? Don’t get me started on the pronunciation of nuclear :laughing:

3 Likes

Also “Leftennent” pronunciation of Lieutenant.

There is no two ways to pronounce “nuclear”. New-clear is the proper pronunciation and new-cue-lar is a malapropism.

Also no-one understands how the word lieutenant evolved into leftenant, the etymology is still unknown and no real solid theories.

6 Likes

It is fairly rare to hear Left-tenant anymore, seems to have gone out of general use.

2 Likes
9 Likes