Why is Chongqing so cramped?

Really? Afaik there are at least five, and it feels like there are way more.

1 Like

I like the mid-range maps more a lot of the time. Give me Chongqing over Mumbai any time. Honestly I’d even take New York’s size too. I will say though, at some point if the maps are all on the smaller side then 5 real maps for $60 becomes a question.

5 Likes

Maybe the reason Chongqing feels so out of place in this regard is that other smaller maps, like New York or Hawke’s Bay, feel “naturally” small in a way. There’s just only so much in those settings. Whereas Chongqing is a city, and it feels like there should be a lot to explore, and you can see a lot of opportunities, but those buildings don’t offer any entrance. You’re coming up against the limitations of the game, rather than the limitations of the setting.

One way they’ve made things more natural is by having the mission at night, in the rain. Of course there aren’t a lot of people out! It’s like 2 AM!

8 Likes

To me Chongqing didn’t feel small at all. They could’ve made better map use of the arcade and the 2 or 3 little stores that are open (Karaoke etc) but at least it’s there to begin with, ideally they’d make use of those sort of areas in Bonus Missions

To me it felt like it could be a not as big version of a Deus Ex Chinese map hub (Hong Kong, Lower Hengsha, etc). If the map was used in an RPG you wouldn’t complain too much, it’s got 2 apartment buildings, a laundromat, a restaurant, several walkable rooftops, a giant underground facility, if they opened the doors then it has a train station ready to go, it has an arcade, about 3 mini-stores, and then the streets themselves and some side alleys and courtyards.
That’s more than enough if it’s utilised properly

Fixed

5 Likes

I hated it at first then it could be my favorite. Its atmosphere and all the things I’ve done in it, you get to find it’s cool weird stuff. Best map?

1 Like

Yes, because Santa Fortuna and Sgail were outsourced to Sumo digital so IO only had to get 4 maps ready for H2’s release - so, a small tutorial level, 2 giant levels, and one smaller level. All the maps were created in house this time, so it’s just a different distribution - 5 smaller levels and a tiny epilogue.

Admittedly, when you consider the absence of ghost mode, sniper mode, and future DLC levels, there’s definitely a lot less content here. And yes, I would’ve liked to spend a lot more time in Chonqing. But instead, we got full fledged cutscenes, so - take your pick.

1 Like

True, but why didn’t they just outsource 1 map or so this time around? Granted, SF and Sgail both have pretty bad map designs, so maybe they went for quality over quantity instead.

Haha yeah, even though I’m disappointed, I can’t stop playing it. It’s my favorite of H3.

1 Like

Meh, I love SF, and the atmosphere and verticality in Sgail are great. Colorado is the other Sumo map, which is divisive for obvious reasons. But honestly, I think all the WOA maps are incredibly high quality in their own way, and even a ‘bad’ map is still fantastic by the standards of, say, Absolution.

Maybe it was a choice between cutscenes and outsourcing - I don’t know.

3 Likes

This, absolutely! The only other map this season that could be bigger for its setting is Dubai (more floors), and it’s already the right size.

1 Like

not to labour a point, but the answer is usually money.

2 Likes

I do really agree with it, so what bothers me even more than the Size is (Yes this again) the missing of unique NPCs, which is a big Problem in many H3 Maps sadly and while Chongqing isen’t the worst Example, it still isen’t covered in glory. The only NPC “Group” in which I was able to find unique NPCs so far where the Cooks. (I do not count Key Characters like the Guide.)

I will problably make a Topic about this soon, where I put the most recurring NPC Models next to eachother.

2 Likes

I personally love Sgail’s aesthetic, but you have to admit that the target routes are poor. And SF is just too big, making it kind of a chore to play.

3 Likes

The size is a big part of what I love about SF! That and the vibe.

2 Likes

Sumo Digital was working on the Sackboy game for PS5, which may have had something to do with it.

1 Like

I was really happy it wasn’t as big as a map like Mumbai and I thought they made a perfectly sized “big feeling” map.

I guess I’m in the minority here.

6 Likes

Yep so dissapointing no traditional
City small
No npc
Stores close
Train station close
Ica facility nice but no intersting
Hush broke building with amrican military look stupid not even chinese
Apartment ok but no enough
Restaurant very nice

mumbai so much better

5/10

6 Likes

Maybe not exactly like Mumbai, but a few more streets and open buildings and shops, maybe even a train station couldn’t hurt.

5 Likes

I agree completely, I think maps like Mumbai are too big. Hitman 3’s are pretty much the perfect size I think, the only issue for me is… does 5 of them justify the cost? As a rabid fan they do, but for general folks I dunno.

3 Likes

I know what you mean but I thought this level was amazing to be honest and I’m picky. It was like a throwback to all of the missions involving the Red Dragon and Blue Lotus Triads in Codename 47 and Contracts and has a very interesting mission story involving sniping for once, both targets at once in fact, which is also a throwback to another great level ‘Kirov Park Meeting’ from H2 Silent Assassin.

The targets both have decent individual kill methods too which suit their character and it feels like each part of the level has a different atmosphere.

It is definitely nothing in comparison to Sapienza as a map in terms of scale but so much of Sapienza was redundant at the time whereas most of this level is used depending on your method. Feels like they concentrated more on the players using the levels this time around rather than adding a lot of extra stuff which looks great but isn’t much practical use.

1 Like