Why is Chongqing so cramped?

Don’t get me wrong, this was my favorite level of Hitman 3, the atmosphere, music, aesthetic is amazing. The map design is also pristine.
It’s just puzzling to me why they didn’t make it bigger when they marketed it relatively heavily.

5 Likes

Ye true. It would’ve been nice to get some extras thrown in there such as a market place similar to in Marakesh or like a cyberpunkish (style wise not like the game ha) lively alley with crowds and stuff being sold and all sorts of neon lights Blade Runner style if you know what I mean ha.

We could literally walk around Miami for hours and it was like 3 maps in 1 ha. Would’ve been nice to get one last Monster of a map just like that. But I also always liked some smaller maps in Hitman games with just a couple of kill methods because they feel more focused sometimes.

6 Likes

Mumbai is my favorite map in not only the trilogy, but the entire Hitman series. It’s not just the size, but the atmosphere, and the way the Kashmirian connects the different areas was brilliant - truly a master class in level design.

I think the disappointment with smaller, easier maps is just that I was able to 100% them really fast (escalations aside, obviously), and thus spent a lot less time in them than I did with H2 on launch. I kept playing for a minute after completing the challenges, but there was no real challenge left so it kind of felt like what’s the point?

3 Likes

This kind of gets to what I said about value. In Hitman 2 it took me months to get all the challenges done, but in Hitman 3 I’m pretty much done already. I actually like the smaller maps, but when there’s 5 of them (and they’re also easier in difficulty IMO) it definitely feels like I got less for my $60 than I did with the first two games.

9 Likes

Yeah. Here’s hoping the post-launch rollout is substantial. To be fair, this season is still a good bit longer than a lot of games.

4 Likes

OK, I’m going to go out on a limb here. Maybe one of the reasons they didn’t do a ‘giant brustling cyberpunk city’ was cuz of Cyberpunk 2077? They might have figured that it would have delivered(lol) and there would be no way to compete with it. When the game turned out to be a disappointment, it was too late.

2 Likes

Nah. If game developers thought that 2077 would be a success that doesn’t mean that no one would dare to make a cyber punk game anymore :stuck_out_tongue:
I think it was a lack of time or inspiration. Same can be said about the last mission being so underwhelming.

1 Like

Here’s another crackpot theory. With the Coronavirus, the devs weren’t able to scope out the city of Chongqing, while they were able to go to most of the other locations.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m agoraphobic but “cramped” level design is more appealing than lots of wasted space and difficult targets to isolate. Yeah Mendoza and Dubai are pretty but its filled with annoying and boring targets.

All there is to see in the city is two groups of homeless people, a few homeless people sleeping in an alley, and a couple of people walking around with umbrellas. There is only one laundromat and restaurant open with a few people inside. The apartment complex only had two units we could explore. Outside the ICA data facility and the abandoned Hush apartment, there is really not much to see and not much to do.

To be honest, I feel quite underwhelmed. This is my least played map in H3 and the only map I haven’t got 20 mastery yet. I just don’t find the map that interesting.

When I first played Chongqing, I thought the map was going to be massive. I thought the part of the city below the walkway would be explorable. I even thought the train station was accessible as I saw npcs inside. I think that would be one way to improve Chongqing is to make the train station enterable

7 Likes

Yeah having a good sized accessible train station would’ve been great. Also making it closer to the laundromat. That back staircase sucks. I just know some moron is going to make the train station a required exit for a contract in the ICA facility.

5 Likes

I love Whittleton Creek but since it is such a small map, I wish all the houses were accessible. I don’t think it would be too hard to add as all the houses have the same floor plan. Only the West, Wilson, Janus, Cassidy, and Schmidt properties are fully enterable. And one of the houses is completely empty.

I believe 7 houses are not accessible at all. The 420 house only has access to the garage. The Lewinsky property only has attic access. The Griswold property only has access to the garage and basement. Since one of the objectives is to find clues, it doesn’t make sense to me why we aren’t able to infiltrate all the houses. I also wish they would make more of the map explorable. (I wonder what the area in the top corner was supposed to be?) I think the square map layout is boring.

Another thing that I wish they would change is Whittleton Creek is the suburban town feels unnatural to me. I wish there was more people doing normal activities in their houses like watching tv, taking a nap, taking a shower, etc.

8 Likes

If they ever do a Whittleton Creek bonus mission I’d rather they put a new structure where the construction guys are or something like that, rather than open up a bunch of identical houses.

2 Likes

I would like them to add something new to Whittleton Creek. There is only a muffin stand, a statue, and a small public park. But I think exploring the houses was one of the most fun parts of Whittleton Creek. It was interesting learning about the backstories of the characters like Helen West and the Wilsons.

About Chongqing, I think the mission is beautiful. The rain and neon lights are gorgeous. I just wish there was more content.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought Whittleton might have worked/felt better if it had a larger central structure like a town hall, with the houses around it. Could’ve tied the area together nicely plus it would give you some more variety in interiors to navigate

2 Likes

All these neat visuals probably ate away the resources to make this map much bigger.

4 Likes

I’ve always thought of a store, maybe something to do with the creek like a fishing shop or something, but a town hall is a good idea too.

Couldn´t agree more. There should´ve been more accessible buildings (heck, there´s two or so floors above the restaurant left unused) and the mission set prior to midnight rather than after.

Personally, I would´ve loved a mission story involving a team of Heavenly Guard (7th SFG) operatives on a mission to capture/kill Hush for his defection (cause we know uncle Po doesn´t like that). Something along the lines of the Kashmirian or Mendoza sniper team mission stories. The team have set up shop in one of the buildings opposite the Block, monitoring it. They have a man outside tasked with infiltrating the Block and confirming whether Hush is really there. The agent is in a bar, drinking/gambling, hesitating cause he´s thinking of defecting himself. 47 can get hands on his radio, infiltrate the Block, get a picture of (or scan) Hush and send it to the team. Then he can select one of several approaches via the agent´s laptop:

a) he lures Hush outside where he can be killed by a sniper team from the rooftops/windows
b) a HG commando team storms the building and engages in a firefight with the ICA guards (yes, I absolutely want a scenario a la Deadly Cargo) - Hush can be killed in the process or escape to a car which you can rig with a bomb beforehand
c) use a laser designated drone strike (yes, by that Kronstadt drone) on the building when Hush is in a suitable location (or in the vehicle - this could be actually combined with your proposed dealer scenario, only it would be part of the agent´s (47´s) task to pretend to be a dealer and lure Hush outside to check out ´the goods´ in a van, at which point a drone strike would be called in, rather than having to do some building damage)

Plus the chatter between the team members could involve references to the events of Hantu Port and Miami or their previous encouters/work with Hush. So much wasted potential…

14 Likes

I agree with everything you said. If there’re more then 3 Out of Bounds Area in your Map, the Player would rather explore, it’s not a very good sign. The WoA Triologie has very few of said Areas for me, the most notable being the Church and the Street where you start the Mission in Whittelton Creek, The Beach Area in Bangkok, The Area across the Bridge in Santa Fortuna and the Tower in Mendoza, so the last one is problably a bit silly.

In Chongqing though theres:

That Parking Lot. I just imagine blowing a Target up there, how cool would that be?

That Building here. It looks so freaking Awesome, whatever it is.

This Playground. I don’t expect the ability to interact with anything due to the more serious tone of Hitman 3, but it would still be great to have.

It’s problably just a Garage, but still… Why can’t we open it?

More Flats… just way more Flats. We only have two for crying out loud and one is empty and the other is visited by a generic, repeated NPC Model Coupel and isen’t even there sometimes.

15 Likes

From IOI site:

The rainy, neon-lit streets of Chongqing are full of shops and food stands, all crammed into narrow alleys and passageways – Chongqing are full of shops and food standswith plenty of secrets hidden off the beaten path. This Chinese transportation hub is the perfect destination for us to showcase just some of the refinements and improvements coming to the technology that powers HITMAN 3

Full of shops? They mean close shops? lol
And food stands? The last food stands i saw it was in chinatown Hitman absolution
That was feel more china than chongqing LOL

6 Likes