☕ Workplace Discussions

I think maybe it was Silvereyes(?) that made a similar topic in the previous forum. With my work being a source of frustration I felt compelled to (re)make this topic to allow others to share their experiences, gripes, and/or praises for things going on in their occupation.

You’re welcome, Silvereyes. :smiley:

Okay. Me. Boy… I work at a hotel on what is referred to as the ‘Audit Shift’ or graveyard. The owner is currently in “rehab” (big boy jail/prison) for charges related to Driving while Intoxicated. He should be back sometime in July. That’s going to be treat. not. He’ll come out either better or worse. He definitely won’t be the same.

Then there’s the General Manager… I guess they don’t make me the GM because of my personality… Lacking in maybe cordiality, or I’m too easy going… I don’t know, and I don’t care. It’s not a responsibility I ever wish to take up. Even if it comes with a monthly salary. Anyway. Our GM. I got off the phone with her after she called me wanting to know how to fix something related to a guest that trashed their room and stole the T.V. (along with some other stuff, I think). These douchebags then put their credit or debit card on hold so nothing else could be charged on it. So, the GM was wanting to charge them for the damages to the Rm. She goes right to PAYMENT, posts a credit (back) to their card! :man_facepalming: She needed to first post the (+)fee for whatever damages, THEN go to (-)payment. But since she went to payment before posting any fee - she typed in whatever amount and it goes through as a (+)payment… Which is a credit back. Now since their credit card is deactivated - we can’t just go in and do it the right freaking way!

Well, one could manually put in an Authorization Code… But that’s getting into a touchy area. It could be disputed or reversed. Apparently they had another Credit Card on file. I have no idea what she did, but she was able to pull that up then did God-knows-what with it. I had her texting me screenshots of what she was doing. I think she realized how badly she messed up, because she didn’t send me anymore screenshots. Probably too embarrassed. :persevere:

I’m supposed to have tonight off… But I’m really curious as to what she did, and could almost go up there to see for myself. Maybe even try to fix anything that might be messed up. Because by the time I go back, it’ll be too late to fix anything.

The job can be an abundant source of headaches at times. But I guess it’s what I need to do. They’d be royally fk’d if I ever had to quit or was put into the hospital.

11 Likes

Yeah I made a work thread back in the old forum, although it was also designed for talking about school and college etc as well. Thanks for bringing it back. :+1:

Thankfully, work is going mostly alright for myself right now. My pizza delivery job is very quiet during the Summer. Part of the reason why I take 2 weeks off in the middle of July is that it’s good to be gone while hours are at a minimum and a bit hard to come by. Honestly though, alot of the job depends on what kind of mood the store manager is in. He’s mostly good but if he’s in a bad mood, he just takes it out on all of us. Especially if a store inspection is immininent, which feels like every 4 months or so. But y’know, it’s fine for the time being. Soon as I move house hopefully next year, I will definetly be job hunting. Rather fed up of working evenings, really want some kindof day job, hopefully one with some kind of future in it.

9 Likes

Without going into details, one very important lesson I’ve learned is that you need to watch the turnover rate at an office. Treat them like a married person trying to hit on you because, honey, if they’ll do it with you they’ll do it to you.

10 Likes

Location Supervisor that’s apart of one of the Larger Amusement Park Companies based on North America.

I’m apart of the Food and Beverage Department, with that being I’m one of the very few people apart of the leadership team with real cooking experience. One notable thing I’ve done was run a BBQ stand which consisted of a lot of hands on work and actual effort compared to fryer food, but I digress.

My position consists of Trainings and copious amounts of paperwork. It’s honest work and I love it. When I do get to cook though I put a lot of care into something more mundane like frozen burger patties where i make them more palatable.

I also travel for work around the fall season too, but that’s a case by case basis. Everyday is a new adventure where I work, but that is the basics of my job.

9 Likes

Nice! It seems like you didn’t forget the gas. That’s already a good start of becoming a BBQ king. :joy:

In case of me, I don’t have a job at the moment. Despite I majored in Information Management (you could say it’s sort of a combination between IT & business school), I think I’d like to become an English teacher. Or else, a translator will do. It’s a bit harder to be interviewed during the current pandemic state, but I can wait.

I once was a convenient store clerk, though. It was more challenging than I thought. Working nightshift was a pita when I was all alone and had to take care of customers, restocking, and cleaning. The pay was low, but I did get to enjoy a free cup of coffee per night, and was able to bring expired microwave food home for free. I also worked 4 nights per week, while the other nightshift clerk did 3 nights.

8 Likes

I like to think that working where I am and having experience with actually recipes and prep work lead me to be able to improvise and make food taste better.

Kosher Salt and Beef Stock can improve an otherwise bland frozen burger patty and make it more flavorful if you know what you are doing. I try to keep a level of quality and consistency especially when serving employees since they deserve a level of good food too.

I’ve also had the pleasure to be a certified bartender in Pennsylvania thanks to my job so I can make a mean cocktail for our alcohol enthusiast on the forum.

7 Likes

We’ve been working on a big charity fundraiser at work for the last few months. A former employee is in a pretty famous band now, and as such was able to organise a huge laundry list of raffle prizes from other bands with big followings. We had live comedians mixed in with pre recorded sets from some bands, as well as a live raffle draw. We raised over £27k for the charity so far which is really awesome.

It was our first hybrid event and I think it went pretty successfully.

10 Likes

I just yell into a telephone for a living most of the time. Luckily when I bark people listen, I imagine life would be harder if no one took me seriously. I wish I could fly more though and yell less.

8 Likes

This right here! Amusement Park cuisine. Who doesn’t love it!

5 Likes

Currently I am an Executive Culinary Director and cover 3 states traveling around to support my accounts through culinary training, food quality, as well as responsible for controlling food, labor costs and TM engagement. It’s a very fast paced job and you have to manage many things. I have about 35 million in revenue reporting to me. Long hours but rewarding at the same time.

I don’t cook professionally anymore as a result so this is why I cook at home and share my pics with you all.

People gotta eat right!

13 Likes

Speaking of eating right,

I don’t consider myself an expert or a professional in this field but it is my job. or however you say it properly in english.

This ones short, expected and incredibly generic but its the most fun thing that has happened to me at work in the past 3 years.

All I’ll say is,
Pineapple. Italian restaurant.
Chaos.
:man_shrugging:

I feel like I shouldn’t be here considering my position and the one of the man above me…

7 Likes

You don’t need to be a professional to be a great cook. Just keep showing up!!!

4 Likes

Things have been interesting at work. I work as a pizza delivery driver for a big pizza chain. We stayed open through the whole pandemic, I never went on furlough. When the first lockdown hit, we got a ton of new drivers due to many going on furlough or just losing their jobs, and wanted/needed the income and some work. Now that this is (relatively) over, we’re back to being understaffed as usual. Probably even worse now it seems with the current situation and how much COVID has changed the working world, since we just pay minimum wage and seemingly no plan in sight to try and offer any kind of competitive wage or benefit for people to work for us.

So 4 drivers have left recently for various reasons. And it seems some of the in-store staff are being transferred to another store by the area manager, which is the final straw for our store manager. So our store manager has said he will be leaving soon, and it seems one of our two assistant managers will be leaving right behind him. Essentially, alot of staff will be gone soon and it will be unclear how the store will run from this point onwards.

Really the biggest issue is the fact that we are all on zero hour contracts, and it really does boil down to the store manager to how they build a rota and who gets what shifts. An incompetant or a very petty manager can make things very difficult for everyone. I think half the staff have pretty set in stone shifts at this point, including myself, and a new manager could just come in and change all of it, especially if they want to try and make everyone work more because we are understaffed.

Seems like a good time to try and jump off, or at least, maybe find a part time job and do less hours at the pizza place so I have a bit more security. I was hoping to find another job after I sold my house, which I am hoping to do by the end of this year, but it feels like I’ll need to start thinking about it now rather than later.

Just hard to find work when I have no qualifications. At least, work that isn’t awful like factory work or the like. Not sure where to begin really. Going to need to update my CV and I guess start keeping an eye on job sites.

12 Likes

Have you been there long enough to pretty much know how the place runs? Why not apply for a higher position? If they are losing 2 of 3 managers then they will need to bring at least one in or promote up.

This is the second time I have seen this term in 24 hours and also the second time I have seen it ever in my life :joy: @Quinn just explained to me what it meant.

Anyway good luck if you try to find something else and good luck if you stay.

9 Likes

They treat the assistant managers really badly, and they barely get paid more than I do. Even the store manager only makes £1,600 a month, and I make roughly £1,000 a month on minimum wage. Just not worth it in the slightest.

I’ll need to jump ship at some point. Just harder to do at the moment without any real financial security.

6 Likes

Perhaps the Royal Marines are calling your name then. (-;

Hotels. We’re filled up and we had one reservation left to come in. Somehow we got overbooked and the guy that got (more or less) pushed out came in. It’s hard enough to tell somebody they don’t have a room to stay in. This guy was disappointed obviously. I’ve had people to get mad and yell about it in the past. But thankfully he left without any drama. I still find it gut-wrenching for the guy that he had to come all this way for nothing.

A former coworker is suggesting I put in an application where she works because the guy that works on the night shift there is, apparently, a huge asshole. It sounds like they really need someone that’s way friendlier, actually cleans/does the required chores, interacts with the guests (instead of yelling at them from the back where he sits in a chair), and doesn’t smell like a dumpster. I wonder if he wears a fedora too? :thinking:

If I were to get hired by that place I’d get paid more and be full time. They’ve cut down my hours where I’m at gradually over the past couple of years. But I’d hate to leave this place simply because it’d be so screwed if I did.

Maybe if they suddenly take me down to something like 2 nights a week I’d have more of an incentive to quit.

3 Likes

Why not apply at the new place and tell them you can’t start until May 10th or some day around there and then if they hire you tell the other place you’re quitting May 5 or some day around there. Now you give the old place some warning and you get a few days off in between jobs to relax?

Do you currently work nights? That’s the only think I wouldn’t like about the new place. I can’t stand graveyard shifts.

2 Likes

Man. Am I the only one with an annoying job? :flushed: /bump

Lately, I’ve been having a time coping with the GM of this hotel. She must be under a lot of stress for whatever reason. There’s a number of things she messes up. On top of that we have a new guy that is replacing (his friend) that quit. He’s still learning and messes up a number of things too… But nothing I can’t fix, usually.

Tonight? First off, Sunday Night, a Rm was rented to (lets say) Mr. Meany. He was in 103.

New guy wrote him down as being in Rm 105.

Mr. Meany was checked out of the system (Monday Morning), but really wanted to stay 2 nights (and leave Tuesday).

The GM (if not her then it was the New Guy) gave him a new card but didn’t put Mr. Meany back into the system (and in 103) OR bother to write his name on the guest list. I can’t say for certain who f’ed up here, or exactly how.

FF to tonight (Monday). I get a Reservation to come in. The computer tells me 103 is vacant. So he gets 103.

Soon after, Mr. Meany calls up to the Front Desk asking why someone is trying to get into HIS Rm!

I try to explain to Mr. Meany what happened and why… 3 or 4 times, but it’s just not clicking in his brain. I get fed up arguing with this imbecile and then proceed to dismiss anything else he has to say/ask just so I can hang-up and put this other guy into an actual vacant Rm.

Mr. Meany will certainly complain about it in the morning. Maybe even to me… To which then I can demonstrate to him what went down. Put him in the shoes of the guy that had the reservation.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Nah man. I have a job interview at a hostel tomorrow. The job description says it needs someone who is fluent in English to take care of foreign customers. So who knows, if everything goes smooth, I might just join you in the wonderful hotel industry and post something here a few weeks later. :upside_down_face:

Anyway, sorry to hear what’s going on at your workplace. Despite it’s not his fault, this angry customer could have be nicer to you. But hey, they are the customers, they of course always think they’re right and the mean ones will always treat you like shit. He probably will want to complain directly to your manager tomorrow and I don’t see you’re the one to blame. So be cool, let your manager handle him and I think you should be fine.

3 Likes