Yes or No...? 2

I have some vague memories of tape, but I think most of our stuff was on floppy disks or cartridges. I know we had a bunch of games on the Commodore 64 and super early PC where you couldn’t save, though I was young and not all that tech savvy, so there’s every chance I just didn’t know how. :grin:

But I seem to remember there were plenty of early Nintendo and Sega games, like the original Super Mario Bros., where you’d have to start over if your (stupid :stuck_out_tongue:) parents made you turn the console off for dinner.

It was one of the things that annoyed me about early video games, having to get through a bunch of (easy) levels you’d already played a thousand times to get to the difficult one you hadn’t beaten yet. It probably didn’t help that my video game time was rather limited.

4 Likes

Used to be magazines like Antic and Analog! that had pages and pages of code in them. To play the game you’d have to type out all of the code. Now those games didn’t have the ability to save (though the code itself could be saved to a cassette) but later games that were professionally published made use of the tape drives to allow saving.

Floppy disks were amazing when they were new! SO MUCH faster than tape!

I may not be remembering correctly, but didn’t the original Legend of Zelda allow saving to the cartridge?

5 Likes

if it’s a bethesda open world rpg, i save every 10 feet and before going through any door.

7 Likes

I didn’t own it myself, so I never played it much, but according to Wikipedia, the original Legend of Zelda is the first cartridge-based game were you could save your game. (Which, now that I think about it, I think I’ve heard before.)

So there was a year or two of NES games without any saves and I don’t think everyone took advantage of it right away. I know the original (NES) Final Fantasy had save points, but my memory is that a lot of the early platformers and actiony games didn’t.

4 Likes

I had a copy of the first Zelda game. The cartridge was this wonderful gold color. Then my stupid little brother let Marcus Hargrove (I’ll never forget that name) borrow it and we never saw it again. My dad was furious at the time. I don’t think he ever let my brother forget about that and the name Marcus Hargrove is still a hilarious joke at family gatherings.

Dad brought that NES home on his lap on a plane. He bought it in 85 when it was sold only in a few limited test markets so we had one of the first versions in the U.S.

5 Likes

I mean…

(the one save is celebratory : it was made after the initial 100 percent completion before content drop started, and yes I am currently trying to do the Kashmirian saso)

But please don’t look at my RPGs saves. They are a bit obsessive (and RP friendly).

(and yes cyberpunk saves are supposes to show the minutes next to the hours, unless the saves are made at the precise time. It’s that kind of thing.)

5 Likes

I use all available save files as I need them.

Am I going to regret doing a decision that ends with a bunch of people perishing in a war and most of my clan despising me? I use one.

Will I regret the new powers I’ll get out of the three available? I use another one.

Do I want to know which romantic route is the best for me? I save on a new one.

Point of no return, and I still haven’t collected all the shards? I save there.

You get the idea. Actually, @LandirtHome 's Cyberpunk save files are quite similar to mine.

3 Likes
Do you believe the marvel universe movies are tiring and overrated?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Yeah, just because the comics will go on indefinitely doesn’t mean the MCU should. It had a good run but it doesn’t know when to bow out gracefully and instead is burning its self out.

3 Likes

Let it. As long as it’s these actors in these roles and they’ve got material to draw on, keep it coming.

i find them tiring, for sure. even though i was a big old comic geek and was initially delighted with how my old obsession took over the world, i’m still looking forward to the inevitable waning of their popularity. having said that, i do kinda want to see that new deadpool, so i guess i can’t be all that tired :smile:

however, i do not think they’re “overrated”. i don’t have the right to tell people they like something too much, y’know?

3 Likes

i think this isnt’t a simple yes no question, each phase of the mcu had really bad movies, mediocre movies and good movies. people are only becoming hypercritical now because we’ve had so many. I’m personally indifferent, i don’t think it will ever reach the emotional height of infinity war and endgame

2 Likes

I’m currently melting in the heat, with a broken A/C in a state that has perpetual summer. So, What’s your favorite season? Obviously winter is the correct answer.

• Winter
  • Summer
  • Fall/Autumn
  • Spring

0 voters

1 Like

While Winter is great, Fall is the end of the monsoon and the end to high humidity. It signals the coming holiday season and we can finally stop sweating all day long. I also live in an area where it’s hot far longer than it isn’t and we really enjoy those infrequent cooler days.

5 Likes

For me it’s fall but not bc the holiday season is coming. Pumpkin Spice lattes come back to early followed by Christmas music in Oct? No thank you. It’s just nice enough out to not have snow and you’re not boiling either.

6 Likes

Thanks to Lake Michigan, summers here are unpleasantly humid and winters are plagued by lake effect snow. I prefer the two weeks of Autumn and the two weeks of Spring.

4 Likes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pumpkin spice! I hate that so-called “basic” people have co-opted such a nice flavor. I look forward to it every year!

2 Likes

Pumpkin spice is disgusting and ruins everything it’s put on or in. It’s like cinnamon turned up to eleven, because unlike cinnamon, pumpkin spice ruins everything.

1 Like

You have a proper blood feud with pumpkin spice dude

5 Likes

Did Pumpkin Spice hurt you? You appear to feel about as strongly about it as I feel about f-ing suits.

3 Likes