Yes or No...? 2

No need to change it (especially considering the consequences). Didn’t mean to sound harsh or anything, but with the options you gave on that question, it really did give me that impression and a genuine “It’s a good game” option was missing for me :grin:

It’s definitely NOT a bad or mediocre game. If it was, it wouldn’t be adored by so many people. But as Ingvar says, it ultimately boils down to one’s personal preferences on what they want from a Hitman game (as well as how much you can put up with clunkier gameplay if your entry to the series was Abs/WoA). Depending on that, it might rank differently in the series for everyone.

8 Likes

that’s all that matters. it’s all subjective at the end of the day.

the memes are for laughs and likes, and the posts are just people giving their (often polarised) takes on stuff; it should have no bearing on how you feel… unless it’s about how much of a let down absolution was, in which case, that is an objective immutable fact and anyone who disagrees is lying to themselves and you and i will not be taking questions at this time okthanksbye

3 Likes

Overrated but still one of my favourite games of all time.

That said it’s depiction of 47 isn’t good, AI is way too easy to deal with, disguises are way too linear (as in one is better than the other and there is always a best outfit for every occasion), and the NPC body designs are very “I draw big muscles and big boobs because I’m 14”

But I can’t deny the fun I’ve had and continue to have. It is one of my most played games off all time but I still wish people didn’t act like it was perfect

6 Likes

It’s a product of it’s time when devs only used one body type for ALL NPCs because of limitations :stuck_out_tongue:

Body for all human male characters in Oblivion, no matter the age

1 Like

that only means “lots of people like a thing i don’t” :man_shrugging:t4:

on one hand, absolutely spot on. on the other, i think there is an argument (a very weak one, admittedly) that it’s so grotesquely over the top that it supports blood money’s theme of juxtaposing the american dream surface superficiality against the ‘truth’ of the rot underneath.

hey, i said it was weak :smile:

3 Likes

It’s more so “I don’t think it’s as good as it’s said to be” or at least that is how I view it. The term does have a valid use regardless. I don’t represent what Freezer thinks of course but I wouldn’t say “overrated” is that simple

This is a bit true though, I think.

3 Likes

that’s essentially the same thing, i think?

people can rate something as highly or as poorly as they like; it has nothing to do with anyone else. ‘overrated’ implies that people are somehow ‘wrong’ or ‘mistaken’ for liking something as much as they do, and i find it a weird stance to take given what one likes is subjective.

isn’t it less combative to say something like: “i don’t like x as much as other people do” rather than say “people have a higher opinion of x than i think it deserves”?

sorry, it’s a weird pet peeve of mine :smile:

3 Likes

they aren’t the same. “lots of people like something I don’t (you can still like something and believe it’s overrated) strips away a lot of potential meaning that could be in there.

it’s technically true that it implies they are wrong, though again if you say it that simply it creates a lot of gaps.

-fairly similar but not quite. that’s more like “most people like it and I don’t” and less like “I think other people value it too highly”

I hope that doesn’t sound like you need to be super complex and over-the-top. it’s really simple and just that a lot can change when you describe it.

the simple description isn’t exactly wrong but there is a more complex description to leave no room for mistake. subjective opinions will always combat eachother regardless, because humans :laughing:.

2 Likes

Quite a nice word salad I got going on there

Basically what I am saying is, those descriptions you gave are more like “other people like this and I don’t in comparison.” I would say overrated is more like “I think other people rate this too highly based on my own (subjective) opinion” which is a perfectly valid/natural (and subjective in nature) thing to say.

2 Likes

that’s the intention :smile:

i think we can agree that what we like or don’t like is subjective, right?

overrated literally means: “x receives more praise than it deserves.” if what we give praise to is subjective, who the fuck are we to say x doesn’t deserve praise other people give it? don’t like something, by all means, but don’t think one’s value judgements over ‘art-objects’ (or whatever you want to call them) are better or more right than anyone else’s.

saying something is overrated puts ones opinion into a superior, almost objective position in relation to others, which is what grumpy teenagers do. it isn’t even good criticism; it’s lazy and tells us nothing about what you think about the object being criticised.

ihateitihateitihateit

pffft. maybe you are. :smile:

2 Likes

We can agree on that.

If you say something does not deserve the praise other people give it (overrated) that is just as subjective as the praise you yourself give. It is all subjective. Your praise, your opinion, their praise, their opinion. Your opinion of their’s and their opinion of yours. It’s all one and the same, perfectly equal and that is why it’s absolutely fine. Whether they make that harmful or not is up to the writer. If they even think “overrated” is objective, it’s not and it doesn’t make it, and that is why in that regard it doesn’t matter at all.

I have never said the word “opinion” so many damn times.

that depends on what the writer and the person reading intends/interprets. on that note, ditto.

As for supposedly telling us nothing, a good argument will be followed up. A bad argument will just say it’s overrated. It all goes both ways, not one. we’re beginning to clutter up this thread (SECOND TIME :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) so I will back away here. if you would like we can continue somewhere else, though I don’t have much else to say about this. I hope what I say is interpreted as intended

2 Likes

oh shit, we done it again?! no worries, i’m sure it’ll pop up again. 67% of my posts on the internet are “well, actually”-ing anyone who says overrated. :joy:

3 Likes

When did I complimented Contracts? Thought we were talking about BM. But as you opened it, the last time I ranked the installments, Contract was under Absolution! @EvilGeniusRo must remember :wink:

They are still called IMPROVEMENTS, aren’t they? Regarding the time, yes, they had more time to focus on Abs and WoA but they yet were a bigger step forward to be fair.
Here’s a photo I found, and to my eyes, the improvements of SA was more significant, You would call it a new look but Contracts and Blood Money were only some minor improvmenets comparing to their predecessors

3 Likes

3 Likes

It gets better :wink:

2 Likes

You better stay outta my town, Son!

7 Likes

IMG_20210602_201839

7 Likes

That will happen most probably considering ticket prices…

4 Likes

Sudbury? Yeesh you really are putting yourself in witness protection lol

3 Likes

This might be unrelated but any relation to this?