Ask HMF anything

Precisely. Nothing actually has any value.

you’re looking for something extrinsic to give us value, but value is something we construct from within; we always have. you have values, they mean something to you, and that’s all that matters.

what do you think ‘value’ means?

2 Likes

The Heisenberg Parameters of Perfection have no value

1 Like

And we’ve reached the looping point, because my response would just be a lengthier version of what I just said. It’s at this point such discussions always get out of control, so I’m hitting the escape pod button. Knew I was asking for a headache with that reincarnation question, but I’m not part of any other groups and have no one else to ask.

There, that’s a good example.

fair enough. still interested in what you think ‘value’ means though.

Value is how much one thing’s purpose affects another thing’s purpose. Food, for example, would seem to have a high value to humans, as it’s purpose - sustaining us - allows us to continue on in existence to serve our own purpose. Yet, as humans have no purpose (unless you consider us to be an extinction event for Earth to reset), that value is false, because that food is not really helping further any purpose at all.

so if something doesn’t provide utility, it has no value, right? further, because (logical leap) humans have no discernible purpose/utility since (logical leap) they eventually die, humans have (logical leap) no value and thus anything that provides utility to us doesn’t have value.

am i getting that right…?

don’t worry, i won’t drag this out after this. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s it, exactly. To clarify, I am perfectly willing to admit that this is simply a perspective, so I could very well be wrong in all of this. I know that; you can’t have a rational mind and not keep that in your back pocket. I just haven’t been convinced otherwise to be able to see another perspective for nearly two decades.

^This guy knows fiat currency

4 Likes

i don’t really follow the logic, but fair play to you for getting out of bed every morning for the last 17 years with that rattling in your bone box.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. People I work with say that I tire them, and I’m like, “You?!” I then point at my head, “You haven’t had to listen to this, every waking moment, non-stop, for the last (however old I am while saying this) years! This never shuts up. You only have to hear me when I decide to talk.”

we all have our crosses to bear. unsurprisingly, people just find me really annoying because, well, i’m an annoying prick. :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

I’m just making myself and everyone in a room with me deaf, for fun

2 Likes

Oh yeah, been on the other end of that spectrum too, having to be the listener.

“Sorry, I’d love to hear more, but I’m late for surgery. I’m having my ears sewn shut.”

1 Like

ignoring hypothetical health concerns and the like, would you prefer to:

a) eat the last of your favourite tasting, single ingredient food to ever exist

or

b) eat only your favourite tasting single ingredient food for the rest of your life without exception?

• a
  • b

0 voters

i have no idea why this popped in my head…

Definitely a. Better to remember something fondly than to learn to hate it.

2 Likes

Ah, you mean the Blood Money effect

3 Likes

No, I mean the Birth of the Hitman effect.

1 Like

Wait, Birth of the Hitman was a piece of shit from the beginning, except for that cover artwork that was vaguely based on the Codename 47 promo render with 47 and this gargoyle-thingy

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember Hitman as a series fondly, until they wrote that damn thing and had to make H2 and 3 follow it.

1 Like