Ask HMF anything

I can’t say anything regarding Returnal but since Unbound is still quite a fresh game (in other words, barebone particularly with its online functionality), so you can wait until more updates coming later. I’d say you should get Returnal instead! But you know who always vote for NFS anyway.

Besides, we will have Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown coming next year, it might be an even better candidate for your next-gen racing experience. I am looking forward to it too! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Neither, bloodborne or demon’s souls

5 Likes

Ah my sweet Khakiasp… I just don’t think those genres of games are my style.

I do have Bloodborne from PS Plus, but I tried it once and I was awful and confused (i died to some tutorial boss, then respawned in a totally different area??)
Maybe I’ll try it again one day though.

The hype for Returnal is cool, that’s good news.
I did find out its on the PS Plus Extra games catalog, so that’s something to consider. But I’m waiting for my upgrade fee to get below 50$, which should be in a month or so, and by that point it’d be a great deal.
Either way, it’s looking like Returnal and NFS are low stock in places around me. So depending what I find on my shopping trip today, we’ll see what I’ll be getting.

5 Likes

To quote a much wiser man; “L”

You should give it another try, yer supposed to die to the werewolf enemy, wake up in the hunters dream, get weapons from the messengers, return, kill the werewolf and explore yharnam to kill some beasts to get yer mind off things, the rest of the story unfolds from there

4 Likes

Ohhhh. I dunno what I missed but that makes sense I guess.

I think I was just so confused by my death and respawn, since I hadn’t even had time to figure out the controls yet before being punished

Its been a good few years tho so

5 Likes

I would also encourage you to give it another shot, a really excellent game with one of my favourite worlds of all time, both in level design and visuals. If you’re a fan of Gothic literature, artwork or the time period as a whole you’ll have a great time. Also, if you’re at all into Lovecraft it’s a must play.

P.S. I’m slightly biased, and will promote From games until I’m on my deathbed.

5 Likes

If you ever need anything, from in-game knowledge help to jolly cooperation, ive got a whole host of friendly fromsoft fans in my The Fromsoft Games Thread

6 Likes

Alright well I bought Returnal.

Man, it’s gotten really hard (probably because Boxing deals start many days early now) to find copies of either game today. They’re all either sold out at local stores or sold out online.
Doing it because Returnal is the cheaper of the two, and doing it for Jane. She got a major award for this you know!

10 Likes

Here’s my unsolicited advice. :grin:

A few tips on "surviving" Atropos

The first thing I would suggest is rebinding your dash button to one of the shoulder buttons. It seems like 90% of people find it easier to utilize up there. (I put Dash on L1 and Melee on R1, which leaves jump on X so that’s the only face button I need to use with any regularity.) Also, turn on Auto-Sprint (or whatever they call it).

There’s not much that carries over between runs…but what does is tremendously helpful. Every single weapon–including the base pistol–has the potential to absolutely shred…if you get one with the right traits…which you need to unlock by using it.

Increasing the pool of relics that can appear will give you more options in your run and more options are always better. The mysterious device that appears near your crashed ship will help you do that.

Unless you’re uber-good, you will die. You will probably die a lot. It’s part of the game and is even necessary to see all of the story. It helps to remember that the repetition and the futility of throwing yourself at a seemingly impossible task is one of the themes of the game. (Taking a break sometimes helps too.)

Concentrate more on avoiding damage than doing damage, especially in the beginning. Turn auto-aim all the way up (don’t worry, the developers have said they wish they had made it stronger to begin with :wink:) and let loose when you can, but prioritize dashing and learning enemy attack patterns. You’re invincible when you dash and (later) when you grapple. Use that to your advantage.

Don’t be afraid of malfunctions (at least the first two–after that they drastically increase in severity) or the negative effects of parasites. Experiment and figure out which ones you can live with and which benefits are worth it so you can adjust accordingly. (Taking damage from long falls is mostly pointless, for example, because all you have to do is dash right before you hit the ground. Taking damage from picking up items, on the other hand, tends to be the one I avoid at all costs.)

Always, always, always, (and I cannot stress this enough) always buy the astronaut figurine when it’s available. It doesn’t want to let you go.

Returnal can be frustrating as hell at times, but it’s highly rewarding when you finally take down the bosses. And if you get stuck on anything or have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. :smiley:

5 Likes

Ooh, thanks.

With how much you’re stressing to take it at all costs, now I just want to see what happens when I don’t. At least for one death or two… :smiling_imp:

I’m installing it now so I should be able to check it out a bit tonight.

I now realize I might have too many new games open on my plate right now, in similar genres, but I guess that’s just my (possibly) undiagnosed ADD/HD rearing its head.
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales, and now Returnal. All third-person action-adventure titles, two of which take place in space. Oh boy.

3 Likes

You mean IOI Insider or IOI Monthly as those streams were called earlier?
Well, I do miss talking Travis and Clemens in front of a camera unfolding some stuff about the game, the team, the company and interacting with players by answering the most akward questions they couldn’t have ever come up with themselves :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got excited when Returnal got finally announced for PC recently. I got significantly less excited when they disclosed the HW requirements. Probably won’t be even able to start it with my current laptop :sweat_smile::sob:

3 Likes

Has anyone here spent time in a sensory deprivation tank, and can you tell me what the experience was like?

2 Likes

All my PC parts finally arrived! I opted for 32gb of RAM as was suggested and I’m going to be building it tomorrow :smiley:

18 Likes

Can it run Codename 47?

12 Likes

£1150 later, I certainly hope so :grimacing:

6 Likes

Is there anything you’re looking forward to in 2023? I’m super excited for Mortal Kombat 12, i hope it’ll be announced soon :grin:

6 Likes

IGI Origins, STALKER 2, Splinter Cell Remake, The Harry Pattah game, Across the spider verse, The Nun 2.

6 Likes

Uh, Freelancer, helloooo!

Also perhaps Donald Trump being indicted/prosecuted/convicted/executed(?).

Maybe becoming rich.

4 Likes

Absolutely :tumbler_glass: (assuming it does come out this year)

Hopefully… finally…

This year? Come on, not a chance.

(sticking to games here)

Aside from the aforementioned IGI Origins and STALKER 2… I guess mainly Like a Dragon: Ishin (plus The Man Who Erased His Name, if it gets released this year as well). And Espiocracy, if it gets a release date for this year (not counting on it though).

Other than that, sorta looking forward to The Last of Us making a PC debut so I can finally see if all the fuss has been deserved (assuming I can run it). Would like to try Returnal, but that one will definitely not run well/at all on my laptop… The trailer for Armored Core VI also got me kinda excited for it, even though I´ve never played any game in the series, so we´ll see :sweat_smile:

Umm, Sifu on Steam maybe?? :no_mouth:

7 Likes