Elusive Target #14: THE BOOKKEEPER (15 - 25 October 2021)

Oh man. I really wanted to do a video about me completing the bookkeeper SA but IOI’s servers went down just after i killed the target. It wouldn’t reconnect no matter how many times i tried so i closed the game and tried again after a break. It wouldn’t let me try the ET, saying i had failed it.

The reason i wanted to make a video of this was cuz Pertti Järnefelt is the only Finnish target in the whole series :smiley: .

Oh and i did try to contact IOI via email about retrying the ET (if they could have reset it for me). They said no (in an overly eloquent and long manner), so i kinda got little angry with my response… and they kinda encouraged me to calm down just now.

Damn it! I really wanted to complete this ET.

5 Likes

That’s very out of character for you.

tumblr_inline_mh6rtpkNCL1ryb0hd540

3 Likes

Tried it today and it was quite nerve wracking.

Sky became overcast over here while I was doing the contract, meaning a potential blackout that could fail me.

Started as Hacker, went for ledger on Rose’s room safe. No going back now. I went down to shock the target with a puddle by the garage with a micro taser, but he wasn’t showing up. And the two guards talking about the micro explosive were wandering. Then, the target appears but won’t step on puddle. To make matters worse, the two guards start to wander around the puddle. After 5 more minutes, the target finally steps on the electrified puddle and dies. I then leave avoiding the cameras.

Quite the level I’m in, aye?

9 Likes

Shot to pieces trying to find this guys secret ledger. No idea where it is even after my death.

7 Likes

For those that don’t know, the ledger is in a safe in Rose’s bedroom.

3 Likes

Yeeesh i admit it, i should work on my anger xD.

Anyway i actually love Elusive Targets. It’s awesome how there’s these unique targets to kill within limited window of time. You always have this intense sense of tension and pressure when you play them cuz u only get one chance. ETs are cool af!

The biggest issue i have with ETs though is the fact you gotta locate your target. It’s a huge fucking chore to find your guy in some crowded map like Marrakesh.

2 Likes

This is a long shot, but @Travis_IOI, can you DM me?
I accidentally exited this mission instead of restarting, after being spotted within the first few seconds, and got a ‘Failed’.
It was bad enough that I missed one ET, but at least I could come back to that in the future.
Now my perfect record has been completely trashed, after countless hours of work (I’m level 1,041), and all because of selecting the wrong menu option.

2 Likes

This doesn’t happen if you’re a member of #TeamNoRestarts:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

When it comes to ET failures, I always ask myself, “what would Jesus do?” And if the Bible is to be believed, I can conclusively say that Jesus was definitely not a member of #TeamNoRestarts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Restarts shouldn’t be allowed anyway. It’s so aggravating for me to go back and look at my ET record. I now have 2 failures, but that’s the entire point. Super fun concept.

3 Likes

I can see the point of those that are saying that they failed through no fault of their own (network issues, server crashes, etc.) but if the problem is that you didn’t crash your own machine or hit the wrong menu option, I think that’s on you. I sympathize, I really do. I failed this one too and it is the only ET I’ve ever failed at this point and it’s rather crushing to know that, but it is what it is.

3 Likes

I get why people do no restarts but why force others to play like that? Moreover, the old ET:s should have been added as permanent content at this point IMO.

2 Likes

I’m not forcing anyone. Play the way you want. My opinion is the game shouldn’t allow the restarts at all. The tension they were seeking wit the ETs would be way higher if once you loaded it up that was the single chance.

I’m kinda with you about making them permanent content. I wasn’t a couple years ago, but a few have been so good that I would like them to become permanent, but not until the life cycle of the game is totally over. Like last thing they do before the servers go down kind of thing. For now I like the stress of having 1 shot.

3 Likes

I went about this target in a different manner.

In preparation for my run, I did a series of ‘kill everyone with fire Easter egg’ runs (in VR) and well, they weren’t too difficult. (Mistake 1)

So when I did the ET, things went well… took out the target (didn’t see him though, since he was in the basement and the fire kills within proximity. I got the ledger and went to the gate to escape…I was free to leave… but instead I decided to unleash madness…
since I didn’t find the run exciting enough. (Mistake 2)

Instead of being sneaky, I was running around, firing rounds off, drawing enemies (in order to get a higher body count and just be nuts). This ultimately led to a quick death… understandably the footage isn’t the best, but I can upload it when I get home later.

It was fun and I wish I got away with it, but it’s alright to fail once and a while.

6 Likes

Man, this et is making me go crazy. lol
I have the kill I want but the timing of getting to the house and upstairs is aggravating me cuz the kill on the target is not easy at all. In fact, in 200 tries, I think I got the kill twice. Fml. lol

So I might have to alter WHERE I get him with my kill method. Hopefully I get it done today or tomorrow. Haven’t been able to play all week.

4 Likes

It’s certainly a level where, if we were having a competition of some sort, and if your 47 died meant you were eliminated, I’d probably just not go for some elaborate SA tactic against a clock. I’d probably just make sure I got out alive even if it meant having to use a bomb or something like that; eat the score penalty.

I wanted to do a smooth SONKO (no explosions or panic) and I don’t like emetics. So it felt a bit cheap using the taser, but with such a large group of enforcers and an escape triggered by the tiniest of alerts, the opportunities were quite limited. Still I was happy with how the route turned out.

Elusive Target #14: The Bookkeeper - Suit Only (3.28)

17 Likes

I have a question…

I’m not that much into ETs and I don’t get that whole fail thing and all :see_no_evil:

I’m very interested in the dialogues of this target, because he is part of Greys militia and so the first thing I’d like to do is just following him around and listening to as much as possible.

But is it possible than, when I’m finished, to quit and start anew, killing him then? Because I would like to do both separately, but I’m not sure if I can start the mission again after following him around to finally kill him.

4 Likes

Yup. You have the option of restarting up until you complete an objective or die. So in this case as long as you don’t kill the Bookkeeper, pick up his ledger or get yourself killed, you can restart as much as you want. (I even knocked him out a couple of times and restarted when I was testing my “strategy”. :grin:)

6 Likes

Ah nice, thank you for the quick answer :heart::hugs:

Than I will follow him around tomorrow and when I’m done I will try to kill him :grin:

3 Likes