HITMAN VR (Discussion)

I voted HITMAN 3 VR because, let’s be honest for a moment, a part of Half Life Alyx (2020) and some other replayable games like Beat Saber, any FPS etc, 2022 was another dead year for VR.

Back then when H3 VR was coming to pc, i was almost sure that IOI was giving us the real vr version. If it weren’t for the absence of real body movement (i don’t remember how technically it’s called), the ability to use both hands and for the very poor rendering, I would probably still playing it sometimes.

At this point, unless they are secretly working for the PSVR2 version, so PS5 (which I doubt and even if I wouldn’t be surprised) I don’t think that they will revamp half VR mode to fix most of the issues that it has.

Personally, I think VR in general is “dead” and, ironically, the only publisher who is trying to do something good it’s Sony Playstation. For them, could be a good move to make a sort of “monopoly”, because who wants to pay 400€ for the cheapest VR Headset and at least another 1200€ or more for a PC when with just 1000€-1200€ you bring at home PS5, PSVR2 and the new Horizon VR spin off.

I still wonder if Sony threw them more cash to upgrade Hitman VR to PSVR2. It seems like such an obvious move. The game is probably 95% of the way there – just need to take advantage of the new controllers and hardware

I’d be very, very surprised if it doesn’t. I know it wasn’t implemented all that well, even with just one controller, but it’s still very weird that they can’t let the PS5 version support the old PSVR content. So there’s gotta be an update for the new hardware sometime after launch…

1 Like

It looks like Freelancer does not have VR support enabled. I know there’s some unique UI in Freelancer but I’m not sure if there’s anything that would need require additional VR-specific work. Maybe this could be modded like the bonus missions VR mod where the VR support is just a toggle?

4 Likes

One of PSVRs greatest AAA game better get a PSVR2 release… the launch lineup is so bare rn, cmon!

I don’t understand why it isn’t at least announced yet. How much work could it be to port the PC version to PS VR2?

Sony needs to get more AAA games lined up or their new VR headset is going to be dead in the water. Current lineup is the definition of lackluster, with a couple exceptions, and it’s hard to justify the investment without knowing what’s in the pipeline.

Guess it’s time to give up hope on support for PSVR2. Shame since it seems like a great piece of hardware. Even Sony doesn’t seem interested in producing games for it.

Psvr2 is still pretty new tho. Give it some time. I mean, konami is still working on re4 remake.

True. I just worry it’ll never get a critical mass of units to attract developers if Sony doesn’t back it. Still don’t understand why they don’t just foot the porting cost for Hitman on PSVR2 like they were willing to foot the development cost for the original PSVR.

I dunno, theres a very very very slight possibility that there could be a refresh on how the VR systems work and how players can interact with the world, if they’re taking this long on a PSVR2 port…

But yeah that’s a big pipe dream and we should just hope for any sort of confirmation at all there’s a plan for a next-gen version…
Like, the mode definitely wasn’t accepted all that well at launch and I’m sure isn’t all that popular with the masses currently…

I lost track but did they make any major changes when the PC version came out or was that still janky? I remember hearing that the PSVR version requiring a gamepad was a big drawback

I don’t know about changes, but I think the PC version works great.

Not really, you can’t even move yourself fisically (room scale), and if you do it your movement fucks up. You have to stand still, which is a headache after 10 minutes of gameplay.
Hands are free to move, but only the right hand works almost for everything. You can’t even pick objects with the left hand.

Hitman VR on PC (and if PSVR2) needs a total revamp.

I never found standing still in VR to be a problem. I’ve done the entire campaign in VR and I never had a problem with the way it works. I disagree that it needs a “total revamp”.

I think it’s more so revamp in terms of interactivity with the play space before you. All things considered HITMAN VR is very… barebones compared to competitors with stuff like RE8 VR and RE4R VR being total game changers.

Hitman VR from what I’ve seen looks like “Press Button to do a thing” rather then letting the player work it out on their own. It’s just a glorified first person mode with some VR qualities that feel no better than Call of Duty on the Wii.

I guess it was expectations that were different then. I never expected the VR mode to be anything but “glorified first person”.

Other VR games like Egression or The Room were truly interactive masterpieces that were actually puzzle games. Hitman isn’t a puzzle game in that same vein. I know there are puzzle aspects of the way that contracts are executed, but that isn’t what I’m talking about here.

For my own taste, the VR in Hitman is exactly what I expected it to be.

I’ve never played any Resident Evil game so I can’t speak to that.

Well i don’t pretend something big, but at least being free to move freely would be perfect. Room scale should be a must in any VR Game.

Then again, i had fun times in HITMAN VR, i wish was better on PC.

1 Like

That is an interesting opinion. I cannot imagine needing or wanting to physically move around my house while wearing a VR headset. I don’t have the space to make that even remotely safe (plus I never use the thing without the cable attached so that would be a problem too). I don’t even like to stand while I’m using the headset, must less walk around.

The biggest problem I can see with a game like Hitman being room scale is that the map is huge. At some point you’d have to “Jump” to a different space unless you had a space to play that was the size of Sapienza or whatever map you were in.

2 Likes

The level of immersion is so much greater when you can walk around and interact with objects though. You’re right, of course, that the maps are too big for that to be the primary way to move but it still would add to the experience

That word pops up every now and then around here: immersion. It’s a concept that I have never understood, which is probably why I disagree about the need to revamp PC VR.