Is the ICA Outstanding Service Coin so rare?

17 Likes

It seems I remember the main game’s ICA OS coin being rewarded for getting SA on a number of Exclusive Target runs. Could the new coin be tied to getting SA on all levels/maps? SA every level of a single Campaign? Or something related. I assume some have done this though.

Or maybe they’re covering up the fact that they forgot to program it into the game and want us to believe is hidden.

12 Likes

I’m also attributing its lack of presence to Hanlon’s Razor and believe it was initially unintentional. If it really were meant to be a rare collectible, it’d probably sit alongside other collector tools on the weapon wall instead of the disposable briefcase.
Next patch might just add it to vendors as a regular tool, since Collector’s Coin is missing its non-permanent counterpart.

2 Likes

I think I know exactly where the coin is.

It’s… in the next patch.

13 Likes

Can someone test it?

1 Like

The three coins (only one depending on your best result) were rewarded for trying but failing an ET, completing an ET but not SA, and SAing an ET.

If this coin is really a nod to the original coin, it could have something to do with SA. :thinking:
I’m pretty sure I’ve SA’d all levels of a single campaign though. Really hope it’s not SA on every location, because Colorado exists.

I am more inclined to believe that the coin is just not actually possible in the game right now. If this particular coin is only obtainable in some strange convoluted way and not readily available via either a reward crate or the supplier, it would be the only item in the entire game mode with that sort of availability. The fact that it’s an easily lose-able item (even if you don’t take it on a mission) makes that a long-odds proposition to me.

7 Likes

Yes, but what if unlocking it initially then adds it to the normal pool of items obtainable via reward crates and suppliers?

It’d still be the only item in the game that behaves that way. No other tool requires you to “unlock” it first before it’s generally available. There are weapons like the Ancestral themed ones that are based on unlocks but none of the tools act that way. Additionally, the themed weapons are listed as Mastery items in the game and you can see when you can unlock them before you get them. The coin doesn’t share that capability.

I may very well be wrong, but I think it’s just an error in the code rather than some method no one has discovered yet.

3 Likes

I already replied to the person who posted this on Twitter telling them that this is nonsense. All they did was “ask” ChatGPT how to obtain the coin. And ChatGPT did what it does best - spew misinformation.

12 Likes

Pretty sure there’s no bouncer outfit in Berlin, unless you count security guards. Besides, AI chat bots don’t have exclusive access to developers’ notes at IOI. They just make things up on the spot.

2 Likes

Expanding on this futher, ChatGPT is wrong every step of the way.

Make your way to the nightclub area.

The whole map is the nightclub. Except if you were to spawn at the default story mission start up at the gas station. Which doesn’t happen in Freelancer.

In the back of the club, you will find a bouncer guarding a door. Knock him out and take his outfit.

This is incredibly confusing language and doesn’t really describe any guard in Berlin.

Enter the door and make your way down to the underground club area.

Pretty sure none of the routes underground are obstructed by doors that you have to open manually.

Look for a room with a large DJ booth and a bar.

No such room exists.

The ICA Outstanding Service Coin is on the bar counter.

Nope. It’s just a regular coin.

So overall a great example of the limitations of AI chatbots.

6 Likes

29 Likes

Yeah I was parsing these instructions and finding errors every step of the way and scratching the ol proverbial noggin as a result.

Didn’t realize it was a chatbot aka future overlord. Makes way more sense now.

2 Likes

I think someone would have found it by now to be fair.

I think it will still have to be unlocked, but we’ll hopefully have a bit more clarity on it when the next patch arrives. :slightly_smiling_face:

IOI might even give it out for free due to the issues with it :wink::wink::crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Automatically awarded to anyone who has never Alt+F4’ed in Freelancer…

homer-collar

9 Likes

Knowing that it’s a Freelancer tool, imagine losing it again right after :smiley:

5 Likes

Imagine losing it by accidentally feeding it to a vending machine. :grinning:

5 Likes

19 Likes