Is the Molotov Cocktail too unbalanced?

You mean, playing like the actual character the game is based on and not a Call of Duty soldier who needs to use the bathroom badly? Distinctly unlikely. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The only thing I think is missing is that NPC’s should react to it when its placed on the ground like a gun. It’s far too easy to place it before a suspicion meter fills and everyone just acts normal, allowing the player to trigger it either with an explosive or throwing something like a wrench at it to cause it to explode and get a fire accident kill.

1 Like

Sounds like a reasonable adjustment.

That would remove a lot of potential creative uses from it though. You’d no longer be able to, say, place it on a balcony and let an NPC push it off while leaning to kill someone walking below…

3 Likes

It’s good to see people comment in my topic and share their thoughts.

For me, the design of Molotov is pretty balanced.
Fire accident? Good.Explosion and melee kill? Good.Illgal to throw? Good.But its glitches make it kinda broken. The speedrun now looks like a Molotov competition.

I like the item, I love throwing it to a crowd and watching the exaggerated fire effect. It’s good to see a unique bottle among the explosion devices and ducks. Using it to kill a target with fire accident is not an easy thing. So IO shouldn’t remove it but fix the wallbangs and dart-trigger glitch. And this is just my personal thought.

1 Like

Why fix the dart glitch particularly? You say it ruins speed runs, but I’m fairly sure that glitch will never be used in a speed run as it’s slow and a bit loadout costly. Personally I see potential cool uses for that glitch as well as cheese ones - for example firing a dart a long distance to hit the bottle for a stylish kill.

Sure, if you did a challenge run that was ‘kill targets with fire’ and you used that to make it easier and not have to worry about the panic, that would be a dull use… but that’s your choice. I’m generally for keeping non-intrusive glitches in (ones that have to be intentionally committed) and letting the player judge fair uses of it.

As it is it feels like Hitman speed running is way too commonly dependent on boosting with breakable objects. While I find that overdone and like it cuts out the challenge of traversing through the map and the obstacles which balance different ways around, I would never particularly want to see boosts removed from the game, as it allows even casual users to have fun exploring inaccessible areas (e.g. chaos on the Miami racetrack, or setup for a creative ‘drone strike’ kill).

Cuz it’s a bug. It’s nothing about speedrunning. It’s just like Dartmoor lawyer disguise counts as suit in contract mode. If it’s fixed, the only thing that may be affected is puzzle contracts.
Of course, that’s just my advice. Fixing it or not depends on IOI, maybe they don’t even know how to fix it and keep it as a feature.

1 Like

They don"t. Because technically it’s working as intended. Tranquilizer shot = KO that retains SA. It’s the exploit of shooting the target immediately after with a gun that causes the “problem”.

If ioi could fix it and not break other mechanics in the process, they would’ve already done it.

2 Likes

Honestly, with current trend of always online, that sounds like a terrible idea.
Now, I do support idea of most of H3 content being avaiable offline, and I think that H3 being constantly online helds it back, but, if you keep the game as it was when it launched, you kinda give up idea of potentially fixing it if there will be any gamebreaking bug/issue, or if you want to update it with new content. Or, like in this case, if you put in item that is not exactly balanced and potentially breaks the game.

Ambrose looked at this quote in disgust!

(obvious reaction)

I think it’s fun!

Actual footage of me throwing Molotov Cocktails on everyone:

6 Likes

It completely ruins all speedruns for the future, I hate it.

Actually no it doesn’t. Accidental knockouts of a target isn’t seen as an accident in HM3.

2 Likes

Compare to Molotov, the remote emetic gas device is much more easier to use.
you can just put it in a briefcase and just walk to your target and your target will just go to the bathroom. If the electric phone is the top 1 I, believe the emetic briefcase is the 2nd.

The 3rd easy tool should be “The big One”, which you only have to find a Propane Flask which is available on every map.

All the above methods is easier than using a illegal thrown bomb which you must keep the distance very well and it is very likely that the bodyguards of the target being killed as well because the fire radius of the Molotov is very large

I also known that you may shot a dart on it and it will just burn without explosion, which make it more funny and creative.

there are less than 500 speed runners while the game has millions of players. Don’t speed runners have their own website for competition where they need to upload a video to prove it? Maybe they can create a “No-Molotov” section there. The fire bottle is a very fun tool, I wish it stay as it is now.

4 Likes

If that’s the case, the speed running community can make an active decision to not use it. But they won’t, so clearly it doesn’t really ruin anything.

2 Likes

I voted Yes, but only because the Molotov can kill through walls. (As is my understanding from a YouTube video I watched, I haven’t got Mastery Level 20 yet).

If they can fix that, I think it would be a decently balanced weapon, as it’s illegal to carry and has the potential to kill a non target/guard if not timed right or if the Target is not isolated.

I can perfectly understand the “Accident kill” point people are making though.

1 Like

In Hitman 2 and 3, KO’s from the Tranquilizer gun and Goldbrick Snail retain SA. So both work as intended.

2 Likes

or if you use the Tranquilizer gun on the target you can snipe or pistol the target its still SA

Molotov is a cool item. However there are obvious problems with the fire going through multiple walls and floors, ruining both immersion, competition, contracts, speed running. Did they intend for it to work this way? Did they not know how to make the fire effect not go through walls, since it looks like it was chopped up code from the fire accident barrels. You guys say that the Molotov is fair because it is illegal to throw, but right now the main way to use it is to throw from an empty room and kill the target behind an adjacent wall. Free kills while being impossible to be seen. I would like this bug to be fix in order not make contracts with fire trivial, competitions, ETs, and leaderboards.

I would also argue that a Molotov kill, like a flamethrower kill, wouldn’t be an accident. It honestly ruins the immersion of the item. It’s like adding a new gun, but the bullets count as accidental. These NPCs should just stop accidently walking into my bullets. The fire however, is probably a restriction of the engine and code for fire kills at the moment.

Anyways its not gonna be fun when molotov are the obvious if not the only solution.

3 Likes