The Booze Thread

Scotch is an exciting world. Just like bourbon there are lots of blends and lots of single malts to try. You could drink all the time and never get through them all.

Don’t temp me; I’m an American white guy from the southwest consisting of a blended family of rednecks and hillbillies, one side of which I’m pretty sure is Irish, and the other I’m pretty sure is German, with a slight blending of Native American a few generations back. That’s a bloodline consisting of centuries’ worth of alcoholics. I have to be careful, because I give in to vices very easily, and I know I’m a drinking problem waiting to happen.

1 Like

Bottoms up!

2 Likes

I would go for Black Label if it’s Walker. Blue is also alright.

3 Likes

:joy: yea it’s “just alright.” Blue is 10x the price of Red though. Black is easily worth the price hike compared to Red. I like Green too but have never understood the fascination with double black or gold.

Also the Game of Thrones branded “white walker” label is good. I never tried the other GOT one. It’s a black bottle with a dragon on it or something.

I intend to. I figured Red Label would be blander and a better place to start to see if I even like scotch. Next time, I’ll up the intensity with Black.

1 Like

I think there are better places to start this journey then Johnny Walker. It can be to cheap, I would probably start with Highland Park Viking Honour 12 year old. It’s not that expensive and won a lot of prices. It’s smooth and with little smoke.

2 Likes

I wanted to start with ones I’ve heard of by name, before working my way up to top tier stuff. I’m currently on the lookout for Famous Black Grouse. Anything that can make Ron White more fucked up than usual must be good.

1 Like

When you get to single malts my personal fav 12 year is The Cragganmore. When I first got into scotch I stumbled on it randomly back then and it was on the cheaper end for 12 years, but it’s popularity has risen since then and it’s now $80 to $90 a bottle but a very good buy IMO bc of how nice it is. The Glenlevit 15 year French Oak Reserve is another one I believe to be a very good buy at around 70/80 a bottle.

But enjoy the journey! Some people have these little notebooks where there jot down how a scotch smells, tastes, and then tastes a second after you swallow (called how it finishes). It’s super nerdy but can be fun. I like to sometimes do it for a bottle I have never tried and then go look at what the experts write down and see just how terrible I am at recognising specific flavours and smells :joy:

The cold weather is here. Time for Krupnik and Cherry Vodka

3 Likes

Soplica?? Dear lord, what a name :joy: (to explain: “sopl” is the Czech slang word for nasal phlegm, so you can imagine my chuckle when I saw this)

2 Likes

Happy New Year

5 Likes

More than a few Malorts were had last night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q7s16ewP1RU

1 Like

Happy Paddy’s Day!

:four_leaf_clover: :beer: :four_leaf_clover: :beers: :shamrock: :beer: :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

A beer before I turn in for the night, tomorrow Tokyo.

7 Likes

Graševina white wine

Apologies, my phone is a piece of shit

4 Likes

But if advice for all the new drinkers out there: eat before you drink. Just had a third of a glass of bourbon on an empty stomach and then followed it with food, and WOOOOOOW!

1 Like

I am drinking the Mezcal Mal Bien “Zacate Limón” variant, and it is smooth and delicious. Infused with lemongrass, it starts with a uniquely zesty, vegetal taste, evolving soon after into a slightly smokey linger.

Really good, not expensive, made by and supporting local farmers and distillers.

Highly recommended, especially for those who like a smooth but complex mezcal.

4 Likes

Do you prefer a Lava Flow or a Miami Vice :thinking:

This one’s a lava flow but usually I prefer a Miami.

It’s Christmas, which means it’s negroni time.

5 Likes