The Sony Playstation Thread

PlayStation Plus is going have three tiers starting in June and PlayStation Now is ending.

• PlayStation Plus Essential ($10 US a month. Basically current PS+)
  • PlayStation Plus Extra ($15/month. Adds a catalog of 400 downloadable PS4/5 games)
  • PlayStation Plus Premium ($18/month. Adds 300+ games, a mix of streamable PS3 games and PS1, PS2 and PSP titles. And the PS4 games from the Extra tier can be streamed)

Sounds like there’ll be an early look later today and more information closer to launch.

5 Likes

It’s a shame they’re not expanding the PS Now service prior to the changes so that everyone can get access to the Premium tier if they want it. I’ll be forced into the special Deluxe tier (Premium but without PS3 streaming) until they decide to roll it out. :frowning:

3 Likes

That’s… fine.

If this is Playstation’s answer to Game Pass, there are a few things that it seems to be lacking.

Mainly, Day-one additions of first-party titles, or full downloadable backwards-compatibility.
Very confused why you’d need to pay more to be able to stream the PS4 titles in Extra, if you’re already getting access to download it/play it locally.

Maybe one day, in their next console, they’ll be able to figure out how to emulate the PS3. Unfortunately I’ve heard a lot that the streaming on PS Now isn’t up to par.

3 Likes

I think the reason they can’t do it is that the interior architecture of the PS3 is so radically different from anything before and after it that it makes on-disc BC impossible.

2 Likes

Sony’s released a partial list of what will be available on the new PS+. Presumably the full list will be available when the service launches in Asia on the 24th.

Most of it’s the first-party games you’d expect, but there are some cool third party games, too, including a number of older Ubisoft titles.

And this seems like welcome news:

Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title. Some of the titles will also be available for individual purchase.

Personally, I like that last sentence. I’d rather just buy the games I want to play. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

As someone who is currently playing Valhalla I have to say one simply does not rent it.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure what some of that means in the article… it’s a bit confusing.

Does “Original Playstation and PSP generation” not mean PS1 and the OG PSP?

Plus the “download a version for the PS4/5 consoles if they already own the digital version”
If you own the digital version, you’ll be able to download another digital version on the store? What?

1 Like

I think it refers to the purchase of PS1 and PSP games digitally on the PS Store. The store has had a selection of older games on it digitally.

From the post: “Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5.”

If you download a classic game from Plus Deluxe then you can get the true game installed on your Playstation digitally like any other game, I assume.

3 Likes

Hi folks,
I am facing an issue on the PS4 controller.(I put this in this page but feel free if I need to move it to any other page).

When I start using the controller for any game the left analog stick moved upward works intermittently - for instance in Hitman, when I hold press the L1 button and forward move the L3 analog - 47 runs and then suddenly starts walking , some times stands there. If the move the analog stick say 5 degree left or right - it works fine.
My other controller is working fine however - so it is a 100% controller issue.

After browsing the solutions in internet, when I hard rotate the analog stick clockwise - it starts working, however when I do not use the joystick for sometime, it again does not work.
So every time I need to hard rotate the analog stick clockwise - and 2 out of 10 times it does not work. I tried to vacuum clean the joystick and thoroughly cleaned.
I haven’t tried to open the interior yet.

Does anyone faced these kind of issues ? Or any help or suggestion I can try.

It’s looking like my Dad’s PS4 is starting to malfunction. Bought him the new F1 22 game and it is causing so many problems with the console, causing it to crash and force a hard reset. He’s going to return it and get another game, see if it does the same thing. But I’m guessing this will be an issue.

Wondering if it is worth getting it repaired, taking it to Edinburgh to see if there is a place that can repair it.

5 Likes

Games are getting overly heavy for this old device of ours, I’m facing the same problems on specific games as well (frame drops, high fan activity, crashes etc). The best option would probably be saving for a PS5 for a while.

4 Likes

Yeah, my Dad just has the base PS4 model, I believe from about 2016. Apparently after some faffing around the game is now working, somehow, but it does make me wonder if the console might be on the way out. My Dad doesn’t do that much gaming, I don’t think much interests him outside the F1 games at the moment, so I guess that question would be whether he’d think it would be worth upgrading to a PS5 in the future. We’ll see anyway.

4 Likes

I’m kind of in the same boat – my PS4 is dying, I think I figured out It’s the harddrive, but with how pricey new drives are, I’m thinking I should save my money and it would be better used for a brand new PS5 instead.

I seem to have a very specific issue, so figuring out what the problem was took a while. Luckily I found the one and only other person on the internet who described exactly what was happening to my games.
It’s unfortunately a corrupted hard drive issue and it needs replacing.

Reddit - Dive into anything

there were audio glitches that started happening where the music would suddenly go dead. On top of that, it would also freeze and try to load during gameplay now and then.

whenever there was dialogue, there’d be moments where all sound would cut out completely for varying periods of time (never longer than half a minute), and when the sound came back, it was crazily out of sync with the onscreen visuals.

The dialogue cutting out is especially frustrating for me, as it ruins immersion in dialogue cutscenes. Plus, when dialogue “catches up”, it often overlaps making conversations really hard to understand.

I feel like it’s something to do with the hard-drive playing animation and audio files in succession and just bugs out.
It’s made games like Jackbox titles literally impossible to play (probably because how many audio&visual files are played in tandem). The question/answers never gets read out in full, there’s awkward moments of no music or dialogue, the answer countdown continues even when the game is frozen… its insane.

4 Likes

Or be the absolute Chad that you want to be and get a steam deck.

3 Likes

I think the world will end before they make more of them. I have been waiting for one years and I am nearly ready to defect to Xbox right now. It would have to be a Series S but it is better than nothing.

2 Likes

It’s greener on this side. We just don’t have games that are glorified movies.

2 Likes

I actually happen to like those sorts of games very much. Xbox had virtually no exclusive games that interested me until recently and still doesn’t have a lot of interesting games.

1 Like

Gaming nature is healing. I’ve been seeing more and more PS5 consoles on sale for longer than 30 minutes at a time.
So either the scalpers are giving up or the supply line is moving smoother.

2 Likes

I think it’s a mixture of both. Series S, Digital PS5’s and Switch OLED’s have been at the Walmart up by parents and haven’t been flying off the shelf. That being said the disk version have been harder to get.

2 Likes

I wish it was that easy here, it is mostly the digital editions that are on sale even then some stores sell them online and one retailer isn’t stocking them at all for their big toy sale… Maybe the simpler solution is to simply move to Canada

1 Like