The Sony Playstation Thread

1 Like

Finally! It’s been rumored (wished for for so many months) glad to see we’re finally getting a presentation of upcoming major next-gen (is it current-gen now?) content.

1 Like

This Is Happening GIFs | Tenor

4 Likes

Happening in about 25 minutes…

4pm ET… It Begins!

2 Likes

Holy crap, a Talos Principle sequel. :smiley:

2 Likes

fUCK YEAH BOIIIISSS WE ARE GETTING SNAKE EATER REMASTERED!!!

That Final Fantasy trailer gave me a headache, I somehow learnt nothing about the story despite every cliché trailer line being used in the trailer

Lots of really cool reveals so far, and a lot coming this year! (Some even in the next few months!)

Helldivers 2, Alan Wake 2, a game that looks like a successor to Journey AND Abzu at the same time… wow wow wowie

Very excited about Teardown PS5 port. I’ve been jealous of PC players for a while now.

4 Likes

Indies look phenomenal, I am wishing them all the best.

All the JRPG trailers look like they are all made by the same guy.

3 Likes

Hey @MrOchoa, Spider-Man 2 has The Lizard in it.

3 Likes

Also he’s like 12 feet tall it looks like. Big lizard boi

3 Likes

Alright, and that’s it for the showcase! Lots of reveals of titles coming in 2023 and 2024 (and some with no window at all) Here’s what I’m excited for:

Misc. Notes

First off, I was a FOOL for expecting TLOU Multiplayer reveal for some reason.
We’re nearly halfway into '23, and have been expecting some sort of concrete reveal soon… but not yet…
Fingers mega-crossed they’ve prepped it for a big reveal at Keighley’s Summer Games Fest.

Second, we dipped into some vague, CGI-only reveal trailers for new IPs in the second half, which never really showcase what those games’ genres even are, so… that was a bit ehh.

But! In terms of the content shown, oooh there’s a lot that’s interesting!

Starting off with Helldivers 2, coming this year! It is now played in third-person, giving a great perspective on the scale of the enemies. Not much else seems “new”, as the usual iconic gadgets and Bugs enemies were only shown. More to come later, I’m sure.

Alan Wake 2! Out mid-October on the 17th! Surprisingly you don’t seem to play as Alan, but as an FBI agent partnered with someone who looks like Sam Lake, in a reference to the definitely-not-Alan-Wake-reference from Quantum Break!!

Sword of the Sea - from the devs behind The Pathless and Abzu (and probably Austin Wintory of Journey), comes a game that looks like the latter both of those titles combined, plus some sword-sand-surfing involved too. Gorgeous lighting and particle texturing for the sand, it looks exciting!

Teardown, the voxel-destruction heist game, is coming to Consoles this year! Woooo!

The Plucky Squire! The 2D animation/3D environment mix of an adventure game looks really unique and interesting as it blends styles and platforming together.

Revenant Hill, a successor/spinoff/sequel/IDON’TKNOW of Night In the Woods from developer Finji is in development! No idea what it is, but its got a similar art style to the other thing.

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater!! A remake of MGS3 is in the works, looks really great, hopefully Konami doesn’t screw something up with the dev team.
Also coming this fall, a modern port of the original MGS 1, 2 and 3.

Playstation ‘Project Q’ - a new handheld device with an 8-inch screen and a Dualsense cleaved in half, built to stream PS5 games remotely via Wi-Fi. Bit weird, especially since it could have benefitted from being a cloud gaming device too. Ah well.

Spider-Man 2! We got a full mission shown with a big gameplay set piece. Looks like a lot, but I hope they can pull off the two-Spidey gameplay and multiple-major-villain story! We’ve got Kraven hunting various super-people across New York (game-world looks like it’s expanded off Manhattan Island) inckuding The Lizard and two Spider-Men. Also in the mix is the Black Suit, making Spidey Angrey… Deep Yuri Lowenthal Voice ooh.

7 Likes

I hope so. His scores for all three of those games are top tier.

1 Like

It isn’t PS5 Exclusive so I’m happy.

2 Likes

funny how the lizard in this gameplay showcase is more aquatic than killer croc has been in any of the arkham games

the gameplay seems fine, the graphics make it look like a fake videogame, as the hyperrealism doesn’t blend well with the fantastic but slightly cartoony animation. but atleast they seemed to have updated the combat to be more intense and deep and the character design of Kraven and The Lizard don’t make me wanna throw a rant on how they look terrible and should’ve been designed differently like the villain designs of the first spider-man game

2 Likes

There did seem to be something off with how certain things looked in the presentation. Felt a bit cinematic-trailer-disguised-as-gameplay at times, but I’m chalking it up to it all being a scripted, practiced demo.

I will say, it showed off the PS5 Features really well and extremely blatantly :laughing:

The insta-swap across the city to Miles, and the super-slingshot into MACH 6 SPEED really showcases how technically impressive this title is gonna be compared to the first. (and I guess how the team learned to do some of this with the Morales game and the PS5 remaster)

1 Like

i think thats probably why the demo looked so non-videogamey sometimes. these gameplay demos are a bit like human robots in that regard, they’ll never look like a real videogame is being played

1 Like

Show me a game over screen, THEN I’ll believe you, Sony!! :joy:

1 Like

Interesting reveals. Isn’t Project Q basically just what the Wii U did with its gamepad? Not sure I get the appeal really. Be interested to see how it does.

The decision to remake Snake Eater is very interesting, as is the decision to port MGS 1, 2, and 3. It feels like whenever a game is remade, the old version gets left behind but this is pretty cool. Find it very interesting, I wonder if the plan would be to remake Metal Gear titles in chronological order? So Peace Maker next, skip over MGSV, then potentially remake the original Metal Gear 1 and 2. Would make a lot of sense, considering how much those original games hinge on the MGS story, doing a modern retelling while incorporating all the stuff the Solid series has added.

Loved the first Talos Principle, hope the sequel can be as good. Devs have a bit of a rough track record though, especially with the last couple of Serious Sam games, so hope it can live up to the first game and the excellent expansion pack too.

2 Likes

So to answer your question. Snake Eater is the earliest game and is regarded as the best place to start with the Series without it getting muddled with the overarching story.

The Masters Collection is gonna be released in volumes and will be the most complete MGS Collection to Date since the Legacy Collection. It will mark the first time MGS1 will be on Xbox. It’s unclear what games will be in the later Volumes, but MGS4 despite being fundamentally structured around PS3 Hardware is on the table. What type of magic they will pull to get it on other consoles idk. But if I was a gambling man I’d assume it would be emulation.

2 Likes