TV Show Discussion Thread

Strange rumour. Didn’t they already announce someone else as the next Doctor?

Only rumours I’ve heard involving Him is that he might Guest Star a couple times in the next series, just due to popularity or whatever reason.

I haven’t kept up with the show in recent years, but would there be anything to explain why he’d be “Number 14”? Seems a bit farfetched to me, but what do i know.

2 Likes

It’s not a rumor. They already showed the regeneration and put out a teaser.

I assume he’ll only be there for the specials (with Catherine Tate :smiley:), then Ncuti Gatwa will take over in series 14.

They waved their magic wand to explain it away by making The Doctor the Timeless Child with unlimited regenerations. (Plus, there were a whole bunch of inconsistencies when it came to how many regenerations the Doctor had anyway.)

2 Likes

Huh, nice way to circumvent a path laid out on how long to take a series, because it’s too popular to stick with little things like plans.

LET’S FUCKING GOOOOO

5 Likes

Interesting stuff. I have to admit though, Tennant isn’t my favourite Doctor, and I do have mixed feelings about the idea of a past Doctor basically coming back. To me, New Who has been in Tennant’s shadow for some time now, I actually think alot of the 13th Doctor’s personality and mannerisms are very Tennant-ish. Still though, could be interesting. Neil Patrick Harris as a Who villian should be pretty awesome.

3 Likes

hmm. not sure about that one! Tennant easily wins best Doctor, with Matt Smith coming in second by not much. (Disregarding the classics ofc)
Much of Capaldi was dull and boring, as well as being poorly written, and that pattern followed through with Whittaker.
Last episode I watched was when Clara died! Never thought I’d ever be excited for a Dr Who episode again.
I hope they can do something with Matt sometime soon though!

3 Likes
  1. Back in 2013, however, he got another 12, so 24!
2 Likes

I’m probably more of a Classic Who fan than a New Who fan to be completely honest. Some great Tennant episodes though, I’ve always loved The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit 2 parter.

The Moffat era, who did Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi’s eras was definetly an era of highs and lows though. The attempt to make Capaldi dark was definetly a failure, and the Series 9 opener seemed to walk that back hard with 12 playing guitar whilst wearing sunglasses.

The Chibnall/Whittaker era was just very dull at the end of the day. I would struggle to name any episode I consider great. Think the Timeless Child stuff is rubbish honestly and would be happy for that reveal to be quietly forgotten like the Doctor’s half human side.

4 Likes

The Timeless Child will be forgotten eventually. Just like the Other, Looms and Lungbarrow.

5 Likes

I haven’t watched since series 11 (I’ll have to catch up) but I thought they did their historical episodes fairly well (though I still don’t know why that one alien in “Rosa” was inexplicably racist).

Like I said, I’ll have to catch up, so I could be wrong, but I thought someone said she was going for 2 and 11? I definitely agree about Tennant casting a long shadow; I feel like (Tom) Baker did the same in the classic era.

Unpopular opinion: Capaldi is my favorite. I definitely agree that the episodes were poorly written, or, more accurately, interesting concepts (except for those effing trees) that fell apart by end and/or wrote itself into a corner they couldn’t find a way out of. However, just his sheer gravitas and hard carrying most episodes elevated him for me.

He actually has three distinct personalities depending on whether you’re watching series 8, 9, or 10 (and what length his hair is) because, much like Jenna Coleman debating when to step aside as companion, they couldn’t decide or settle on one.

Anyway, I’m oddly interested in seeing what comes next. I hope they embrace the chaos inherent to the show’s particular “wibbly wobbly timey wimey” style and it seems like they might. The show seems in good hands, or, at least, better hands than it’s been in recently (though that’s potentially a different set of problems).

I’ll be back with a more informed take on the Chibnall/Whittaker era when the family and I have caught up (whenever that ends up being; hopefully soon).

3 Likes

Ok wow. I can’t believe they’re actually doing it, but okay

Oookay wow, now I’ve gotta tune in for that. They were a great pair.

WHAT

Now this I’ve gotta see

4 Likes

Rosa and Demons of the Punjab definetly seemed like stabs to do some more serious historical outings. But after that they went back to more standard historical affairs. Although I do like the Series 12 episode with Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison. When I talk about Chibnall, I do mean the episodes he wrote, which he did a good half of them of the run, whereas those episodes were done by guest writers.

The bad guy in Rosa isn’t an alien, he’s a White Human from the far future who is a racist mass serial killer, who decides to try and foil the Civil Rights Movement by trying to alter the events of Rosa Park protesting on the bus.

Don’t see anything of the Second Doctor in her personally, and I’m pretty sure Jodie Whittaker has said she didn’t watch much Doctor Who atall before taking over the role, encouragement from Chris Chibnall himself. When I say from Tennant I mean mannerisms like the constant fast, stream of consciousness dialogue, combined with often “wacky” dialogue and the Doctor having “weird” observations that get tiring. For the first female Doctor, I’d say they otherwise played it very safe with her.

5 Likes

ooh I feel like this is gonna be some delicious casting

3 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh…! I’ll have to watch again because that was not clear at all the first time. I liked the episode and understanding that would probably elevate it.

I think that was a combination of not wanting to offend the sexists (who were already offended by the mere announcement) and, more importantly, the unfortunate reality of women having limited opportunities to exert authority in historical settings. The latter resulted in a very passive doctor in the historical episodes I’ve seen because the men (in particular) in that setting would be disinclined to follow the advice of any woman (other than perhaps their wives), let alone a strange one from out of nowhere. Im sure it could be handled better for the second female doctor and, hopefully, they’ll be less afraid to take risks and confront that head on.

House of the Dragon wrapped up its first season this week and all I have to say is that there’s a reason adults shouldn’t mess with WMDs, never mind children.

Actually, I do have a little more to say. This has been one of the most visually appealing shows I’ve ever had the joy to watch and Djawadi never disappoints musically (even if the work itself is disappointing, like Eternals). I want to give particular shout outs to Paddy Considine, Matt Smith, Emma D’Arcy, and Ewan Mitchell but the acting has been stellar across the board, through all iterations of the cast.

It’s not perfect but few things are. Most of the changes for the source material worked but some may not have and you get the inherent challenges that come from transiting one medium to another. However, I think the show benefited heavily from George R. R. Martin’s involvement (though I would appreciate him getting on writing and finishing the, I believe, four separate series and sub series he has ongoing in this universe. I think it’s funny in a sad way seeing commentary from people and publications who clearly have never read the book complain about pacing and time skips and seeing commentary from those who have read it but always seem to fundamentally (and, in some cases, apparently willfully) misunderstand its speculative and biased nature. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: modern audiences are smart, just ask them, they’ll tell you.

Anyway, it feels good to be ASOIAF fan again after the way GOT ended but I don’t want to wait two years for more…

Especially after hauntingly beautiful scenes like this:

A perfectly justified heel turn coughDanycough

How can they make us wait after that?

3 Likes

I never read the book that the series is based on (Fire and Blood) but I do have the earlier book “The World of Ice and Fire”. It’s a massive book with beautiful illustrations that covers all of the high points of the Dance of the Dragons. I don’t remember buying this thing but the price tag on the back says it cost $50.00 new. It’s really a very nice book with just enough story-detail so that I know what the rough story of the show will be but not necessarily all the minutiae.

2 Likes

I have and read both (even having to get a second copy of the illustrated version because I don’t know what happened to the first one I had). The illustrated one is beautiful but the other is more detailed. I just think it’s funny some people complain about some of the characterizations or depictions of events (and even claim to know how it should have happened) when “Fire and Blood” is told secondhand and is rife with speculation and bias.

Side note: he’s coming out with what appears to be a merger of sorts of the two books. Hopefully it’s more than just “Fire and Blood with more and prettier pictures” but I’m intrigued regardless.

3 Likes

Well well well… Disney Plus is going to be the international (ie Not UK) home of Doctor Who now!

Gatwa announced the move this morning on Live With Kelly And Ryan. BBC will remain the Doctor Who’s home in its native UK and Ireland, with Disney+ attaining the rights to stream everywhere else.

squeals

I wonder if this means just the new stuff going forward, or all the stuff from New Who 2005 onwards? (Or even vintage stuff? Who knows)

5 Likes

Then why work on anything related to something that you don’t like :thinking:

DeMayo, who’s serving as head writer on an animated X-Men project that’s set to debut in 2023, told The Direct that he was careful to ensure that only X-Men fans were hired for the writing team because of bad experiences he’d had with non-fans on other shows—one in particular.

Get this man to make a Hitman TV show / movie!

7 Likes

Probably just in it for the paycheck.

3 Likes