TV Show Discussion Thread

Not exactly surprising, but Neil Gaiman has officially confirmed that Delirium will be in season 2 of The Sandman. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No word yet on who will play her. (Reddit seems to have gotten the idea that they should cast a bunch of different girls and just keep randomly swapping between them and now I’m going to be disappointed when they don’t do that. :laughing:)

This had better mean they’re adapting “Three Septembers and a January”. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

I am not! But that’s neat!

Chickenman (radio series) - Wikipedia

There’s also apparently this, mentioned as an alternate result on Wikipedia at the end of the page: Super Chicken.
Hadn’t heard of this before either, but this is a neat little animated series of shorts from the George Of The Jungle animated series.

Super Chicken - Wikipedia

3 Likes

I finished up Pantheon, an absolutely fantastic hour-long animated drama on AMC that isn’t getting the attention it deserves. It’s a sci-fi thriller very much in the vein of William Gibson and Ghost in the Shell.

Maddie is a teenager grieving her father who starts getting mysterious texts from an unknown source. Caspian is a brilliant young hacker whose family is not at all what he thinks it is. Chanda is a computer scientist whose employer expects unthinkable sacrifice.

It’s smart, thoughtful, philosophical–ruminating on consciousness and mortality–and just the tiniest bit :pinching_hand: pretentious in places, but grounded in great characters and a (mostly) sober, old-school 2D animation style.

Highly recommended. :+1: (Though my understanding is that it isn’t officially available in a lot of the world. :frowning:)

5 Likes

Sebastian Maniscalco has a new special on Netflix. I was hoping it was the one he filmed in Chicago last year, but that isn’t out yet. This one was filmed prior to that in vegas. It’s pretty funny, but it’s not his best. I still can’t wait for the next one.

Finally finished the possibly-cancelled series Mortel on Netflix.

Bit of a primer

I saw the first season a couple years ago, enjoyed it, saw the second season release, but never got around to it.
Recently though I rewatched Season 1, so I could remember the context for Season 2, and now that’s done!

It’s an enjoyable French supernatural drama/mystery series.

The first season is about two social outcasts – Sofiane and Victor – who begrudgingly team-up to find Sofiane’s missing brother, and with the help from a dark, wandering god called Obé, get superpowers to help them on their quest. Meanwhile, the town itself falls prey to an increasing trend of Voodoo rituals.

trailer that for some reason no official Netflix channel has
https://youtu.be/FjZdbLhfFvw

The show is good, with a captivating mystery that unfolds and some teen romance and drama that develops in the series.

What impressed me the most is the main actor Carl Malapa who plays Sofiane. He’s the trouble-making delinquent of the school who doesn’t take shit from anyone. But you can tell he’s got a softer, more empathetic side underneath, that he knows he can do better with his life, so I really enjoyed his performance the most. (They also play into it further in Season 2 which I liked)

The music is also a highlight of this show. The soundtrack is full of french (and a little english) rap, hip-hop, and techno songs. They’re always pretty groovy tunes, and usually bookend episodes on cliffhangers nicely. Compilation of a few S2 songs

If I have any issues, it’s
that the writing of Season 1 kind of went back on itself quite a lot, and the main teens keep making the obviously stupid decision of trusting this clearly evil, manipulative god Obé, even after Obé keeps screwing them in different ways.
It even bleeds into Season 2 a bit, with the main conflict happening because of a spell Sofiane “learned from Obé”, but after that the conflict between them finally solidifies.

Season 2 goes further into characters’ backstories and has a particularly dark one involving Victor. The chemistry between the main 3 teens also keep getting better.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to find any confirmation (or cancellation?) of a season 3, so that would be unfortunate. Especially since they clearly set-up something to happen next.

1 Like

Because it’s not the current golden child (Stranger Things atm), its successor (likely Wednesday) or the mini/limited series of the month and Netflix‘s advertising department is not capable or funded enough to deal with more than that.

(Also, I was trying to find some info too and it apparently took a year off between seasons (like many European shows) so, while nothing is confirmed either way, it would appear on schedule. The bad news is that it shows cool so I might have to check it out and that usually gets shows cancelled when I start watching while they’re in progress; sorry in advance but at least you’ll know for sure.)

1 Like

Finally finished Dead End: Paranormal Park Season 2. Unfortunately this season didn’t really captivate me as much as the first, and I’m sad it took me a lot longer to get through it.
I still really like the show and hope it continues. The rep of diversity is fantastic.

I think I didn’t quite enjoy it because this season focuses way more on an overarching plot involving Pugsley’s new angel-power-training, whereas the first season was a lot more episodic, about the Park itself + Pauline’s disappearance, and had way more character relationships/friendships develop.

Season 1 also had a lot more memorable episodes that had fun with well-known magic tropes and genre-bending.
It had:

• a horror-based “I’m an adult and even I’m scared” episode
  • an obligatory body-swap episode
  • a trip-to-hell episode
  • a genre-swapping “sucked into the TV” episode
  • a musical episode
  • as well as some great episodes focusing on Norma’s social anxiety fears and Barney’s family acceptance struggles.

Season 2 had:

• a clone/evil double episode
  • a wrestling-focused episode
  • a time-travel/time-loop episode
    And that’s kinda it that stuck out to me or was particularly memorable.

I wish they’d kept some focus on Barney and Norma’s friendship to develop and bounce off each other. They were mostly focused on chasing romances, and even then Barney and Logs’ mostly stayed the same, but at least Norma had a cool arc where she had to overcome staying good friends with a crush.

The last two episodes are where the plot finally comes to a head and the ending is absolutely heartbreaking. Pretty dark to kill off the fun, cute dog and get an really emotional crying performance from Zach Barack (Barney) to put into a kids’ show.
Hopefully Season 3 is a bit more episodic and lets the Park be the central mystery and cause of malicious events in the show.

3 Likes

Felt very nostalgic for WandaVision today.

It may have been flawed – especially with the rushed, formulaic Marvel writing at the climax due to Covid rewrites – but there’s so many unique details about the show and how it presents itself that’s so cool to see come out of Marvel Studios. It’s half genuine sitcom recreation, half mystery-thriller.

The main title has like a triple-meaning which I adore.
(It’s about Wanda and Vision obviously. But a play on words for Television. Also, a dream-like “Vision” of what Wanda wishes life was like.)

The main theme’s leitmotif having so much significance and meaning in how it’s constructed is impressive, I almost think it’s a coincidence. And it being used so much in each unique theme song is great.
(Just the fact that the “Wanda” notes always surround “Vision” by a very wide margin is wild.)
(And I love that WV-2000 perfectly recreates the beat of the Office theme song, but only using the WV motif. Perfectly.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIS8P6plRvM

The commercials in each episode are also great recreations of what could be real products and styles from those eras. Plus, the slight uneasiness of how they relate to her trauma adds the perfect amount of depth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXluLQh8ZpA

And the story itself was a really heartbreaking story of grief wrapped up in a mystery, that used different genres of storytelling to achieve that – I just think that’s neat. :white_heart:

1 Like

I liked it. Everyone else in my house was sorta “meh” on it, but I watched it all the way through several times.

3 Likes

Recently finished:

The Office

That was comedy at its peak. The cast choice just could not have been better, I just can’t imagine Bob Odenkirk or any other pal in Steve Carell’s shoes for Agent Michael Scarn. Rainn Wilson as well, just imagine him not being Dwight.

Loved the diversity they put into the characteristics with the main having vastly varied colors, nationalities, iq levels, sizes, definitions of right and wrong, etc etc.

It lost its soul after season 7 though.

I have to re-watch it to connect the dots. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure out the fuck happened in the last 30 minutes.

2 Likes

I didn’t know people remembered marvel tv shows fondly .i only remember making the best analogy of my life after the show went down hill after ep 4

2 Likes

There’s bits and bobs they really nail which I like, but most of the shows so far have had at least one shaky thing that keeps it from being super great overall. :frowning:

My top two are still Moon Knight and Loki. The former because of Oscar Isaac’s acting, the twisty psychological story, and the epic egyptian gods story. The latter because of the great sci-fi time travel elements, Episode 6 being a climax where people talk instead of fight, and I kinda liked L+S’s relationship.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed watching most of the shows, but I’m also not bogged down by lore. I have no idea whether the characters are true to the comics or not (and don’t care) so I can just like them for what they are without comparing to something else. I don’t know if anyone here does that, but I usually read stuff like that in reviews of those shows.

3 Likes

I want to bring an issue I’ve experienced with multiple TV Shows that I’m kinda sick of: Making a 2nd season to a show that has no need in a 2nd season.

You know what I mean, shows that sum themselves up entirely in a single, incredible season, but the company that worked on it sees the money and decide to go all the way for more seasons, 2 examples I got are (Not gonna sum up the shows but gonna mention spoilers):

End of The Fucking World: Yes, they both got caught, he supposedly died, she got back to her “normal” life, every aspect of the show was closed, so, why did we needed a 2nd season? It was still incredible, but it felt stretched and forced, and obviously no one could say otherwise, it was heavily stretched, tried to find excuses to continue itself, at least it ended after a 2nd season

One of Us Is Lying Not only that we got a solid but completely pointless 2nd season, for some reason, there will be a 3rd, who tf needs a 3rd season of this show? Fuck that, who the hell needed a 2nd? This show was wonderful in it’s first season, having 4 characters that each one is the possible killer and we are encouraged to figure out who the killer is, in the 2nd season it’s just these characters trying to figure out who is going after them, so pointless, so why is there a 3rd season? Such a waste

3 Likes

Loki had some good moments, but the worst throughline of any show

And moon knight was a bit safe and predictable for a moon knight story

2 Likes

Totally agree! In the modern era the day that season 1 drops (if it’s a batch drop) there’s already an article somewhere titled “Will there be a second season?” There may not need to be! We don’t need to live in every TV universe forever. Sometimes it’s OK for stories to end.

1 Like

Both shows I mentioned had really good 2nd seasons, but both 2nd seasons were forced and felt really stretched.

The unique element that the 1st season of “One of Us Is Lying” was only in the first season of the show, so any season after that is just a basic teenage highschool drama tv show, just written, acted and directed incredibley well, no one needed this, I won’t watch the third season, the second was a stretch, I don’t want a third.

1 Like

Though if there are too many lose ends I wish there would be a final movie that tries to fix it, like it was with Firefly.

2 Likes

Nah, there were no loose ends in lots of the shows, I mean, who needs a 2nd season of of Squid Game? They’ve been talking about that for a long time, first season was great but who wants a 2nd? Dude won the game, grandpa is apparently a behind the scenes, what’s the point of a 2nd season?

2 Likes

Seasons two through five (really Jim and Pam’s wedding in early six) are among my favorite comedy of all time! (I’ll never understand how it got renewed after the absolutely garbage season one though)

First, totally agree about The End of the Fucking World! I haven’t read it but the first season was based on a comic while the second was not. The second season was still good but I actually think it would have been fitting if they both actually got themselves killed in episode seven and would have elevated the whole season back to season one levels.

Second, having not read the original book One of Us Is Lying is based or watched the show (yet), I can’t say for certain whether a second season is/was strictly speaking necessary BUT I do know the book has a sequel so… maybe a third wouldn’t be required viewing? :man_shrugging:

Third, I’d also like to add 13 Reason Why to this. I actually did read the book this time and it seems like they intentionally set out to drag the story to two seasons. All well and good but Hannah haunting Clay was a bit of a sign that they didn’t necessarily have the meat for a full season of content. They did wrap up both the book’s story AND their own story, though, so why the actual fuck does the rest of the series exist? Specifically, Ani who may be the worst character of all time?

Am I inadvertently advocating for two seasons of content as long they resist the urge for three? :sweat_smile:

Based on some of the ideas floated around from the writer himself, no one. Also, it kind of ran out of steam as it wrapped up anyway and how the female lead went out remains one of the stupidest and most contrived things I’ve ever watched.

4 Likes