TV Show Discussion Thread

I really hope that it doesn’t happen to Good Omens but looking on the bright side, it’s still the same people including a co-creator of the original book.

5 Likes

I just finished the 2nd Season of Alice in Borderland, I’m amazed, episode 8 is hands down the greatest last episode of a season/show I have ever seen, 1hr and 20mins of complete insanity, to whoever that wonders if this show is good, if you liked Squid Games then you’ll love this one alot more, milestones better

3 Likes

Noooooo :sob: :sob:

Stupid tax write-offs. The thing that really hurts is that the second season is already completed. Now it’ll likely never see the light of day.

2 Likes

The anime Way of the HouseHusband just released its second season on Netflix, and it’s still so good. Too good.

I can’t watch this in public I’ll be giggling too much. :rofl:

It’s about an ex-Yakuza Boss who has turned into a stay-at-home husband, doing cleaning, shopping, cooking, helping the neighbourhood council.
And everything he does is with the frightening intensity of a real mob boss, played entirely straight.

People’s reactions to his scary, scarred face, his slang for “the dough / the ‘powder’ (baking powder/flour)”, his gruff, deep voice… it’s hilarious to me. English dub cast is pretty solid, and I can hear English swears every now and then! That’s unique.
The animation is a lot like moving manga panels, but the snappy, frame-by-frame animation is especially effective when they jump-cut and break out the ominous music, or scary sound effects, over the most mundane task or question he’s asking.

2 Likes

Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency is one of the weirdest, most fascinating mystery shows I’ve ever seen.

The show’s main hook is Elijah Wood as Todd, a very ordinary guy who meets this extremely unordinary detective who takes him under his wing (and gets tied up in a complex web of strange events and people)

Dirk Gently is this eccentric detective, very british, and who only solves cases through coincidence.

The very first episode is very strange, in that it seemingly features a lot of disconnected events and characters, plenty of strange occurences, but as the show progresses, you start to see more and more links between them – almost by coincidence…

It’s also a very surrealist, absurdist show. No one is normal. No one. There’s Dirk’s weirldly large web of acquaintances, a street gang called the Rowdy 3 (but are actually 4), a military general and his inept protégé who always does the complete opposite of what he’s told… and plenty other weird stuff I don’t have time to get into.
(It’s also surprisingly gory/bloody in some occasions, which surprised me, I just expected zanyness)

But overall, I’m just 4 episodes in right now and it’s super enjoyable. Elijah’s Todd is a great anchor for the show. Samuel Barnett’s energy as Dirk is superb. The small ways many events interconnect little by little is cool, and I’m really enjoying this absurd sci-fi, soul-swapping, soul-sucking, kidnapping, assassinating, secretive mystery.

I keep exclaiming “What?!” but in a good way. There’s just so many layers and weird twists in this show.

3 Likes

If you haven’t already, and I’m sure this suggestion is tiring but I’m making it regardless, read the book. It’s worth it.

4 Likes

And the sequel, just for the title alone: “The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul”. Both books and the show are great.

3 Likes

Its by Dougle Adams the guy who did Hitchiker’s Guide right? I guess weirdness like that is to be expected.

I wonder how the book reads, because I feel like everything I’ve seen so far in the show would be hard to convey in an easy digestible way on paper.

4 Likes

It’s a shame how overshadowed those were compared to the Hitchhiker’s guide “trilogy”. The book reads a lot like how the Hitchhiker’s guide reads - ridiculous English sentences that somehow make sense even though they shouldn’t.

4 Likes

I’m really intrigued now

1 Like

I haven’t read the Dirk Gently books, so can’t comment on them specifically. But I will say I think the five Hitchhiker books (the first two starting off as BBC audio plays) are very good at conveying complex, weird, funny, but also surprisingly logical sci-fi concepts. One I remember from one of the books is an office building where all the elevators are fitted with AI that can see 30 seconds in the future, just so that they can always go to the correct floors for passengers rather than have them wait. Absurd technology to save seconds of time, logical yet absurd.

Also as a Who fan, I have to mention that Adams worked on Doctor Who for a bit. He wrote 3 stories, The Pirate Planet, City of Death, and Shada. Shada never got completed and aired despite the fact they filmed like 70% of it, there have been several projects to try and complete it, I imagine a big factor due to the fact that Adams has such a high reputation.

3 Likes

Adams was great at subverting the way that language is normally used. There’s a line in the first Hitchhiker book that goes something like:

The ships hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don’t.

That sentence makes complete sense, but it doesn’t. It tells you exactly how the ships were floating, yet tells you nothing too.

5 Likes

NO GOD PLEASE NO

Screenshot 2023-01-13 120540

Part of me knew this show wasn’t going to be popular enough to go on for very long, but another major part really thought this show had another chance at a renewal…
Fuckin Netflix oh my god this makes me so mad uuurghhh

EDIT: Ahhhhhhh :sob: :sob:

5 Likes

I feel you @TheChicken.

Inside Job was confirmed for a season 2 last year.
And then Netflix walked back, and cancelled it last week. Leaving the recent season 1 finale with its downer / cliffhanger ending.

I don’t even care anymore about anything Netflix produces, they don’t care about producing full stories, so I follow suit.

4 Likes

Something that’s been on my mind lately is that I am so fucking glad that the Series of Unfortunate Events show was made and completed a couple of years ago, as I am SURE it would not have made it to its third and final season had it been ongoing today.

Yeah Inside Job ending is also really annoying. (I haven’t finished the second part yet but) it’s a dang good adult show.
Sometimes it gets too caught up in the “vulgar words and sex jokes are FUNNY” trap that so many “adult” cartoons do, but there’s loads of heart behind Reagan’s relationship with her father and some very funny parody of real life.

actually I saw this recently and it is atrociously accurate

4 Likes

Gonna have to gather my thoughts… but wow…

THEY NAILED IT

The Last of Us is going to be GREAT. I’m sure of it!

They definitely cheated by picking an already cinematic game, but damn, its so faithful, and they expanded it with new scenes, exposition, and context to so much from the game

4 Likes

I was just about to pop in to say the same exact thing! There were some basically scene for scene recreations, some new scenes that add to the experience and the performances were crazy. I’m super glad Netflix didn’t get their grimy hands anywhere near it; I’m so excited for the upcoming eight weeks!

(Also, every time a character was hurrying Joel along I was reminded of how I play the games. “Hold on, I’m looting.”)

4 Likes

I better see Joel make a weapon with scissors otherwise I’ll lose all faith in this show :joy:

Also where I watched it, there was a sort of “Next Time On” for the coming weeks after the episode… That last shot: Joel, with an assault rifle, in what looks like a Hospital?? They’re really showing a clip from THAT far?!

4 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

On that note, I was just telling my brother I wanted to hear the getting spotted sound effect, just once, when I think I heard a version of it when Joel, Ellie and Tess got caught outside the wall.

2 Likes

Why wait 8 weeks when you can play the interactive version right now?

3 Likes