Unpopular opinions about Hitman

There should be more “total chaos and hilarity” videos of hitman runs and “SONKO” and Speedrun versions really. The community glorifies the perfect, ideal runs that are 9 seconds long and suit only, but the chaotic ones where everything just goes to hell are the more fun ones…

It’s generally true that watching someone do something you couldn’t do is quiet impressive and entertaining. That’s why speedruns are often appreciated by the community. The level of skill on display almost demands respect. Other equally creative runs can be as impressive (my go to example would be Urben’s ET kills). But runs that are “chaotic” or try to be funny often don’t spark that same level of awe in people, because they could probably do that themselves in-game. So that’s why they tend to be less appreciated (unless you’re a giant like BigMooney or someone). All my opinion of course :wink:

Personally I’m not too bothered about speedruns, but obviously there are some truly phenomenal ones from people like HITMANIST. I tend to more like themed runs or ones with specific interesting new restrictions

One that’s been stuck in my head for ages is Freezer’s snowball run, it’s just such a fun concept

2 Likes

I suppose I should clarify that the speedruns and the perfect runs (not necessarily the same thing either!) are usually very fun to watch, but the chaotic ones can be very fun too.

OutsideXbox does their 3 ways to play videos. While watching Andy’s 5-star SA runs is great and he does a pretty good job of talking his way through it, Mike’s explosion-filled runs where he has more non-target kills than anything else is a hilariously good time.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of playing by taking advantage of the AI’s limitations or weird issues. By that, I mean the whole thing where you shoot guards in a knee to knock them down so you can run past unspotted, being able to remove enforcer status so you can run right by, or general things that can be construed as bug abuse. If I play SO, I’d rather not use any of those tactics. Just feels a bit cheesy for me to do it, especially as I’m not into speedrunning

I’m not saying it’s wrong or anything; the best thing about Hitman is that people can play how they want. My personal opinion just hates playing like that. I happily watch videos of others doing it though

2 Likes

If there was a TV based of Hitman, I personally wouldn’t want David Bateson to play Agent 47. Don’t get me wrong, I have a fuckton of respect for this guy and he is one of my fav voice actors. But I feel like he is… well, old for never-aging 47.
But I would want Bateson to do voice-over. I don’t think anyone can match original voice.

3 Likes

Hitman animated series so we can have Bateson do the voice forever (or as long as he wants to, I’m not forcing him)

14 Likes

this seems like a suspiciously specific denial… :eyes:

2 Likes

Hitman TV shouldn’t have 47 talk in it at all :wink: He’d just be a background character

1 Like

I posted that idea once too in the old forum, every episode is just a portrait of the target with 47 very often being in the background and suddenly the target is reported dead. And if you rewatch the episode you can conclude how he was killed by what the weirdo in the background was doing.

You could make the concept vary a bit to keep it interesting like by not making obvious who the target is.

2 Likes

Aha, it was you! Well, well done, I’ve had that idea rattling around in my brain ever since :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Even just made a thread because of it

1 Like

I feel like that’d be a bad idea… preferrably, 47 would be shown much less than the targets, but the audience should at least have a weak grasp on what he’s doing in the first watch. Showing very few moments of him preparating everything until he eventually gets the kill, and like you said, making everything more clear as you pay more attention. Just having him in the background would feel even more like a tease.
In a show solely focused on the targets, regardless of their intentions (whether they’re bad or good), the audience will obviously feel more attached and interested to them, and after some time, the audience won’t want to see 47 killing them, since they don’t really care about him. Instead, they’ll want to know more about the targets, since after all, 47 has no development and is just a shadowy figure that kills people.
If both are shown in the same episode, the audience can get invested in 47’s character (without making him too much of a talker, this is 47 after all) and the targets as well, making the kill more satisfactory as a conclusion to the targets’ story and as something that moves 47’s and the ICA’s story.
Of course, all of this applies if the show in question has a larger story… if it’s just a bunch of hits, then that’s another story.

1 Like

Yeah I fear the concept is a bit too focused on diehard fans and all others will just drop the series. :joy:

But wouldn’t that make it even better? If a media that is about killing is not glorifying killing? 47 is no hero after all. It would be more like a crime series where you think the killer is the badie, not the target. Though here I would not keep the target have a white vest and make it more like a “charismatic gangster” type. Like mafia movies where the family is glorified but you get why they die or get jailed anyway.

1 Like

i had the exact same idea!

The thing is, the games themselves somewhat “glorify” killing… With all of the different opportunities the game gives you, you’re as interested in the targets as the methods you choose to kill them. If it was a different franchise it’d make sense, but it doesn’t really work with Hitman, especially due to the WOA trilogy having so many options. If the series wants to remain true to the spirit of the games, the kills would have to be “enjoyable”. Otherwise, it wouldn’t feel like Hitman at all.

That also seems to be another problem to me. It’s great to want stories that show things as gray (pun not intended) instead of just black and white, but at the same time, if you make the targets too charismatic, the general audiences will just get tired of seeing a new character in each episode, get to know them, get invested in who they are, and then have them die. It would just get boring, and you wouldn’t want to feel interested in them since they’re just going to die and you know it, so why should anyone care?
That’s why I’m talking about developing both the targets and 47. Of course, I don’t want the writers to go overboard, but at least show some… I don’t know, personality. Like him looking around his surroundings constantly, focusing on certain objects that could help him out. Or him interacting with others, showing his lack of social skills. Having a recurring main character, even if shown very sparingly and not making him the most developed, “human” character ever, goes a long way in making the audience motivated to see another episode just to know more about him, how he thinks, and how he acts. If you kill your main character every episode, you get tired of the process and you feel like you never get to know them enough to the point where it’s frustrating.

I prefer your version of the idea just because of the concept of “the cop who knows who 47 is”. It opens up a lot of possibilities, having a character who knows the truth but lacks the proof that others want from him, even though the audience is well aware that he’s in the right. Perhaps he could interact with 47 in a subdued way in a tense moment where they just happen to cross ways. Plus, the audience would be rooting for him to finally prove to everyone that 47 is responsible, but that could leave the targets with less screen time, so… it’d be hard to pull off.

1 Like

How about this, my idea is more the setting of the first episodes and 47 is getting more and more the protagonist in the next episodes? Then there is variation, progress, a larger arc (if we learn more of his intel) and we appreciate his work more. We could also do that with other target characters who are just like 47 in the background at first but become more popular later on.

So the audience is lured into 47’s mindset? How meta! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That sounds basically perfect. It’d be great to see how this shadowy figure in the background is shown more and more, building up the scene where you can see him in full and how he does his job in detail. And with “other target characters”, you mean something like recurring villians shown far from the hits or characters like Agent Smith? Because either way, it sounds really interesting. Honestly, I couldn’t see a Hitman series done better than your idea.

I didn’t think that while I was writing my post, but… basically, yeah. Although it could be hard to pull off, if done right, it would be something amazing to see, because it’s not something that you see everyday in big Hollywood movies or TV shows. Plus, it just makes the series stand out more among the rest (even though if it turns out like our ideas, it would already stand out a lot :stuck_out_tongue: ).

1 Like

More like the Constant who might deal more directly with the previous targets but we pretty soon get the idea they are part of the larger plot and might end up being a target. Or an agent Smith who is actually a good guy. Who knows?

I would have given your post a heart but I ran out of them (god damn it). But yeah, I think it’d safer if it was handled as a Constant-like character. It would also be interesting to have an Agent Smith-like character too, but I’m not sure if it could be executed as well as the more traditional “part of the larger plot” character. It’d be taking more of a risk and it would be pretty different from the Hitman stories that we’ve had for years at this point, but it would be a nice change of pace.

1 Like