Unpopular opinions about Hitman

that is hardcore, but id also really love that for some reason. maybe that shouldve been the restriction mastermode had instead of only one save

6 Likes

Yeah, your way works, too. Reading the comments here over the years, it seems like most people want higher gameplay difficulty without save restrictions. I usually play professional, so it’s not like I am begging to be punished. I just think that requiring a flawless run was a series staple that should"ve been kept, at least at master difficulty.

2 Likes

I feel like this is an unpopular opinion since I think I’ve seen more people ask for challenge packs back instead of going against it.
Also posting this here since I think the awards thread is full of non-awards talk already heh

Big agree with this comment.
The new “unlock item” challenges are short and easy, but I like it because of that.

The old challenge packs for 2016 or Hitman 2 I think were very specific or lengthy and not that fun to do naturally. Mostly just looked up a specific contracts mode mission that fulfilled it.

7 Likes

The amount of pickups around each level is way too high and totally unnecessary. Some levels are really overwelding just by the amount of useless stuff you can pick up around every corner. Maybe this is where I’m starting to miss the simplicity of the earlier days of Hitman (see: the classics) where one interaction took you one specific item that was at a specific spot on the map. Items like the fish, frying pan, apples, iron, meaty bone or even a brick are all useless filler for the level since most of them do the same thing as a hammer for ex.

The levels feel littered with reskinned items or a unnecessary big amount of the same usefull item. That is my unpopular opinion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How many reports of game crashes or no loading need to happen before people decide to ditch PC and play Hitman on consoles like real gamers? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry, but the last console I owned was an Atari 2600.

2 Likes

Fake gamer. Everybody knows real gamers drag the cabinets right out of the arcade back to their house.

3 Likes

Well apparently it’s unpopular to want Diana and 47 to be canonically together. :woman_shrugging:

I’ll just be over here listening to Champions of the Wild Side, thinking about how those floor to ceiling windows will let them have their Moment in the Sun

5 Likes

Apologies for diverting off-topic, but my quest to find and buy a ‘clean’, full-length copy of the Mindy Jones-vocals version of Champions Of The Wild Side sadly failed. I would buy that song in a heartbeat if it was sold anywhere. :cry:

3 Likes

You are damn right.

17 Likes

I would like to formally rescind this ‘unpopular opinion’ on the basis of the following arguments:

20 Likes

Paris is a shitty map and I do not enjoy it at all.

(Holiday Hoarders is fine tho, I just despise The Showstopper)

How it can be so? :slight_smile:

I suppose you just don’t like the mission, not the map then

2 Likes

Escalations and Features Contracts are a waste of game space and IO’s time and resources (Mills Reverie, Dartmoor Garden Show, and the 7 Deadly Sins being notable exceptions), and locking content behind them in order to get people to play them is not a welcome decision.

What is “game space”?

1 Like

Wasn’t sure of the correct term, but essentially, what I’m referring to is on the screen when you select a particular location and it shows the name of the missions available at that location, then all the escalations available there. Why all those escalations there? You don’t need all those escalations taking up that screen. Fill that with actual missions. Maybe one escalation per location, and that’s it. The Featured Contracts, screens and screens of them as you have to keep pressing that arrow at the end of a given screen to go to the next batch in the list. Why so many for item unlocks? Don’t need ‘em. Let folks just make regular contracts and unlock their gear by completing regular gameplay challenges. Assuming that’s how it works, I confess to a certain level of ignorance in this era.

So many FCs and escalations inside this game, and could have been used for other things. And not even necessarily that their bad in-and-of themselves, just that there are soooo many. A waste. One of the things that was meant to sound impressive about H3 was that IO was able to squeeze H1 and H2 inside it while only using so many gigabytes, and it’s like, wouldn’t have been quite as much data to stuff in if there were far fewer escalations.

That’s what I mean by “game space,” again not knowing the proper term that in trying to get across.

1 Like

Ah I see. I think too that the menu is not really well designed. The horizontal scrolling is a nice touch for the mission tab but it does not work out well for other places.

Regarding the disk space of contracts/escalations, they take no space at all. They are loaded from the server when you access them. :wink:

I think 50GB is still very impressive for all maps with so many voice lines under the hood. Maybe you compare it to much less complex games to make it not impressive to you. :thinking:

7 Likes

Ok, so then they take up too much space in the server. Not suggesting that they cause a problem, just that the fact that so much of the content of the game that is announced each month is escalations and Featured Contracts, throughout the whole trilogy’s lifecycle, it’s padding out a gimmick that stopped being interesting after the first few in the first game, those few exceptions I mentioned aside. I personally think, and admit I could be wrong, that the game could have gone through its lifecycle faster, we could have gotten the story content sooner, and perhaps more of it, without the time being used on more and more escalations and FCs. And again, I probably wouldn’t even have had a problem with that, if content and challenge completions weren’t locked behind them. I’d leave them ignored otherwise and wouldn’t care, but now I have to do a lot of them to get items and full challenge completions. It’s irritating.

If it comforts you, FC are basically a zero cost thing. Clemens sits down for a day or two to check the submissions and then sends the picks to someone else who likely justs uploads them somewhere. If at all someone else has to cut the pictures or has to take new ones.

Escalations surely are much more than zero, but also much less than the content you desire.

I guess you just wanted to post something here and don’t want to many arguments thrown on you about it, just so much:
Game dev is not a pot with the two ingredients of time and money. There are many jobs to do, and when the design of something is done and other devs start to model or implement these designs, the designers want to be kept busy too. Why not let them design enviromental changes for stuff like the deadly sins?

And then, when the implementing work is stopped because the company that delivers voice lines has trouble because of covid, what should the devs do? Wait or implement the mechanics for the 7DS? :wink:

Some like contracts and/or escalations. To reward these players, there are unlocks for them. If it is really that annoying for you, maybe consider to not do them despite missing unlocks? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I can’t; I’m a completionist. It’s practically OCD for me.

2 Likes