Unpopular opinions about Hitman

If you are gong to insert your own narrative into my opinion, then I don’t see this as a worthwhile discussion. It’s not in anyway what I have been suggesting or saying. If you want to discuss this in a civil manner and not in this passive aggressive tone you got going on, then we can do so.

I’m strictly speaking about an approach that I think could fit a silver screen version that doesn’t fall into the same pitfalls as the two previous films. I’m in no way talking about 47 or his development in the video game series. If you knew anything about my opinions regarding 47 and his development as a character and which games I praise for pushing his character forward. You would not so carelessly insert agendas into my opinions.

There is a lot more to the character of 47 then the emotionless T-800 he’s portrayed as in Blood Money. But we have already seen two films that centers around 47 and his journey. Personally I believe that a film from the point of view a character who is hunting 47 is a lot more interesting. Keeping 47 more mysterious, leaning more about 47 through the one hunting him. I’m not in anyway suggesting that he will play the role of the boogeyman.

If we where to follow 47 as a character and learn more about him. A TV show would be a much better fit, especially when characters in film has much less screen time compared to TV.

2 Likes

To this, bare in mind; 47 was not emotionless in BM, he was not a “terminator.” He was full of anger and bitterness and apprehension, which you can see anytime someone came to visit him or any time he interacted with Diana, and all of which can be explained being resentful that he was recently killed by being shot in Contracts due to having his guard down. It was a humbling moment, so he doubled down on his lack of trust.

2 Likes

To be honest, I don’t think this is actually presented in the game nor is it really built upon either. It’s an interesting way to view the game and 47’s “journey”. But there is really no pay off or real change in 47 character. I doubt that this was the intention of IO when creating the game and if it was they didn’t nail that aspect of the game. I can accept is as head canon as an explanation of his regress as a character in that title. But now we are discussing multiple things, both BM and what approach a film could take. It’s two wildly different discussions.

3 Likes

This is true. To be fair, unless they explored what was making 47 so angry and coldly bitter toward the end, a movie wouldn’t work very well playing off 47 as he appeared in BM, at least not as a first film. Perhaps a sequel. For a first film, assuming that they again don’t actually try to make it like the actual first game, it would be better served to go off of the 47 we see in Silent Assassin or Absolution.

1 Like

I think the problem with a more humane 47 in a film, is that there is very little time to develop 47 as character. Especially if we have to go from a closed off test tube baby suddenly thrown into the world. Come to grips with his place in the world. A tv show could much better balance a broader character development. Like the one we saw from C47 to H2SA. It would be much more rewarding.

Take Cassian Andor in Rogue One vs Andor. I love Rogue One, but when they announced a tv show with Andor I didn’t jump in my chair of excitement. I was a bit baffled that they would go with him, he wasn’t the most engaging character, he was interesting. But not really main character material. The TV show blindsided me, it’s easily the best Star Wars TV show, miles a head of the Mandalorian. It actually feels like a modern day TV. Well written, engaging and Andor is suddenly a lot more interesting, then his first appearance. Ultimately this has to do with tv having time to tell his story. Something a film can’t afford to do.

3 Likes

Sometimes I think Hitman has the same problem that Max Payne had: Why do you have to change the game so much? You could basically just film someone playing the mission and that would be 75% of an enjoyable movie to watch! Why not just re-create Paris, Miami and Isle de Sgail, add some scenes between those and call it a day?
Yes, we would already know whta’s coming. But why change what already perfectly works? I would watch and reccomend it.

5 Likes

I’m not saying this just because I’m his biggest fan, but I really think that a movie about Grey would work better than a movie about 47.

1 Like

Part of the reason I like the first hitman movie is bc they sorta split the story. Timothy Olophant as 47 is still the main character but a lot of time was spent telling the story of the Interpol agent played by Dougray Scott and that helped make the movie better.

Sorta like how you suggested 47 doesn’t need to be the main character just not full on. In the same style Killing Eve is about an assassin but the story more often follows the police officer chasing her.

3 Likes

I really like that analogy/comparison; I’ve always thought Villanelle was a more charismatic and flamboyant (and, obviously, female) 47 who could care less about SA. I do have a question, though. In this hypothetical split Hitman movie, the idea would be to have the character tracking him be the more interesting character and/or at least have the more interesting storyline, right? In Killing Eve, as much as it follows Eve, personally, I’m often far more interested in whatever Villanelle is up to. That said, based on the differences between our assassins stated above, I do think any writer/director up to it should be able to make the tracker character the more interesting of the two. THAT said, hear we are debating how to make a satisfying Hitman film, so… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

How about a Hitman film that focuses slightly more on Diana than 47, and is driven by the situations that require her to dispatch 47 after someone? Think of it kind of like a Godzilla movie; the human characters drive the plot that leads to the situation where it’s necessary to summon Godzilla. We could have a similar thing with Diana, where she’s given an assignment, but in the course of researching it, some kind of trouble comes up and she has to send 47 after people a few times, and the movie makes it a big deal whenever she contacts him, and then we switch to his perspective for a little while as he hunts the target, and once he takes them out, in as creative and discreet ways as possible for that extra cinematic flair (no shootouts, goddammit!), we then switch back to Diana’s side of the story and continue.

Since Diana got such short shrift in the previous two movies, I’d say that makes it fair. And while I don’t care if they decide to cast her as a non-Caucasian woman, let’s please, for the love of God, keep her British, and keep her in the early-to-mid forties age range.

4 Likes

Ideally, yes!

20 wishful thinkings

1 Like

Fuck it, I feel like I’ve been expressing this opinion over and over, not only in this forum, but on Reddit and Discord aswell:

I can’t get the point The massive grind to have every cosmetic in the game just for having every fucking skin of every and each item in the game, when it’s a grind in order to get an item that affects gameplay and it would benefit that you would have more than 1 of (like 3 tranqs, or 2 breachers) it’s justified because having the reskin has an actual point, but when I see players anywhere going like “Oh man why didn’t they unlocked that specific briefcase for everyone else to unlock” or “bruh, I really hope they release the exclusive Stadia cosmetics now because Stadia shuts down” it genuinely annoys me, why does everyone care that much? I got a signature suit that I like and always wear to missions (The Tropical Suit :heart_eyes:), the specific briefcase (The Toolbox) and everything else I just choose firstly by gameplay perspective and only then, if that item has multiple reskins, I choose the reskin randomaly, I seriously can’t get the point of having so many god damned reskins, if anything at this point this is a lil bit more uncomfortable because I have to scroll for so long to find the Tropical Suit, I can’t see the point of grinding and unlocking so many items when I know that I probably won’t use them, or anticipate a shitty ET that we’ve played a trillion times already on ETA just because I didn’t unlock the suit of it’s location.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, NO ONE SHOULD CARE ABOUT COSMETICS AS MUCH AS THEY CARE ABOUT, YOU WON’T EVEN USE EVERYTHING ON A CASUAL BASIS.

please don’t attack me for this, I can see the backlash for this, lol

Edit: this was an off the top rant, I know that this huge essay include lots of english and grammar mistakes, forgive me

4 Likes

I actually kind of like escalations?

For reasons not even known to myself, I’ve been going over every escalation available in Hitman 3 to get SA on each level. At first, I thought I would be needlessly torturing myself (and to an extent I am) but it’s actually been quite the learning experience. Unfortunately, a LOT of the early ones suffered from “kill this guy the exact same a thousand times while we add seemingly random complications that often don’t impact how you complete the mission in the slightest” BUT well put together ones (typically GOTY and from 2017-18 on) can teach you things you never even dreamed of if you care to listen. Yes, insta-fail has always been, and will always be, garbage but when complications actually affect strategy (as many of the more recent ones do) they have a lot of wisdom to impart about level mechanics and NPC behavior and how to bend those to the player’s will.

All that said, and I don’t know if escalations are very beginner or casual friendly and you can learn a lot of the same stuff just by experimenting or watching YouTube but it’s been an enlightening experience regardless. I’ve gained a new appreciation and deeper understanding of the mode and that’s far more than I could have asked for when I started this endeavor.

9 Likes

Maps are judged too harshly for how SASO-friendly they happen to be. Bangkok is a pretty average map imo and I feel like it gets dumpstered by people for this fact alone. Colorado at least has other problems with it.

I like and I do SASO runs too, but it’s a bit daft to arbitrarily restrict your approaches in a sandbox game and then complain that your approaches are so restricted? SASO runs might not even be explicitly designed for by the developers, given how much of a pain in the ass a target like Jordan Cross is. And I think it would be kind of cool if they didn’t and the playerbase just found a way.

10 Likes

I am one who hates the “suit only” play style. 47, as a character, uses disguises. It’s been part of his character since the very first game.

Having said that, if people want to restrict themselves to suit only, only using fiber wire, accident only, or whatever, that’s fine and they are always free to do so, but to then complain that it’s “hard” is ridiculous. Wasn’t that the whole point?

13 Likes

I’m with you two. There didn’t need to be a pre conceived SA/SO way to complete every level and by designing a way to do every map that way you really make it easier for non SO runs. The back drain pipe in Paris is a perfect example. Once you know that is there the level is pretty simple. 47 wasn’t always a ninja climbing warrior. But that’s the way they have gone and the game is still really fun. Sometimes Ill play with the rule that I won’t do any climbing I don’t think I could actually do (understanding that 47 can do it much faster than I can). I’ll balcony hop in Paris from the attic to the bathroom, bc I could do that- even if I’d do it without hanging on the ledge, but I won’t scale a 3 story drain pipe.

3 Likes

Not with that attitude, anyway… Pfft.

8 Likes

I climbed a 2 story rope once in gym class :smiley:

5 Likes

So did I! No pads on the floor, no safety harnesses, just climbing a rope while 25 other kids screamed and insisted that I’d fall (no one ever fell).

6 Likes

My main problem with it now is that because Suit Only is much more of a officially recognized component of Silent Assassin with related challenges, I expect the maps to be at least a bit more friendly or understanding of suit only possibilities and routes.

My main complaints about maps that don’t have suit only friendly opportunities or paths is mainly that it makes the map too stagnant and uninteresting to play suit only or really in certain ways a lot of the time. I can forgive Colorado for not being suit only friendly because it’s meant to be that way as part of the difficulty, and you can still get opportunities and unique kills moving through creative use and causing certain events.

I can’t forgive isle of sgail for not having any real kind of suit only component because the reason why it’s unfriendly is because everything requires a disguise to be triggered, and the targets routes inherently don’t have anything interesting you can do in your suit. The meeting between the five founders never happens, the Phoenix ceremony never starts, the plan to entrap the constant never goes down, the funeral never starts, the initiates never get enough coins to go to interrogation, etc. A lot of these problems could be solved by adding interactions with the environments in some way, but instead the targets just go on the same very small route with no real variation or interesting points.

1 Like