Well, god could play a role in all that actually. It is easy to say as we are unable to tell what god is supposed to be. But I think when medics saved your live, they deserve a little thumb-up too.
As a Dane, thanking god for either health, food or whatever else you could be thankful for, is so alien to me.
I do utter the word, “thank god” from time to time. But that’s more a saying, then acknowledging some deity.
We do though see a rise in fundamental Christianity in Denmark among young people. That makes me uncomfortable.
I try to say " Thank Godzilla" instead ![]()
I could begin to say “Thank the maker!” Like C3PO.
From my interpretation of the scripture, believers aren’t so much encouraged to thank God whenever He saves them, but to thank Him for sparing them. That He could kill them whenever He pleases, and that it’s only by staying in His good graces do we stay alive. Hence the constant praying, saying grace before meals and attributing everything to Him. It’s thank God for a stay of execution.
I worked with an atheist who wouldn’t even use God’s name out of habit, like “For God’s sake” or "God knows
". One day, a report was filtered through to them, and while such things are never happy reading, I knew something was wrong - really wrong - when the atheist took on a thousand-yard stare and said “Oh God…”
Yes, and that’s what I’m suggesting. But modern folks make public displays of gratitude to God specifically for saving them from whatever ailed them, as if He wasn’t the one who had it happen to begin with under the belief that he is in full control of everything. Blows my mind.
That’s true, they remember God took away their cancer, but not that He gave it to them in the first place!
“I’m busy forming and stretching whole galaxies and I’m getting prayed at for this?”
Reminds me of a bit George Carlin did in his final special.
God: “Yeah, yeah, I hear you, spelling test, Tuesday, get the fuck outta here, would you please!”
Trillions and trillions of prayers every day asking and begging and pleading for favors. ‘Do this’ ‘Gimme that’ ‘I want a new car’ ‘I want a better job’. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday. And I say fine, pray for anything you want. Pray for anything. But…what about the divine plan? Remember that? The divine plan. Long time ago God made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for billion and billions of years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn’t in God’s divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn’t it seem a little arrogant? It’s a divine plan. What’s the use of being God if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and f— up your plan? And here’s something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren’t answered. What do you say? ‘Well it’s God’s will. God’s will be done.’ Fine, but if it is God’s will and he’s going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the f— bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn’t you just skip the praying part and get right to his will?
George Carlin, from “You Are All Diseased”
The man was undeniably a genius when it came to controversial opinions!
Some of them aren’t exactly thanking god for how they played that day, but just continuously thanking god for the natural talent they were born with that has allowed them to perform at such a level and play sports for a living. Sure they work hard, but no amount of work is gonna make you or me play football like Deion Sanders could.
The theatrical versions of the Lord of The Rings trilogy are superior than the extended versions.
What do you mean? Clearly the superior version of King is the one that ends eleven fucking times in ten minutes.

The extended versions are beyond great, they are truly magnificent. However the extra amount of screen time aren’t necessary.
The theatrical versions has an overall better flow and feels more coherent in their overall presentation. We are splitting hairs when it comes to which versions are better.
Plus the original cut is plenty long.
Well “better” is purely subjective anyway. Some people will think the theatrical versions are superior and other will think the extended versions are. It’s all personal preference so enjoy whatever you want to enjoy!
The extended cuts provide lots of necessary context to truly encapsulate this world and its characters, as well as to how certain things that seem oddly edited in the theatrical version were actually meant to be shown. Particularly in regards to Bilbo’s opening narration in Fellowship, the true extend of Fangorn Forrest’s involvement in the battle in Towers, and Saruman’s actual fate in Return. The only thing from the theatrical versions missing from the Extended cuts that was better off was Galdalf’s line “he has no power anymore” about Saurman. Should have been left in alongside the rest of the actual scene.
Yes of course, I’m only speaking on my own behalf.
No, nothing in the extended cuts are necessary. They add a lot of context and flesh out the characters and the world they inhabit. They don’t change anything fundamental about the films, it’s not like the trilogy only makes sense when when you add in the extra scenes. Everything that was necessary was already in the theatrical release.
They are nice to have, they aren’t a need to have.
Agree to disagree I guess.
Just to understand you. So the theatrical versions doesn’t function as complete films? That without the extra scenes they don’t have a coherent narrative.
Just like it’s necessary for a bike cycle to have wheels for one to drive it.
More like a bicycle with wheels that don’t fit right. It still works, but it’s obvious that something is missing.
Perhaps I’m being too hyperbolic, so I’ll clarify: once you see the extended cuts, and see the context provided both for characters and scenes, the theatrical cuts are diminished. They don’t make as much sense anymore, they lack an enrichment that the extended cuts provide. Do they still work as complete stories? Sure. Is it obvious where whole sections are scooped out and what was on either side of them is stitched together to keep it whole? Yes.
So, the theatrical cuts are superior just because they still tell the story without the extra stuff but in a shorter time? If your goal is just to streamline, I guess. But for full context and more time with these characters and this world, time which enriches them even further, the extended cuts clearly reign supreme.