Upcoming Movies Thread

I liked how Buy-N-Large managed to beat Umbrella, Weyland-Yutani, OCP, and all those other fictional evil corporations in completely destroying the Earth and altering humanity, without even having to do anything evil. They just carried on business as usual and went overboard with it, and presto, no more planet. Seems to be the most human corporation ever.

4 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t Helmut Zemo in the MCU? Why is he not with the Thunderbolts? In fact why do they all have the same exact powerset barring Ghost who has intangibility? Why not just use some of the actual earlier Thunderbolts?

2 Likes

Same reason why Guardians of the Galaxy didn’t feature the actual earlier Guardians, or Teen Titans didn’t feature the actual earlier Titans; because average, casual viewers neither know, nor care about those ones.

i don’t think that’s it. casual viewers didn’t really know the abbnet guardians before the movies either. hell, most people didn’t really know iron man prior to the first movie; he was b/c tier for a long ass time.

2 Likes

That’s my point; the people making these went with whatever version they wanted rather than original rosters for many of these ensemble team movies, because nobody knows or cares about them before their release. How many folks know that Black Widow and Hawkeye were not original Avengers members? Or Killer Croc and Harley Quinn for Suicide Squad? Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy for the Teen Titans? Wolverine for X-Men? Pretty much any of the Guardians of the Galaxy from the films? Avid comic followers know, of course, but not mainstream fans. This lets the filmmakers take liberties that chaff against the expectations and sentiments of the hard core fans.

1 Like

the reason they didn’t use the original guardians or teen titans is because they weren’t the popular comic line-ups though, not because no one knew about their original line-ups. my point is that’s not the reason.

the reason they probably went for this line-up is because everyone recognises the characters from other franchises and it’s an easier sell with less set-up required. it is the safest option rather than the best, imo.

2 Likes

Well, I, for one, don’t have a clue who the Thunderbolts are, or who is supposed to be on the team (nor whether it’s even supposed to be a team). This isn’t the original lineup? Ok. Won’t spoil my entertainment in the least since I didn’t know there was an original lineup in the first place.

6 Likes

sure, and more power to you. i’m not remotely fussed about whether it’s the original line-up or not either. it’s opportunity cost; it’s a really boring line-up for the sake of brand recognition and cross promotion; not because they are interesting choices.

just their power set alone isn’t going to be particularly exciting, and the fun of team-ups - in terms of action set-pieces - is how each character brings or combines powers to solve problems.

2 Likes

Guarantee you, prior to the releases that made them popular with the mainstream, hardly anybody knew about the characters involved in the popular lineup or the original, who weren’t already huge fans of the property. Both the Titans and Guardians, for example, of any run, may have had a popular line up at one point, but hadn’t had any real relevance for roughly a decade prior to the series release that made them famous to mainstream. The makers picked the ones they knew and liked, as well as what the parent company gave them the rights to work with, instead of the original teams, because using the originals wasn’t important.

i literally said that?

i’m saying that whether they were known or not is irrelevant to marvel deciding to use this line-up.

1 Like

My point is that they all have the same fucking power set they are all basically just super soldiers and superspies with no variation to them they even seem to share the same visual stylings for crying out loud.

2 Likes

I suppose my response to that is “so?” I don’t really need to have every character be different. They are all different personalities and that’s what is critical (to me). A movie like the expendables features a bunch of clones, frankly, and did pretty well and was entertaining. I’m not disturbed by all of them being super soldiers, personally. Plus, Taskmaster, Ghost, and Widow aren’t super soldiers anyway, so that’s half the team that is different in one way or another.

1 Like

Wait Widow and Taskmaster are both Red Room graduates and from my understanding the Red Room was still using a milder version of their universe’s version of the Erskine formula so technically they are. Even then aside from Ghost who has a legitimate power Task and Widow are both just people who fight good.

It is like The Suicide Squad when Bloodsport points out that Waller is directly contradicting herself when she says she hires a variety of people with skills only to then add Peacemaker whose ability is also “Shoot stuff well but better”.

That is a flawed comparison it is like comparing the Howling Commandoes to the Avengers. Of course The Expendables are all military action hero types because they are still in something like our reality and they are a PMC unit with all of them are played by action heroes pretending the Hollywood landscape didn’t change while they were irrelevant.

The MCU has everything from gods to mages to (soon) mutants with interesting powers yet the whole team is just “Can take a beating and fights well” even some variation would have been welcome even adding The Abomination would be a step up, I know enough to know they reintroduced him into the MCU again

They also neutered the best part of the original Thunderbolts, that they were villains pretending to be a task force of superheroes. You went through the first issue thinking you were seeing a slightly more grey superhero team only to have it be revealed they are actually established supervillains in disguise. So they don’t even have anything that makes this team stand out from any other team.

2 Likes

Is this a movie or a show?

I know almost nothing of MCU and nothing of the comic books, but my impression is that they just threw in a bunch of side characters played by well-known actors from the recent MCU shows and movies that are too useless on their own in a single show.

2 Likes

Well, when the thing comes out I’ll either like it or I won’t, I suppose.

Also, where in any of the movies or tv shows did it ever imply that the Widows had super soldier serum? Black widow certainly didn’t and I don’t remember it ever being said or implied that the rest did?

2 Likes

I dunno, I haven’t seen anything since The Avengers but I don’t think you can survive that long without being real lucky or being somewhat enhanced and usually Black Widow does receive a version of the serum in most other media.

1 Like

Well the cinematic universe and the comics are different mediums so one doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the other. I am positive that the movie Widows did NOT get the super soldier serum. They’re just very, very good at what they do.

1 Like

Be Prepared… Two weeks from now hell breaks loose.

5 Likes

I remember when there were comics at ComicCon. Does anybody know where the hell my walker is? Are you my grandson?

5 Likes