What was your last purchase? 2.0

Yes!! Monkey Shoulder! My favourite single malt, what did you think?

1 Like

It’s a blended scotch, but we enjoyed it.

1 Like

:joy: I never realised it was blended? Lovely drop though none the less.

1 Like

I’m playing good on Tuesday.

4 Likes

Usually a single malt will tell you how old it is and blends will not. The law requires that if you declare an age, you use the age of the youngest scotch in the bottle, even if it’s only a very tiny amount of that kind and everything else is older. They don’t get to average it out. That’s why you’ll never find an age on Johnnie Walker Blue or other high end blends.

Good to know. We can get that up here and I was curious about it.

1 Like

If you LOVE makers mark or other wheated bourbons then it MIGHT MAYBE SORTA be worth your time. My group of pals mostly prefer scotch so keep that in mind when you weigh my review.

1 Like

I tend more towards Basil Hayden, Four Roses that sort of thing. I think if someone gave it to me it’d be a fine mixing bourbon but yeah, not a sipper.

1 Like

I like Basil Hayden a lot. That one and Woodford Reserve are my go-tos if I know the receiver really prefers bourbon over scotch (like won’t even have any of it). I used to keep Buffalo Trace in that group but then it ended up being the bourbon we carried at work forever and I grew tired of it.

Haven’t tried Woodford or Hayden - I do enjoy buffalo trace, though its a little sweeter than I prefer. Bulleit bourbon is great, it’s a high rye and makes for a bomb old fashioned.

1 Like

I have ordered a bulleit rye old fashioned at a bar before. Especially if it’s the type of place that doesn’t really make proper cocktails but the bartender will make a half hearted effort as long as you don’t go too crazy. I think I have had their non rye as well, but I prefer the green one which I think is the rye.

Hey do we have a cocktails and/or a beer, wine, and spirits drinks thread? I know in the old forum we kinda put drinks we wished to share in the cooking/eating thread. I don’t know if it makes sense to have a dedicated beverage thread or not, but we have wandered off topic now so I’ll shut up; I’ll leave it up to someone else to decide if we would benefit from an alcohol thread.

1 Like

Ahh I see :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: thank you for the whiskey lesson! What single malt would you recommend giving a try?

1 Like

Oh man there are so many good ones. Just like blends It really depends on if you like florally or fruity or pure campfire/wet ash tray.

Try the Cragganmore 12 year. It’s one of my favourites even though it’s only 12 years. Actually I think in terms of bang for your buck it’s the best choice. The MacAllens are all good but they don’t really live up to their name until you get to the older, more expensive bottles (25 years). The other household names are Glenfiddich and Glenliveit. Glenliveit makes a 15 year French oak that I enjoy.

2 Likes

This one?

3 Likes

Being Scottish, I should really actually learn some things about scotch since it is an area I know nothing about. I should at least own a bottle just for prosperity.

4 Likes

I would recommend this little handy book or similar. Probably a similar, since it’s in Danish.

I got a few good whiskies, like my Masterson’s and Oban.

7 Likes

Well, I have been to Oban actually. Gorgeous town, sortof place I’d love to retire too. I looked up the book but I think it is out of print, not to mention no idea if an English copy even exists. But yeah, maybe a good idea to find and buy another Whisky guide at some point.

The nearest distillery to me that isn’t in Edinburgh would be Glenkinchie Distillery. They actually do visitor tours, I’ve never actually a distillery before, maybe I should when everything reopens.

4 Likes

If we’re trading whisky recommendations, come over to the Bar:

3 Likes

Never know people there drink Hisky instead of whisky :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

New band for my garmin because the old one doesn’t want to stay on. :angry:
Hopefully this one will arrive soon, it’s been almost a week!

Just some simple, cheap running shoes. I’ve only been running since December so I don’t want to spend too much on shoes. I started running outside recently and got tired of having to constantly clean my treadmill shoes, so this pair will be for outdoors. I run on tracks/road/treadmills mostly so these aren’t trail shoes. I do have a fun trail nearby but it’s currently still too cold (in fact, it is snowing atm) so I’m holding off on worrying about nicer shoes until I have way more experience outside.

Also considering these as they may come in handy for work now that physical engagements are becoming a thing again, but who knows.

8 Likes