HITMAN 3 to become ‘World of Assassination’

“Ever expanding, ever dangerous. It will never stop challenging you.”

In 2015, we shared our vision for the World of Assassination; an ever-expanding game that would evolve over time and be the foundation for future HITMAN games. Those were the exact words we used and a central promise to how we’ve released the three games in the 7 years that followed.

Today, we’re excited to announce some upcoming changes to how our players (both existing and new) will experience, access and purchase HITMAN 1, HITMAN 2 and HITMAN 3. These changes will make it easier than ever to enter and enjoy the World of Assassination – and finally allow us to realise the vision we set out to achieve.

As of 26 January 2023, the following changes are planned to come into effect.

• HITMAN 3 will become ‘HITMAN World of Assassination’, which will also include access to HITMAN 1 and HITMAN 2 through our existing Access Pass system. Current HITMAN 3 owners will get a free upgrade to HITMAN World of Assassination on all platforms
  • We’re drastically simplifying the purchase experience for new players. HITMAN World of Assassination will be the single available option to start playing.

Essentially, these two changes will mean that all new players and existing HITMAN 3 owners will have the same base content ownership. There will be no more confusion over which edition to buy, what content you own, how to redeem Legacy packs or import locations, etc. We’re done with that.

THE WORLD OF ASSASSINATION

We’re approaching these changes with a no compromises approach. We want to make absolutely sure that the experience of entering or enjoying the World of Assassination is simple and straightforward.

Let’s break it down. We’re streamlining the (many) offerings currently on the stores down to two products. These will replace existing ways to buy HITMAN 1, HITMAN 2 or HITMAN 3.

HITMAN – World of Assassination (approx. $70 USD or local equivalent)
Includes: HITMAN 3, plus H1 GOTY Access Pass and H2 Standard Access Pass.

HITMAN – World of Assassination Deluxe Pack (approx. $30 USD or local equivalent)
Includes: H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass.

That’s it. Those are the only two products that new players need to consider when buying any HITMAN game digitally as of January 26, 2023.

PLAYER-FRIENDLY FLEXIBILITY

We want the experience for new players to be straightforward and concrete. We believe the above changes will achieve that. However, for existing players, who cover a huge matrix of different ownership combinations, we’re being a little bit more flexible – but still with a strong approach for simplicity.

The reason for this flexibility is that we know many of you own certain games or DLCs but not others, and we don’t want to force anyone to (re)buy what they already own. We think that’s a good enough reason to still have a few options – but these options won’t be front and centre for new players. The idea is to keep these details visible to those who might need them.

STEAM COMPLETE THE SET
On Steam, we are going to implement ‘complete the set’ functionality for the three DLC packs included in the HITMAN World of Assassination Deluxe Pack (H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass). This will mean you only pay an even split for whatever content you don’t own. For example, if you own 2 of the DLCs, you’ll only pay $10 for the remaining DLC, rather than having to pay full price for the full Deluxe Pack.

IN-GAME STORE
On other platforms, we’ve added each individual DLC from the new WoA Deluxe Pack (H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass) to the IN-GAME store, again priced with an even split ($10 USD each). If you own some (but not all) of that content, you’ll be able to buy whatever you’re missing – at a new and reduced price.

STOREFRONT CHANGES
An important detail that we want to be clear about amongst these changes, is that we’re removing the standalone HITMAN 1 and HITMAN 2 products from sale on all platforms. If you already own these games, you’ll still be able to access them in the exact same way that you do today. Of course, the majority of the content included in these games remains playable through HITMAN World of Assassination, with all of the improvements that were introduced with HITMAN 3.

On that note, and for extra clarity, HITMAN 3 will remain available in its current standalone form through the upcoming ‘HITMAN – World of Assassination’.

FINAL THOUGHTS

We’re absolutely certain that these changes will have a hugely positive effect on existing players and new players alike. It will also make our lives a lot easier too, there’s no doubting that.

For many players, it will mean free content to enjoy. For others, it will mean significantly cheaper DLC prices. For new players, who probably aren’t reading this here, they’ll have a much better experience buying HITMAN games.

The changes have also been made with the Freelancer game mode in mind, where being able to easily access all locations from across the World of Assassination is paramount to maximising your enjoyment.

Between now and when these changes come into effect, we’ll be keeping a close eye on the reactions and questions that arise.

Thanks for reading and supporting us.

33 Likes

On a personal note, this makes me want the 38 legacy 2016 escalations and 111 Content Rich challenges that were never brought to Hitman 3 to come to the game even more now, given that Hitman 2016 and 2 are being taken down from the stores. RIP to the Sarajevo Six I guess

Also, still no mention of the Trinity Pack being made available as a DLC

21 Likes

It’s definitely a good way to streamline buying the game. I just wonder why it didn’t happen earlier?

8 Likes

HITMAN World of Assassination should also include the Hitman 2 DLC by default. By not doing so it still suffers from the ridiculous convoluted ways of aqquiring content because you’re now telling people they gotta go purchase a HITMAN World of Assassination Hitman 2 DLC Access Pack which is just silly.

It’s simple. Make HITMAN World of Assassination have ALL H1 and H2 content, and the H3 base game. Trying to separate the H2 DLC from this package is silly.

13 Likes

Ugh, that awkward-ass subtitle is becoming official for the trilogy as a whole? They really should have given these games their own individual subtitles, or at least had a better one for combining them as a whole. Opportunities lost.

Maybe you shouldn’t have done that in the first place, but I’m a simple man without a programming degree, what do I know.

4 Likes

Sniper multiplayer (and ghost mode) :frowning:

10 Likes

Those are gone and are not returning, they are hosting neither on their servers anymore.

I wonder if the title screen will have new music? :thinking: :grin: :crossed_fingers:

Would be cool if they do, but cooler if we could set any of the 3 versions. They’re each so good in their own ways!

22 Likes

Excellent news.

Happy to see that the vision of one global game for the whole content is finally coming to life :hugs:

Let’s just hope that it will not make complications regarding access to legacy content (HITMAN 1&2) and transferring account data from one game to another :grimacing:

Also, since it’s supposed to be the whole game on one roof it would be reasonable to bring back all missing content from previous games (Missions, tools, weapons, …) so we don’t have to go back and forth between games to have the whole content :thinking:

What is also confusing at the moment is how you are going to manage all of this…

Is it a newer version of HITMAN Trilogy or are you just rebranding HITMAN 3?

I think that removing HITMAN and HITMAN 2 from stores is a bad idea unless you are going to merge everything into one roof for the best.

There are things that i prefer in the first game and others that i like in the latest installment of the trilogy. Restricting the whole trilogy into only one available game would be wrong as there are lots of things that differ from one to another, especially gameplay features!

Putting everything into one roof will mean that players will have no choice regarding gameplay mechanics, graphics, missions, weapons and tools, but also 47’s face.

So much things differ from HITMAN (2016) to HITMAN 3 that it is a high risk to propose only one version of the game without checking the ensemble before that :worried:

Maybe put this standalone version of HITMAN as the ultimate update of the trilogy but as another game instead of only renaming HITMAN 3?

→ HITMAN (2016): only one version (full pack)
→ HITMAN 2 (2018): same (full pack only)
—> HITMAN 3 (2021): complete pack

So no more (or much less) confusions about purchasing. Then:

----> HITMAN: WoA (with updates and discounts) | a.k.a the actual “HITMAN: Trilogy”

With eventually the option of either selecting a standalone game (as a legacy preservation) OR using HITMAN 3 mechanics for the whole stuff…

We’re one step closer to perfecting the HITMAN experience anyway.
Wishing the best to developers still working on that beloved franchise :+1:

Check also (for deeper insight): A different (and better?) way of bringing the WoA into life.

3 Likes

You should probably put the Blog Post Link at the top, Luke
(IO Interactive)
EDIT: Don’t worry homie I got you. I have the power.

So Finally… The EVERYTHING bundle…

HITMAN – World of Assassination (approx. $70 USD or local equivalent)
Includes: HITMAN 3, plus H1 GOTY Access Pass and H2 Standard Access Pass.

HITMAN – World of Assassination Deluxe Pack (approx. $30 USD or local equivalent)
Includes: H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass.

This is a fantastic (and surprisingly cheap overall) bundle, that I’m surprised they must have somehow got WB and Squenix to agree to (as they’re still the “owners” of those versions/content of HITMAN, right? )
Though this just makes the “Hitman Trilogy” and all that for last year’s release seem even more perplexing.

Includes: HITMAN 3, plus H1 GOTY Access Pass

Though tbh this move is even more confusing (but appreciated!!) considering GOTY was the only and default access pass option for Hitman 3, until the Steam release came along, and IOI decided to split it again into Standard and GOTY and GOTY add-on.

The “Complete The Set” thing on steam to pay the split difference of what people don’t own is a great move.
Locking the INDIVIDUAL DLC behind the in-game store might turn out a bit confusing for folks, but they’ll adapt and it’s fantastic that they’re keeping that option instead of scrapping it like in 2016.

The changes have also been made with the Freelancer game mode in mind, where being able to easily access all locations from across the World of Assassination is paramount to maximizing your enjoyment.

Aha. Yeah there it is. Just as I thought. All being done so that everyone can “access” Freelancer as it’ll be a full-game, full-location showcase.

Very Smart Job, IOI! Finally, some sort of HITMAN Release that doesn’t look like it has tons of ownership issues, expensive pricing, or confusing bundling.
They must have crunched a bunch of numbers to get those bundles so low and to go back yet again on the H3 Release format. But it’s looking way better now.

Looking less and less likely there’s a substantial Year 3 in the works, with a paid DLC people may have been hoping for. (for either an extra map or something)

8 Likes

PRO difficulty from H1 :frowning_face:

11 Likes

Huehue, we called it. Hell, I even got the timing right :grin:

Aah, feels so good to be proven right after all this time… (totally worth it to dig up these old posts just for this btw, lol)

Something I´m personally hoping for. Not new per se, but some kind of loop between all three main themes or the ability to choose or something.

12 Likes

Sniper coop is still available in Hitman 2.

3 Likes

It’s good that they’re finally simplifying the way to buy the trilogy since it’s a barrier of convenience to many new entrants (although it’s quite late already). I really wish they would make the Trinity Pack and Sarajevo Six available, at least for purchase.

Also, I was more excited about a “Road to Freelancer” blog post than this one…hope it’s coming soon from IOI. :confused:

7 Likes

Maybe they’re still working out platforms, but I’m wondering: Is this gonna be a Next-Gen bundle change, or are PS4/XboxOne users will also get this option?

Seems silly to overlook, but it could happen :grimacing:

Also, still no mention of the Trinity Pack being made available as a DLC

Oh yeah this is also pretty disappointing considering they’re just suits and guns! It costs them next to nothing to release them again, and hopefully they don’t release it as yet another, tiny paid add-on to this bundle scheme :joy:
Maybe it’ll be some online server-side change to unlock them all for everyone once Freelancer is out. I’m sure no one cares if it would be free. It’s been nearly 2 years

5 Likes

Nice, but this isn’t Hitman 2. It’s H3, or WoA as it will now be, and co-op is not available and they’ve said before that they’re not bringing it in. How is it available on H2, anyway, they specifically said they shut that down?

Is there something compensation for the player that bought the H1&2 earlier?

1 Like

And? It’s still a gamemode that’ll be unplayable outside of mods when they take down h2. Aside from existing owners that is.

? They never did.

3 Likes

I think it’s a bit weird to have New York and Haven not part of the base game, even when they’re part of the main storyline and Freelancer. Something like Patient Zero would make more sense as part of the Deluxe package imo.

Also a minor nitpick, but I couldn’t not notice how the maps on the image below are mostly in their story order until you get to some weird spots like Bangkok being swapped with Colorado and Sgail being jammed in at the end (also I don’t recall it ever being called Dartmoor Manor, only either Dartmoor or Thornbridge Manor).

Though in general I think this is a good change.

9 Likes

Good move IO. A single entry point to this masterpiece, finally.

When the time comes, all that’s left to do is to offer a complete offline mode for the remaining critical features and this trilogy will be able to live a well deserved peaceful end.

23 Likes